Skip to content

Real Challenge: Defeat Adamantite Golem in HoF

MapleMaple Member Posts: 26
So I do HoF from Level 1...
Now My Sorceress just get her first level 7 spell...
And I think to myself: what could be more fun than the Limited Wish spell...
After all, there is no spell more efficient than Improved Haste...
Thus I will take what I like thereafter...
Mass Invisibility and Spell Sequencer, wait a little will ya?

I easily got the sweet gift of Djinni...
Full Plate Mail +2 and Glasses of Identification...
I even tried a horde to overrun my enemies...
And see those tiny rabbits each with 83HP...

Funny. Now let's get more experienced...
Then out jumped Adamantite Golem and his two buddies...
Juggernaut Golem and Sand Golem...
And they were like:

Adamantite Golem:
THAC0 -8 , 4D10+12 damage , 3 APR , Health 320
Resistance : Fire 125 Cold 100 Electricity 100 Acid 100 Poison 100
Magic 100 Slashing 90 Piercing 90 Crushing 90 Missile 90
Immunity : +2 weapon and below, Backstab, Sleep

Juggernaut Golem:
THAC0 -2 , 3D8+10 damage , 3 APR , Health 290
Resistance : Magic 100 Poison 100 Slashing 90 Piercing 90 Missile 90
Immunity : +1 weapon and below, Backstab, Slow, Flesh to Stone

Sand Golem:
THAC0 1 , 3D10+8 damage , 3 APR , Health 290
Resistance : Fire 50 Cold 100 Electricity 100 Poison 100
Magic 100 Slashing 85 Piercing 85 Missile 100
Immunity : +1 weapon and below, Backstab

Golem Slow, Gas Cloud...
The big guy 2 shot finished my 100+HP Archer...
I reload within and without the blink of an eye...

I thought I killed these three buddies numerous times in BG2EE...
BUT this time they seem to come for real....
Post edited by Maple on
jackjackkensaiJuliusBorisovFinneousPJlolienPibaroelminster

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    maybe summon in some elementals before hand to help soak up some damage and maybe even dish a little bit out
    lolien
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    I would muster a summon tactic as well , it pretty much looks like it.

But archers may not work here , with 90 resistance and 320 health , and I as remember the AI is set to not to chase you but "cut" your path. It's going to be an extreme heist if you can pull that off , even with summons. Hell , the summons will be useless if the golem is coming after you.

So , melee. And if golem targets you , have a summon or two ready to cut its path out before it freaks your character up. I say don't worry about slows much , if slow goes to cancel haste every time I don't remember.
    Try to look for a crack in the AI : say "the golem is targetting everytime a PC is near ?" or it is after it only if takes damage from it. It matters a hell a lot in the case.

The battle will be hard , yes. And I don't own IWD:EE.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    well you can't kill a adamantine golem with 7lvl sorc
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Doesn't an Adamantite Golem also need +3 or better weapons to hit? Sounds fairly impossible to kill at that point in the game.

Doesn't an Adamantite Golem also need +3 or better weapons to hit? Sounds fairly impossible to kill at that point in the game.

An important question mark as well
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @Maple‌, who do you have in team? Or is it a solo run?

@everybody, is golem attack magical?
    kensai said:

well you can't kill a adamantine golem with 7lvl sorc

Sorc is higher level than 7, because she can cast spells from level 7.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    level 7 spells would require a level 14 sorcerer
    edited November 2014
    wubble said:

level 7 spells would require a level 14 sorcerer

... and you don't "simply" go HoF from level 1 with one sorcerer. You're welcome to try though , why not ? There are ways come to my mind , like erasing party members... Or just hack it out :D I don't know if slaying those goblins are even mandatory tied to the main quest because you could've just run past them , with Mage Armor or Shield , its pretty hard by vanilla.
    Maple said:

So I do HoF from Level 1...

Shikao said:

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited November 2014
    Melfs minute meteors hit golems, you will do 1 damage with each hit. The golems that are not immune to fire will take even more damage. A sorc can do 5-10 damage a round with meteors, since they have 5 attack/round, provided there are summons plenty to keep golems at bay.

Umm I just noticed adamantite golem has like 125 fire resistance, does this mean it will regenerate from the meteor's fire damage, in essence healing the 1 point of missile it does? Bummer.
    JuliusBorisov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Doesn't an Adamantite Golem also need +3 or better weapons to hit?

Yes
  • schreierschreier Member Posts: 79
    Juggernaut and Sand at least have no resistance to Crush ... is Debian's Rob of Smiting cheating? 5% chance to destroy a golemn ... load up a few characters with it, and seems like a good chance of victory, no?
  • MapleMaple Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2014
    Shikao said:

@everybody, is golem attack magical?

I am a team of 6 : Dwarven Defender, F/C, F/C, F/T, Archer and Sorcerer.
    Archer won't help much here, other people will do fine.

All golem's fists are +4 enchanted level.
    lunar said:

Umm I just noticed adamantite golem has like 125 fire resistance, does this mean it will regenerate from the meteor's fire damage, in essence healing the 1 point of missile it does? Bummer.

No it won't. I just tested. It's a very effective way.
    Post edited by Maple on
    JuliusBorisov
  • MapleMaple Member Posts: 26
    edited November 2014
    I just make it! Here is a list of individual strategies worth noting. Welcome to make additions.

