Skip to content

BGEE\BG2EE\IWDEE on iOS crashes with .Wav files at other than 352kbps bit rate?

I've been using custom sound sets with BGEE and BG2EE on the PC for awhile now with no problem. However, when I transferred these .Wav files to the iPad or iPhone, BGEE/BG2EE would crash when I tried to play most of the .wav files. At first I was completely lost. These files all played fine on the PC. Even stranger, some worked fine on iOS...what was the difference? Smaller ones would crash the system as much as larger ones, so size didn't appear to be the culprit.

It's the bit rate of the file. Not all .wav files are created equally, it appears. Left click on a .wav file in Windows 7 Explorer, and the file details will tell you the bit rate. All the files that worked ok had bit rate equal to or greater than 352 kbps, all the files causing the crashes had bit rates less than 352kpbs (176 kpbs was the most common offender among my custom sound sets).

The weird part? BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE on Windows couldn't care less about the bit rate, it handles them all like a champ and plays them all clear as a bell. But BGEE/BG2EE/IWDEE on iOS chokes and dies on the spot, dropping you back out of game to the 'desktop'.

So, my question is: is there anyway to set the EE engine games on iOS to be a little more flexible with the .wav files, a la Windows? Many of my custom sound sets (pulled from movies in most cases) end up with a variety of bit rates (88kbps, 176kbps, 352kbps, 1141kbps, etc). Its extremely frustrating to get used to a sound set on Windows only to have switch to a completely different one (usually a bland stock sound set) to keep the game from crashing on iOS (which I use quite a bit, both iPad and iPhone).

Thanks!

Comments

• DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    I've been having this problem too but I have several files with bitrates equal to 352kbps, which cause the crash every time.

The sound sets I'm using are the Icewind Dale ones copied from the EE. I've substituted a few of the files with others from a collection of the sound sets I downloaded that are playable in windows media player - its these files that cause the crashes.

Does someone, more knowledgeable than I, know if whatever was done to the files to make them playable could be the cause? They work just fine in game on the PC.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Could one of zip & attach a sample sound set with this issue please.
    Thanks