Skip to content

Kivan: Question

Hey folks of the BG community! I have a question concerning the NPC, Kivan. (I play PC) -

I recruited him early in Chapter 1 - explored and plundered nearly all the southern areas of the Sword Coast, and finished up with Nashkel Mines. My problem is, Kivan is going to leave my party within 36-48 hours. (rested multiple times to figure out how much time was left; I wasn't even aware he had a timer until I stumbled upon a random thread.) My question is, is it possible to disband Kivan (pausing his timer), complete his quest, and recruit him once I've completed it, thus allowing him to remain in the party? I know I won't be able to finish the quest with him still in the party, no matter how swiftly I try to get there. If this isn't possible, is there a way I can edit baldur.ini to remove such parameters?

Thanks in advance,
- Secular

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    You can indeed remove Kivan from your party, kill the bandits, and pick him up again to prevent him from leaving. Once you reach chapter 4 he will not leave. If you have the console enabled then you can also prevent him from leaving by entering the following code into your console (case sensitive):
    C:SetGlobal("FindBandits","GLOBAL",2)
    Another option is to quickly kill the bandits and enter chapter 4. If this is not possible you will have to use one of the above methods.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Be warned though. The timer does not actually stop. If you pick him up again before triggering Chapter 4, he will leave almost immediately.

For what its worth, you could also get him killed, finish his quest in his honor with the other 5, trigger chapter 4, then resurrect him. DO NOT try getting him killed, then marching to the FAI, getting a resurrection, and dashing over to the bandit camp for a beat down. Recall that timer does not stop.

Depending on your party levels/spells/equip, even once you reach Bandit Camp, it can take as much as 36 game hours to clear the camp, much more if you lose some key players and have to pull back to FAI for resurrections before taking down the bosses.
  • SecularSecular Member Posts: 2
    Kudos Tresset and Dreamrider for your replies, very much appreciated! I can finally progress like I've been wanting to; I've been stuck with this issue for a few days now, many thanks.