Skip to content

IWD:EE First Timer Questions

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
I am surprised more new IWD players aren't using this subforum for spoiler-free questions. I know IWD is less story and more combat than BG, but still...

I have heard that IWD is even harder than BG, so as always, although I intend to play blind, I would like to make reasonable preparations, get things in order, write a will... etc

1) I see your party all starts at lv1... so the game is mostly low level combat like in BG1? If so I guess more fighters/archers and less mages? I do like my arcane magic but I got a feeling a bunch of magic geeks won't survive the harsh winters of the far north.

2) Am I right in assuming that there is no Charname? So no individual death will automatically result in a reload? Also... no NPCs, so if you're playing no-reload, that means no means of replacing a perma-dead party member? What do you guys normally do? What is intended? Oh does this also mean multiple familiars are possible?

3) EEKeeper and Console works for IWD:EE right? I suppose that means I could cheat in replacement characters and give them a comparable amount of xp as the deceased... but is that too cheaty?

4) Given low level combat... Is it pretty pointless to dual-class cos you won't enjoy the benefits for very long? (I do like Kensai=>Mage, but I got a feeling it's not worth it for this game.)

5) How does this provisional party look? Both in terms of classes and weapon types (reasonable availability). I know some of them are not "powergaming-correct", but I am trying to balance functionality with RP preference.

Human Fighter: Two Handed Style, Two Handed Sword, Crossbow.
Dwarven Defender: Sword and Shield Style, War Hammer, Axes.
Elf Ranger/Cleric: One Handed Style, Long Bow, 1-Handed Sword.
Half-Elf Fighter/Druid*: One Handed Style, Scimitar, Sling.
Half-Elf Kensai/Mage (EEKeeper): One Handed Style, 1-Handed Sword
Half-Elf Fighter/Thief: One Handed Style, Short Sword, Short Bow.

@CrevsDaak‌ am I right in assuming that the Kensai/Druid mod you made for me won't work in IWD:EE?

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    1) Your party starts at level 1, but you'll level up fast. You'll be level 3/4 before noticing :)

2)You are right. Anyone can die, and you'll be able to continue the game. I don't think I've ever seen a perma-death in IWDEE.

3) Yes, they work (the new version of EEKeeper has benn tested with IWDEE).

4) No. You are welcome to dual class. Maybe not a 13 level dual, but a 7 or 9 level dual is definitely Ok.

5) The party it's OK.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited November 2014
    @Pibaro DA BEST!

On a serious note:

1- I'd not worry for mages in IWD:EE, You'll be able to cast powerful spell in no time, just use frontliners as always! ;D

2- IIRC there are not spells which grant your party members permadeath, but I might be wrong;

3- sure, just remember that IWD:EE console is the same as all others IE:EE games, no like vanilla IWD;

4- As Pibaro said, you can low-level dual for profit, even if in IWD I prefer specific multiclass to dualclass;

5- just don't worry to powergame here. ;)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    There are spells that perma kill your party members. Finger of Death perma kills in IWD, unlike in BG2. (there is no -2 penalty to save vs spells in iwd though) And also, the usual suspect, Disintegrate. There are a few enemies that cast these spells on you, so beware. I can't remember a single instance a party member was chunked (or burned, or frozen to death) via massive damage. I mean, chunking can happen but it never dissappeared the portrait so no perma kill from high damage.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't have IWD:EE yet so I couldn't say, but I'd recommend not using it until I know what it could change unintentionally (if you want to test, you're more than welcome to do so).
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    You will go up levels a lot faster than in BG. You'll likely be mid-teens when you finish.

I often dual class, but then I like lower level duals. In my current party I'm planning on dualing my thief to mage at 6th level. 6th is all the more thief levels you'll ever need in this game.

There may not be any NPCs, but its not a big deal to swap out party members during the game. A couple times I've added or changed a character after the start. The only harm is experience lost.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Heindrich said:

1) I see your party all starts at lv1... so the game is mostly low level combat like in BG1?

No. While you start at level 1, your characters can go all the way to level 30. So you'll end up with the full range of character development.

Belanos said:

Heindrich said:

1) I see your party all starts at lv1... so the game is mostly low level combat like in BG1?

No. While you start at level 1, your characters can go all the way to level 30. So you'll end up with the full range of character development.

Although it would take multiple play throughs to reach level 30. I think, depending on class, md-teens is more likely for a single "core" play through.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    atcDave said:

Although it would take multiple play throughs to reach level 30. I think, depending on class, md-teens is more likely for a single "core" play through.

I guess looking at the various charts was kind of misleading then. It's been so long since I've played the game that I'm not sure what a reasonable level would be. It will certainly be more than BG1 though.

edited November 2014
    Belanos said:

atcDave said:

I guess looking at the various charts was kind of misleading then. It's been so long since I've played the game that I'm not sure what a reasonable level would be. It will certainly be more than BG1 though.

Oh yeah, it will be more like late BG2.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    1 - no, yes, no
    2 - yes, yes, yes, nothing, permadeath, no
    3 - yes, yes, yes
    4 - no, it is
    5 - R/C cannot use bow/sword & cannot by default be Elf; Kensai/Druid mod should work, but you could kEEper it anyway
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Ouch. Massive damage can perma kill in IWD. Just had this unfourtunate accident where a glyph of warding trap toasted my sorcerer so blackly his portrait was gone. I was playing on insane difficulty so he took something like 50+ shocking damage in a single hit, while he had 30 or so hp.