1. Stun Weapons:

Just like Celestial Fury, these are the ultimate main-hand weapons. In IWD:EE, most undeads are immune to stun, but golems and other creatures are not. You still need +3 weapon to stun Adamantite Golem. Here is the list:
    Hammer Flail +2 , Morning Star +2: Hammer, War Hammer of Sparks +2 , Charged Battle Axe +2 ,
    Bhaal's Fire +3 , Bastard Sword +3: Incinerator ,
    Shocking Flail +4 , Benorg's Truth +4 , Short Sword +4: Hammer

2. Potion of Absorbtion:

Wonderful! +10 bonus AC to crushing attack. Your warriors may reach -25 AC against crushing attacks.

3. Tanks:

Dwarven Defender, Fighter/Mage, etc. : At least -20 AC against crushing attacks is preferred. Low Saves vs. Death and Saves vs. Spell is a bonus.

4. Summons:

I strongly recommend Shadow Monsters/Demi-shadow Monsters/Shades, as sometimes they will summon trolls which are un-killable by golem's brute force. It will be a great distraction.

4. Buff:

Buff as usual. Constantly cast Defensive Harmony and the like to lower AC as no character can withstand more than 3 attacks.

5. Strategy:

Although the golems are deadly melee fighters invulnerable to magic, they are not brilliant creatures. I guess they will only attack the most close creature. So keep summoning stuff at their feet. As Juggernaut Golem and Sand Golem are easy to kill with blunt weapons, kill them first.

Footnote:

No golems have immunity from death, stun, feeblemind. So as usual 3* Lower Resistance + Great Malison +Feeblemind should work if the sorcerer level is high enough.

Post edited by Maple on
    ShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • billygreatbillygreat Member Posts: 66
    Nice Xp for this fight on HOF, 102.000 Xp for the adamantine golem, 66.000 xp for Juggernaut, tho I missed to notice the sand golem XP. I guess all net you over 200.000 XP.
    jackjackShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Azzara ah yes, a most cunning strategy
    elminsterjackjackCaptRory
  • AzzaraAzzara Member Posts: 184
    edited November 2014
    There are some weird choke points in Icewind Dale: EE. Yesterday I was playing the Gloomfrost and...

I discovered that the ice golems can follow you to the previous floor where Tiernon's forge is. I killed dozens of them with a fatigued cleric without any buffs left. It took a few hours though.

I believe the original design didn't allow golems to follow you back to the forge and the forge entrance was located at the very end of the level so you wouldn't use it against the ice worms either.

Standard in BG2, largely owing to the fact that the designers thought it a good idea to place every single huge frigging golem in the game next to a teeny-weeny door.

Yeah. They should've at least added a text script popping up the golems heads like :

"MAN UP! MAN UP! YOU~ TINY~ CHICKEN!!!"
    DreadKhan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

Standard in BG2, largely owing to the fact that the designers thought it a good idea to place every single huge frigging golem in the game next to a teeny-weeny door.

This vaguely reminds me of very irate armchair military strategists that complained that militants in Iraq and Afghanistan weren't 'honourably engaging' Western troops on terms obviously ridiculously favourable to Western Forces.

"Those cowardly terrorists are so cowardly they won't even engage our armoured divisions on an open field while armed with AK-47s!"

Is there an Ann Coultur Golem thats going to start complaining about our cowardly terrorist PCs craven craveninitious cowardice? Maybe a Talking Fox News Head Golem?
    old_jolly2
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Which begs the question. Were the golems assembled in the rooms? If so, were they planning on having to do drywall work after the golem burst through walls looking for any intruders? :)
    JuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    DreadKhan said:

"Those cowardly terrorists are so cowardly they won't even engage our armoured divisions on an open field while armed with AK-47s!"

Is there an Ann Coultur Golem thats going to start complaining about our cowardly terrorist PCs craven craveninitious cowardice? Maybe a Talking Fox News Head Golem?
    ShikaoDreadKhanJuliusBorisov
    elminster said:

Which begs the question. Were the golems assembled in the rooms? If so, were they planning on having to do drywall work after the golem burst through walls looking for any intruders? :)
    Meh. Simple. Their childhood ruined guarding that little junk treasure you're probably gonna sell to the next vendor you see , unless you are a flail-person. Which , you should have asked first non the less.
    edited November 2014
    Or...

They..

Can...

shapeshift.

but unless they shapeshift to a microbe-small , they don't shapeshift in combat , so they don't get to be chickens themselves...

elminster said:

Or...

They..

Can...

shapeshift.

but unless they shapeshift to a microbe-small , they don't shapeshift in combat , so they don't get to be chickens themselves...

Which begs the question. If a dragon has eaten you , will you shapeshift yourself to an instentinal microbe so you protect your valor by being useful still for the rest of your life ?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

When in doubt, a wizard did it.

Which in the case of golems may be even closer to the truth than usual.

Or maybe they come disassembled in a box that says "Gölem", together with a cryptic manual and an Allen key, and you'll have to figure out the rest. And then leave the box lying in the dungeon for like a week and really, you'll get to it tomorrow, and GEEZ can't you just enjoy your ale for one second without someone nagging about it!

Why is it they always are short exactly 3 randomly determined small but hard to replace pieces?! WHY!!
    CaptRory
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Or maybe they come disassembled in a box that says "Gölem", together with a cryptic manual and an Allen key, and you'll have to figure out the rest. And then leave the box lying in the dungeon for like a week and really, you'll get to it tomorrow, and GEEZ can't you just enjoy your ale for one second without someone nagging about it!

But then you've lost one of the key parts of the golem and it will never work

You forgot the part of your evil vizier , that will whisper into your ears after you pass out snoring in bed :
    "hehehe... sleeeep lightly tasssskmasterrr...!"

Sadly enough he is that technician that had no girlfriends ever. So , game over :) Heart of Fury does not alter only monster HD's you see...