Skip to content

Suffering from rerollitis!

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
Hello! I unfortunately appear to be suffering from rerollitis! I come up with a great character RP concept and start and get through all of Baldur's Gate 1 before going and trying a new character and never getting to BG2. I've completed BG2 only twice while I've completed BG1 numerous times. I have a Dirgesinger Bard (song and silence mod), Cleric, and Wizard all at the end of BG1 ready to move on to BG2 but then I get a new idea and feel like I must start all over again.

So I ask of thee to help me either come up with a reason to skip BG1 and go straight to BG2 with my char concepts or just actually be able to stick with one character from beginning to end. I'm currently wanting to make a Neutral Evil Elf Female Blackguard (BG2 tweaks, my savior~) and make an evil necromancy-themed party but I don't want to hit the end of BG1 again only to want to start over again @_@.

THIS AFFLICTION CURSES ME SO!

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited November 2014

I started doing something slightly different(perhaps) that helped me play one game from start to finish when I felt my itching rerolleritis. Once I want to try a new character I just change charname to another class/race/name/etc and RP as charname died and Imoen(or someone else) leads the party until they find another bhaalspawn who either command the party by fear or respect(depending on who the new bhaalspawn is) and sometimes even kills many of the members, maybe even all of them and the story continues with that character(but Imoen should be kept alive, sadly?).

This is a very interesting idea, but perhaps instead of RPing that the charname died and was replaced by someone entirely different, it might be easier to RP that charname is able to reinvent/"regenerate" him/herself as an entirely new class and persona, the same way Dr. Who does whenever its lead actor is replaced.

(Here's an explanation for anyone who isn't familiar with the show:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXCpY_3Sac8 )
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Vallmyr said:

Hello! I unfortunately appear to be suffering from rerollitis! I come up with a great character RP concept and start and get through all of Baldur's Gate 1 before going and trying a new character and never getting to BG2. I've completed BG2 only twice while I've completed BG1 numerous times. I have a Dirgesinger Bard (song and silence mod), Cleric, and Wizard all at the end of BG1 ready to move on to BG2 but then I get a new idea and feel like I must start all over again.

So I ask of thee to help me either come up with a reason to skip BG1 and go straight to BG2 with my char concepts or just actually be able to stick with one character from beginning to end. I'm currently wanting to make a Neutral Evil Elf Female Blackguard (BG2 tweaks, my savior~) and make an evil necromancy-themed party but I don't want to hit the end of BG1 again only to want to start over again @_@.

THIS AFFLICTION CURSES ME SO!

Maybe you're simply better off sticking to BG1? - there's much more room to RP in BG1 than in BG2 IMO, as BG2 is much more powergame oriented with a heavy bias toward magic.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

I started doing something slightly different(perhaps) that helped me play one game from start to finish when I felt my itching rerolleritis. Once I want to try a new character I just change charname to another class/race/name/etc and RP as charname died and Imoen(or someone else) leads the party until they find another bhaalspawn who either command the party by fear or respect(depending on who the new bhaalspawn is) and sometimes even kills many of the members, maybe even all of them and the story continues with that character(but Imoen should be kept alive, sadly?). Good locations I have used for change of charname is the old sun god temple, a certain dragon dungeon famed for its paladin treasures, the magical prison, the city full of evil elves or even in place of other game npcs.

All the dialogue charname has with people only heshe could know of is done by Imoen who practically has the same background as you, I don't know how much of bg2 you have finished but there are a few encounters with old friends/enemies that I let Imoen speak in, the way this is done in most cases is by letting Imoen speak with them first that way her name will show up in dialogue. I have not bumped into any major difficulties by doing this but there is some small things that get a bit, weird as in a certain prison for magical deviants. The most simple fix for this is to always have someone from bg1 with you in the party and if you want to bring someone who did not appear in bg2 you can just make that char with keeper and multiplayer game magic.

I like to do it like this but it is not the solution for everyone, for me it keeps the game fresh and a bit more interesting. And if you want to do it real hardcore you could fill out the blanks of the sudden change of charname by writing a text, drawing or maybe even do it in another more mod-friendly game as a short mod. I don't do that though...

I don't think there is a cure for rerolleritis but this is a treatment I use and recommend :p

Hope my gibberish is understandable!

On the idea of having a character from BG1 lead the party I recently discovered the Alora BG2:EE mod and she is my favorite NPC from BG1 so I may have her lead the adventure XD

I like that idea a lot though. In PnP D&D my rerollitis is usually kept in check because if/when my character dies I know I can bring a new person in and continue the story. Maybe I'll actually do it where if I die while playing I'll roll up a new char and use EE keeper to change the PC.

Thanks!
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    I, too, suffer from the rerollitis. Sadly, this has kept me from beating BG2 more than once. BG 1, though, that has kept me going. Just hit 500 hours in BG1 on Steam and only a measly 320 for 2. At least I have some massive metagame knowledge of the first game, right?
    Frond said:

I, too, suffer from the rerollitis. Sadly, this has kept me from beating BG2 more than once. BG 1, though, that has kept me going. Just hit 500 hours in BG1 on Steam and only a measly 320 for 2. At least I have some massive metagame knowledge of the first game, right?

I know the feels to a lesser extent XD

125 hours on BG1
    83 hours in BG2
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited November 2014
    lolien said:
    I didn't even know this was a thing.
    This is wonderful.
    I feel so relieved to know I'm not the only one like this XD
    Post edited by Vallmyr on