Skip to content

Evil Party

Hi,
I've played IWD many times and usually with a good-aligned party of multi/dual characters. The EE has great new kits and spells, so I've decided to try an evil-aligned single classes only party, going through on core rules.

Blackguard
Dwarven Defender
Skald
Sorcerer
Priest of Tempus
Assassin.

Looking forward to combining Chaos of Battle, Skald song and Aura of Despair.

Any one got ideas about sorcerer spells? I presume 1 cast per battle spells like emotions hope/courage and haste are better cast by a Skald. Should sorcerer have web, chaos, greater malison and slow? or will they hamper it's power development?

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    My one fear is that you'll be seriously lacking healing. Remember, evil clerics don't get Heal. You might want to swap out the skald for a vanilla bard for War Song of Sith if you don't want to rest constantly.
  • gjbgjb Member Posts: 12
    I think I'm resigned to having to rest constantly.
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    You can always buy heal scrolls for emergencies?
    schreier said:

You can always buy heal scrolls for emergencies?

Yes, something to spend all that gold on!

True. I assume evil clerics can still use those, I don't actually know. But yeah, by the time you get to Dorn's Deep you should have more gold than you know what to do with anyway. Although I guess Nym does have some nice-but-expensive stuff.
    Jarrakul said:

True. I assume evil clerics can still use those, I don't actually know. But yeah, by the time you get to Dorn's Deep you should have more gold than you know what to do with anyway. Although I guess Nym does have some nice-but-expensive stuff.

Don't know if evil clerics can use Heal scrolls.

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    gjb said:

Don't know if evil clerics can use Heal scrolls.

It should be easy to check. Start new game with random evil cleric, clua console create the scroll (code was SPPR607C in non-EE version) and you will know. I would love to do it for you, but I don't have the game yet =[
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Healing isn't too key, provided your magic can disable most enemies. Skald Song and Righteous Wrath are made for each other though, so maybe aim for shared alignments for all 4 fighting characters? Not certain you can work that out, but the Assassin, Blackguard and Priest of Tempus are gonna want an extra Apr.

Sorcerer should go for spells you'll want to cast during the battle, since the Skald will be singing the whole time. Not many selective AoE damage spells, so concentrate on disabling spells, and take the odd AoE damager to start battles. The nice thing about a Sorcerer is you'll always have some high level options when you get the slots.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    glitterdust and slow are two great spells for sorcerers
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Wait... evil clerics can't heal in this game!? That's pretty sick imho. Currently I'm playing a 4-man good/neutral party on 'Insane' difficulty. The game is actually not as hard as I expected it to be but especially in the early levels my cleric/ranger had all her slots pumped full of healing spells. But then again I play every battle as if I don't know that it's coming. That means I don't pre-buff my party unless it's blatantly obvious there is a tough battle ahead.

Nevertheless it probably means a substantial gold difference if you always have to heal at temples, buy potions, etc. Without healing spells you regenerate virtually no health while resting.
    Evil clerics get low-level healing spells. They don't get Heal.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    Jarrakul said:

Evil clerics get low-level healing spells. They don't get Heal.

Oh, lol... ;D That's a different story of course. The 'Heal' spell itself isn't that important.
    To clarify the best healing spell an evil cleric can get heals 17 health. Besides Heal they also can't get Raised Dead, Greater Restoration, Regeneration, Resurrection, Cure Critical Wounds, and Mass Cure Light Wounds. Instead they get opposites for these spells. Wither instead of Regeneration, Energy Drain instead of Greater Restoration, etc. Neutral clerics get most of the same spells as good clerics with some exceptions.
    I may change out the Skald for an Archer. The quick missile damage may be better in combat than a bard.
    As for healing, starting Sorcerer as a half-elf with 18 Con will allow him regen HP with added Con the Dragon Disciple gets on levelling up, same for dwarf, there is at least 1 Con boosting item to get his Con to 20.
    I'd keep the Skald. The power of that song is too much to deny. Its going to take a long time before its really powerful but its worth the wait.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    gjb said:

I may change out the Skald for an Archer. The quick missile damage may be better in combat than a bard.
    As for healing, starting Sorcerer as a half-elf with 18 Con will allow him regen HP with added Con the Dragon Disciple gets on levelling up, same for dwarf, there is at least 1 Con boosting item to get his Con to 20.

Archers can't be evil. Blackguards and Assassins can dish out missile damage effectively though.
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    I have an evil party something like that

- Barbarian with axe and shield, a real wall
    - Blackguard with a two handed sword
    - Swachbucler with two longsword
    - Skald at range, a crossbow, and the skald song is very good
    - Cleric / illusionist
    - Fighter (elf) for longbow

It's a good party but not the best.

For the thief i choose the swachbucker, the game is plenty of undead, don't have time to sneak and backstab.
    It's definitly not baldur's gate, but door -> plenty of monster.

Fardragon said:

gjb said:

Archers can't be evil. Blackguards and Assassins can dish out missile damage effectively though.
    Yes, forgot about Ranger alignment.