Skip to content

I need some game suggestions

chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
edited November 2014 in Off-Topic
Hello all,

What I'm really looking for is a game where whatever class you choose (obviously looking for an RPG here), it MATTERS to the game world and its inhabitants. I really want my chosen PROFESSION to matter.

For example, if I pick a ranger-type class then I can track, survive in the wilderness, move faster in forests, etc.

If I pick a Druid, I can talk to bunnies, manipulate plants, flirt with trees, etc.

If I pick a Cleric, that I am ESPECIALLY good against anything unholy! You may suggest our dearest Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale at this one but the problem I have with BG/IWD clerics is that anything they can do to an enemy (even demons themselves) mages can do better. Turn Undead IS awesome though. I will give them that.

If I pick hunter/assassin/bounty hunter then I would love special abilities against specific foes. Rangers in DnD are a good example with favoured enemy, it just doesn't go far enough with it.

I think you get the idea. I've been a gamer for 30 years so I've played most of them. For example, Witcher 1 and 2 are AWESOME and a good example of my hunter point above. But that is, of course, all you CAN play. No other class options.

Anyway, any thoughts?

Comments

• old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    Well , the thing that comes to my mind games like The Lost Vikings 1&2 and Demon Stone , where you usually control a PC at a time which have different characteristics. Though not with the depth like flirting with trees (?) etc.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    NWN had some of that actually, but not to the extent that you are looking for I am sure...
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Skyrim?

You won't get many specific NPC reactions (besides that awful line about conjuring up a warm bed...), but if you develop archery or alchemy for example, you can go out hunting or foraging as suits your character.

Couple this with the survival mods where you have to sleep in a tent in the colder climates, hunt and make a fire, etc. and it can feel quite immersive for your build.

PS. Not aware of any games that let you flirt with trees. That's some serious underground shit.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Not exactly RPG, but with increasing RPG elements, Heroes of Might and Magic (5 and below). You have different classes and they are vastly better at their gimmick than others, including things ONLY they can do. It's definitely "only necromancers can recruit the fallen", "only dark elves can use elemental magic", "only elves have favored enemies", and these specials come with skills and masteries exclusive to that faction. HOMM5 has a nice story that takes through all factions and their special skills - 6 does what you dislike: "everyone can do everything".

However, in the end, it is still more a strategy game than a RPG. You play various characters and there is no option to create a custom hero.