Skip to content

[SPOILERS] Nym

MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
So.... Nym is basically responsible for the whole war between orcs, elves and dwarves.

I mean... this is a *huge* thing in the story and you just nonchalantly come across the guy who caused the whole mess.

Ok you can kill him for it, but it still feels extremely unsatisfying. Shouldn't there be more to hit? Or is it just me?

I was expecting that you eventually find out who betrayed the dwarves and the elves and it's wrapped up in a nice side quest or something.

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    It is actually relevant to one sidequest.

Freeing the Voice guy in Lower Dorn's.

Still, it's not much. Honestly, it reflects Nym himself. He casually doomed two cities to make a quick buck. Wasn't a big deal, he just does stuff like that. And for better or for worse, that's how the game treats it.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    @Jarrakul: Hmm... I think freeing the Voice was bugged for me or something. Or maybe I just don't know what you mean. Anyway, the way it went down was that I talked to the Priest who was controlling the Voice, he threatened me, teleported the Voice in but he immediately died. That's the last I ever saw of him.
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    MrGoodkat said:

So.... Nym is basically responsible for the whole war between orcs, elves and dwarves.

I mean... this is a *huge* thing in the story and you just nonchalantly come across the guy who caused the whole mess.

Ok you can kill him for it, but it still feels extremely unsatisfying. Shouldn't there be more to hit? Or is it just me?

I was expecting that you eventually find out who betrayed the dwarves and the elves and it's wrapped up in a nice side quest or something.

I like it this way. This is really the difference between Bioware and Black Isle. Black Isle is more true to like in that life's greatest mysteries sometimes stay mysteries... or you accidentally stumble across the answer to them. Bioware would need to announce Nym's revelation with fanfare and cutscenes and dramatic monologues. Black Isle hides in optional dialogue. That's a part of what makes these games so immersive.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    @Grimo88: Well, in that sense I kinda liked it too but you should be able to do something with the knowledge you obtained. For instance telling the ghost of Larrel who was actually responsible for everything.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    The Nym plot shows that great things happen in the world that can't be solved by the heroes. Their job is to save the living people of Tentowns and the mountains, not to hunt down that criminal drow. It's a nice twist to leave an area that can't be 100% cleared.