Skip to content

[DUPE] - Shadow Dragon Scale Armor and Cespenar bug (TOB)

acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
edited December 2013 in Not An Issue
Hello all,

Just wanted to make it known that I do believe that the making the Shadow Dragon Scale armor (obtained from Rasaad's TOB quest) seems to bug out Cespenar. If you make this armor, Cespenar will not talk to you anymore, clicking on him will not bring up his usual list of dialogue involving a list of items that he can make for you. I had to reload to a previous save and ignore the option to make the armor, which isn't a big deal as I really don't have anyone in my party that can use it. However, this can be a pretty big deal for those who do use it. Just wanted to make it known, thanks!
Post edited by Troodon80 on

Comments

• acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    More on this topic, even having the shadow dragon scales in your inventory (not the armor, just the scales) causes Cespenar bugs in other ways, for example I also have the White dragon scales in my inventory (from watchers keep). Having them both in the inventory at the same time will not allow you to make the White Dragon Scale armor, Cespenar only recognizes the Shadow Dragon scales, and creating those causes him to bug out. I got around this simply by dropping the Shadow Dragon Scales, once you do that Cespenar recognizes the White scales.

I hate to have to be the one to say this because I really love this game and am happy for the new EE editions. But with that said, was this really tested? This is a pretty game breaking bug that prevents people from obtaining some of the best items in the game without using a cheating program. From reading around, it seems like this is a bug that always crops up as long as you have the shadow dragon scales, it doesn't seem like a random occurrence. I have to say, I am a little disappointed in this.
  • SmilgeSmilge Member Posts: 104
    Part of the problem with open RPGs is that it would take an unreasonable amount of playtesting to do every thing in every order to be sure that there is no combination in which a bug comes up. The best a tester can do is play through a few times and report bugs as they come up. It is unfortunate that this bug was not noticed, but as long as it is patched in a timely manner I don't think there's really much to be upset over.
  • acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2013
    Smilge said:

Part of the problem with open RPGs is that it would take an unreasonable amount of playtesting to do every thing in every order to be sure that there is no combination in which a bug comes up. The best a tester can do is play through a few times and report bugs as they come up. It is unfortunate that this bug was not noticed, but as long as it is patched in a timely manner I don't think there's really much to be upset over.

Gate70 said:

All imo
    SoA & ToB was already a massive series of quests that can be played in a very flexible order which must make for a gazillion testing permutations. Integrating new content and proving it might be a challenge then.

Decisions will have been made based on early assumptions. Some sort of legal tussle mid-delivery would be undesirable, good job that... didn't... happen... oh hang on.

decisions decisions
    - Polish what was already there. If it ain't broke.
    - Add a few little bits and spend 80-90% of the budget on testing.
    - Go for more content and take a risk-based testing approach.
    - More $ for a bigger team. Have we got a 12yr old game for you backers, 1 at a time please.
    - Launch in 2015. Sorry 2016. Coming soon.

Have a look at the consolidated reported issues. The first patch contents. You're in ToB, you got there somehow (well I guess you could have started there). The workaround for your issue has been around for 2 weeks or so. If you get another issue the community or the devs will try and smooth it out.

Believe me, I understand this. I understand that a great deal of testing goes into this, however what I am stating is that this bug in particular seems to happen no matter what if you try to make this armor. It's not some great series of events that can't be tested due to it being so unique compared to everyone else, it's simply this:

Is Rasaad in your party?
    Did you do his SoA quests?
    Did you do his TOB quest?
    Did you get the dragon scales?

Bam.

That simple. It's basically in a nutshell what will happen to anyone who plays through this game with Rasaad in the party, and as such it makes me think that it wasn't a lack of enough testing but rather a lack of testing at all on this particular set of events. Heck all the devs would have had to do was play a party with all of the new party members in it and they would have ran into this bug, in one play through.

I want to make it known that I am not just being a whiny child here, I am really enjoying BG2EE, but that doesn't mean I should just accept all errors and bugs as okay due to the nonlinear nature of the game.That is why I said I was disappointed and didn't delve into a whiny entitlement tirade about how the devs owe me such and such. I don't believe that, but I can certainly be disappointed in something like this.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Ive been struken by the bug and dont have a save before it occured... this has really ruined my game/day and i have no clue how to edit the save to make stuff work im computer illiterate, i guess i had faith i wouldnt run into a game shattering bug so easily and have no way to fix it without a patch in sight.
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    I just ran into this bug myself. Almost an entire year and no one has responded to this nor fixed it.