Skip to content

I wanna buy this, but..

My favourite game of all time, but nothing new? No new areas?
How much does the cut quest content add to the game?

D.

Comments

• RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    If you only want cut content, you should get Unfinished Business mod for vanilla IWD. EE does have it though.
    There are some minor quest additions to EE (nothing fancy), no new areas, some BG2 kits (which are mostly unnecessary) and baldurized concepts like dual-wielding and wizard familiars, BG2 spells.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    They didn't add much in the way of areas(if my at all,I didn't play the original) and nothing in the way of joinable NPCs. They just updated a great game. The consensus(as far as I know) was that IWD is more combat and campaign driven than story and side quest driven, and so they just added kits, implemented the bg:ee engine and rebalanced it for the new kits and difficulty setting.
    This also avoids the... Controversy of new content.
    atcDavesmeagolheart
    Joinable NPCs...
    IWD 1&2 have no NPCs to join (unless you take Kulyok's mods into account). The whole concept of these games is around people building their own parties. The OP said he's fan of the original game, which probably means he's asking if the EE is and improvement of the vanilla IWD or just the same game with some polished graphics and kits. Which it pretty much is.
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    edited November 2014
    Here is post by @bengoshi‌ listing all restored and new content (I really should bookmark that one comment...)

And there is also IWD Evaluation poll in which people give their opinion about EE.
    JuliusBorisovsmeagolheart
    elminster said:

EE is the way to go if you are looking for mods. In the last 3 weeks there have been more mods released for IWD than there were in 10+ years for the original.

Quality over quantity. There were hundreds of mods released for BG2 since its inception, but not all of them are worthy of being remembered.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    That's the beauty of the Enhanced Editions, really. For all the cool stuff Overhaul added explicitly, it's the under-the-hood work that really stands out. All the modding types seem to find them much easier to work with, and they make such cool things for the rest of us (thank you modding types!).
    elminsterjackjackJuliusBorisov
    MrGoodkat said:

Especially if you have only limited time to play this is a huge factor. When I'm playing BG or IWD I want to spend my time actually *playing* the game and not managing my inventory because I don't have a fucking Bag of Holding yet...

Or installing 20 different mods in order to get the same experience, with questionable quality and reliability?
    CaptRoryMrGoodkatBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2014
    Redrake said:

BG2 kits (which are mostly unnecessary)

O_o
    jackjackArdul
  • DLiteDLite Member Posts: 53
    Sounds tempting. I suppose I'll get it.

They're working pretty fast. Maybe we'll see a BG3 or IWD3 before this enhanced adventure is over. :)

ShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • jimmysdabestcopjimmysdabestcop Member Posts: 74
    DLite said:

Sounds tempting. I suppose I'll get it.

They're working pretty fast. Maybe we'll see a BG3 or IWD3 before this enhanced adventure is over. :)

I would like a sequel that revisits the actual city of Baldur's Gate but has nothing actually do with the Bhaal Spawn legacy. I think the Bhaal thing was pretty much finished with. Perhaps stay along the coast and end up in NeverWinter.

The location is the actual sequel. I think that would be pretty neat.
    jackjackatcDave
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Beamdog seems to be of a similar opinion regarding the Bhaalspawn, or at least charname specifically. I mean, one of my characters *died* in Rasaad's epilogue. Hard to do a direct sequel from there. But personally, I think it could be interesting to do something focused on the aftermath of the Bhaalspawn stuff.