Skip to content

druid weapons restrictions for ranger kit?

marcosmarcos Member Posts: 70
Like the title says, I'm trying to put together a kit where the ranger can only use weapons open to druids. I can't get it to work. Giving the kit a druid's unusability code has no effect; I can't seem to combine druid and ranger restrictions successfully either. I can only give my kit the restrictions of ranger classes. What should I do?
Blackraven

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I haven't had much luck with it either. Maybe @CrevsDaak knows?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,428
    If your kit is based on the ranger class, then only ranger usability flags will affect it. I don't think it's possible to make items unusable exclusively for a custom kit. You can limit all rangers and their associated kits to druid weapons however, by mirroring the druid's usability flag to the ranger's usability flag (and optionally all of its multiclass combinations) in all relevant item resources of the game.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • marcosmarcos Member Posts: 70
    Okay, I have a work-around. Edit the CLAB file and add a passive ability with opcode 181: Disallow Item Type. The disallowed item even has the nice red overlay.

Downside: No message that you cannot use the item when you try to equip the item, and no little buzzing sound either. Anyone know how to add these?

Anyway, it looks like I can add the restrictions to my kit...weapon by weapon.
    elminster
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Edit the .spl's effect header with that opcode and hange whatever the parameter1 is to the string you want. The file item_use.2da has the value in it (check the 3rd column), which I don't recall right now. It has the sound attached to th string.
    marcoselminster
    edited November 2014
    Found it: String 9382. Thanks. Even gives me the little buzzing sound.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
    edited November 2014
    Damn: Bastard swords, longswords, short swords, katanas, scimitars, and two-handed swords are all longswords (20). I'll have to take all of them out individually, except the scimitars.

And opcode 180 will let me exclude them, but they don't have the correct red overlay, letting me know that they're unusable.
    Post edited by marcos on
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    You could add opcode 319, Restrict Item, to every Druid-restricted item, targeting your specific kit.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    marcos said:

Like the title says, I'm trying to put together a kit where the ranger can only use weapons open to druids. I can't get it to work. Giving the kit a druid's unusability code has no effect; I can't seem to combine druid and ranger restrictions successfully either. I can only give my kit the restrictions of ranger classes. What should I do?

There are some tricks to be used here, but custom usabilities for kits are not for the faint of heart and involve a crapton of hacks. You're never going to get precisely what you want, I'm afraid. My best advice would be to drop it or, slightly better, simply adopt a usability scheme from an existing kit. You could easily make the kit be limited to druid items by adding the totemic druid unusability flag, but that's not the weapon-only solution you're looking for.

180 or 319 abuse is an option, but can't affect players who add mods after yours, and also has functional differences (e.g. the red overlay). 181 is overly broad. The only way to really do precisely what you want is to hijack another kit's flag (none of the cleric kits do anything special with their flags). Even then, this is a very bad thing compatibility-wise, and still won't affect mods after yours.

elminster
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,428
    edited November 2014

I thought you could give a kit a usability code from another class and it would have all of the restrictions of both.

You are mostly correct. You can assign any kit usability of any class to your own kit, but it will only add restrictions defined for this specific kit (which is usually only the difference between the kit's parent class and the kit itself). In the case of the OP you still have to add the basic restrictions of the druid class manually, e.g. by mapping the druid usability flag to the ranger flag or by using techniques suggested by CamDawg.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    argent77 said:

I thought you could give a kit a usability code from another class and it would have all of the restrictions of both.

You are mostly correct. You can assign any kit usability of any class to your own kit, but it will only add restrictions defined for this specific kit (which is usually only the difference between the kit's parent class and the kit itself).
    Yeah, for the most part kit flags generally aren't set since they're redundant--e.g. an item marked unusable by a druid generally won't have the totemic druid flag since the item is already disallowed by the class. So if you use the totemic druid flag on a non-druid kit, you'll need a regexp copy to add all of these redundant flags to items as there's no way to directly assign a class usability flag. This is not without a downside--dual-classes out of the kit flag you select may have additional restrictions that they should not have.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367

- Now, (this is the question part) the game sees you not as a [ranger class + stalker kit + cleric class], but as a [cleric/ranger class + stalker kit]...? And if the cleric/ranger usabilities differ from the ranger usabilities + cleric usabilities (possible since there is a dedicated flag for cleric/rangers) then something will be amiss...?

It's while your first class is inactive that the problem exists. Kit unusabilities apply regardless of your current or active class. This issue already exists for your specific example: a stalker dual-classed to cleric will not be able to wear chain mail or heavier armor while their ranger class is inactive, which is not how it should be.
    Similar thing happens to a Kensai, they are unable to wear any armor or bracers while their fighter class is inactive.
    elminster
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CamDawg said:

There are some tricks to be used here, but custom usabilities for kits are not for the faint of heart and involve a crapton of hacks. You're never going to get precisely what you want, I'm afraid. My best advice would be to drop it or, slightly better, simply adopt a usability scheme from an existing kit. You could easily make the kit be limited to druid items by adding the totemic druid unusability flag, but that's not the weapon-only solution you're looking for.

180 or 319 abuse is an option, but can't affect players who add mods after yours, and also has functional differences (e.g. the red overlay). 181 is overly broad. The only way to really do precisely what you want is to hijack another kit's flag (none of the cleric kits do anything special with their flags). Even then, this is a very bad thing compatibility-wise, and still won't affect mods after yours.

Okay, I'm new at all of this--how do I "hijack another kit's flag"? Why and how is it bad for compatibility--the dual class issue people have been talking about above, or something else?

Thanks for your patience with me--I'm learning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on