Skip to content

Experience cap- Dual Classing/multiclassing-Please don't just view this thread but reply.....

RedRustRedRust Member Posts: 6
So...here's how I thought dual classing would work and limit you: I thought that since the exp cap is 8 million, if I wanted to dual class as a fighter into a mage I would have to choose some combination of xp between the fighter and mage that would add up to <= 8 million. So for example:
I get to lvl 21 as a fighter (3.25 million).
I then dual class, and now I get to lvl 22 (4.5 million) as a mage.

The sum being 7.75 million and thus a 21/22 dual class.

Is this correct???

And for multiclass, am I right to apply a similar limiting factor where doing a triple multiclass will only get you something like 18/19/17 kinda stuff?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I bring all this up is I've read elsewhere from people:
"I've tested it myself in IWDEE. You can get a level 30/30/30 character with no mods or anything. The cap is 30 regardless of the class. I can't show a screenshot of IWDEE for another 12 hours or so, but if you look in the manual you'll see that thieves for instance only have 30 levels written in for them even though that is only 4.4 million xp (pg 364). The reason being that 8,000,000 total xp might be the limit for some classes (because its around there that they hit level 30), but it isn't for multi-classes or characters like thieves. "

"Characters are capped at level 30, exactly as they were was in the original game. The 8 million XP limit is per class, not per character.

Meaning that yes, a level 30/30/30 multi-classed Fighter/Mage/Thief is possible, just like it was in the original game. You would need around 24 million XP for that though, which isn't that easy to reach, even with Heart of Fury mode, unless you're playing solo. "
Quartz

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2014
    The important thing about the level cap in IWD is your chances or reaching it are very very slim. Nor is there much point in trying to: there are no HLAs so most classes stop getting good stuff around 3 MXP, which is around the absolute maximum you can get in a normal game.

Even in HoF mode (which sucks) you wouldn't want to duel class your fighter after level 13.
    elminsterjackjackGrabtharsHammer
  • RedRustRedRust Member Posts: 6
    gad dawmt that doesnt answer my OCD QUESTIONS lol
    actually, one can you answer it , and two if it is different than the way I thought it was, is this game different from like Baldur's Gate?
    edited November 2014
    It's a level cap, not an xp cap, so the most xp you could gain on a character is a 30/30/30 multiclass, add up the level 30 xp for each class.

Hypothetically, you could duel class your fighter at level 30, then reach level 30 again as a mage.

That would be my understanding, but it's a question of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" it would never happen so it has no meaning.
    and dual class can you do 29/30? And is this different from how Baldur's Gate treats it?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I wonder who will be the first to get there by completing multiple HoF playthroughs.
    jackjack

I wonder who will be the first to get there by completing multiple HoF playthroughs.

Someone with Asperger's syndrome and OCD.
    edited November 2014
    lol. Well can someone with Asperger's also be a sex god?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited November 2014
    The XP model works in BG, IWD uses the level model, regardless of XP.

But as people said, no HLAs makes scaling at high levels taper off significantly, doubly so for non-casters (those at least gain some extra spell slots).

As a result, dualing at higher levels than usual (i.e. 7 or 9 which seem to be the most popular ones) should in fact become MORE attractive (moderately high level in two classes > one low, one very high), not less - in THEORY. In practice, the XP gains level out fairly quickly even in HoF mode, meaning it's quite challenging to get to very high levels without repeat re-imports. There's also the APR issue with fighters, as GM adds an extra 1/2 APR in IWD compared to BG and there are several +APR weapons available, resulting in possible wasted APR from dualing at 13 over 7+ due to the 5 APR hard cap.

On the other hand, the system also strengthens multi-class, as you don't need to reach very high levels to approach the effectiveness of a dual/single-class alternative. Kit advantages (and XP advantages, to a degree) remain, and may very well skew things in favor of dual, but it's something to keep in mind.
  • LlandonLlandon Member Posts: 6
    I finished the game with a solo F/M/T. On insane I hit the level cap around lower Dorans Seep IIRC. 30/30/30. Not sure about dual class.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    In the bug section there is a thread about this. It's said that with multiclass the level cap is 30 for each class, for dual the cap is 8 million, so NOT for each class.
    I commented there that the best for me it's to make it works like bg, otherwise in the long run single classed character are too much penalized (i say like this only because my fav class is a single one, and can't dual too:D)
    elminster
  • macomeaumacomeau Member Posts: 80
    RedRust said:

and dual class can you do 29/30? And is this different from how Baldur's Gate treats it?

You're supposed to be able to, yes. And yes, that's different from BG. As mentioned, there's currently a bug that caps dual class characters at 8 million total XP.
    elminsterjackjack
  • GrabtharsHammerGrabtharsHammer Member Posts: 27
    Hmm... one second, the guy in the magic mirror behind the barmaid is throwing an oblong pigskin ball.. well just wrong!

Ah.. here it is!

To OCD!