Skip to content

Will BG:EE and BG2:EE ever be on GOG?

ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
edited May 2014 in New Members Welcome Area
The games have been available on Steam for a long time, but not on GOG. Will they ever be available on GOG?

I'm hoping someone from Beamdog could answer my question: are you guys even considering or working with GOG on putting your games on their websites? Or is it not even an consideration because you guys just do not have the same policies? (e.g., GOG has strict No-DRM policies and your games has DRM, and you guys are not about to bend over for GOG; but Ubisoft was known for their DRM, and strangely enough their games end up on GOG without DRM.)

Thanks.
Post edited by ktchong on

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello, @ktchong‌

First of all, I'd like to mention that there's absolutely no DRM with BG:EE and BG2:EE.

When you buy these games you are able to choose to download the standalone version or the BeamDog version.

You'll need to log into your Beamdog account when you install the game, as well as any time you wish to apply an update when there's a patch.

You can back up and restore (and play) that authenticated installation without logging into your account. You don't need DRM to play BG:EE and BG2:EE. You're also allowed to install these games on every PC in your possession.

I'm 99% sure the enhanced editions will not be available on GOG because of contactual obligations of BeamDog.
    FinaLfrontDemonoid_Limewireelminsterlolien
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    If those games had been on GOG, i would have bought them already. Now, i am simply waiting for one more discount sales, to go get them, from Beamdog, most probably... But why not GoG? Many people love it, use it, prefer it, hone it...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I don't know much about GoG, but I do I know it stands for "good old games." bg2ee is what, 6 months old? It it's good though...
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    GoG has games that have recently come out, they don't ONLY sell older games
    TJ_HookerDemonoid_Limewireelminsterkaguana
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Prior to BG:EE release GoG has released information how to improve Baldur's Gate experience (aka, informed about and made tutorial regarding TuTu/BGT mods), just for the single sake of people to buy GoG version over Enhanced Edition. So, that's another factor why BG:EE on GoG is rather not possible. Aside form BeamDog's contract, we have GoG policy.
    JuliusBorisovDemonoid_LimewireCrevsDaak
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Xavioria The only game I can think of that is recent is the Witcher series and that's because GoG.com is made and owned by CD Projekt.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    meagloth said:

I don't know much about GoG, but I do I know it stands for "good old games." bg2ee is what, 6 months old? It it's good though...

GOG used to stand for "Good Old Games" but at some point they made the decision to start offering more recent games and somewhat rebranded themselves, and I think now GOG doesn't (officially) stand for anything.
    Archaos said:

@Xavioria The only game I can think of that is recent is the Witcher series and that's because GoG.com is made and owned by CD Projekt.

There's plenty of games on GOG that have only been released recently (including games from the last year or 2).
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @TJ_Hooker Definitely was not aware of that. But anyway, it's better that way. Having a variety of both old and new games.
    TJ_Hooker
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Archaos said:

Another one is shadow warrior, it was released there day 1. Outlast, another one that is horror, and 10-20 more games, in the last 2 years, had been released there too, day 1.

Over the last very few years, they get contracts to sell new games. They almost sacrificed their DRM-Free and fair price central dogmas, in order to achieve that (because distributors blackmailed them towards those ends, and since they ultimately sacrificed none of their respectable policies, now most distributors sell game rights to steam, instead; even forcing gog to delete from its catalogue some titles, shameful, really...).
    JuliusBorisovTJ_Hooker
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2014
    bengoshi said:

I'm 99% sure the enhanced editions will not be available on GOG because of contactual obligations of BeamDog.

What contractual obligations? I have both Steam and GOG accounts, but I really prefer to have my games on GOG over Steam. I can get them on Steam, but just want to be sure that the games will not show up on GOG after I buy them on Steam, or I'll be pissed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @ktchong‌

According to Trent Oster, Beamdog developed the Beamdog Store with the goal of selling their games directly to their users - no middlemen, no confusion on support, just a developer and a customer.

(http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/190432/postmortem_overhaul_games_.php?print=1)

Later, working with their partners at Atari, after many requests, they've managed to bring BG:EEs to Steam. Atari did the integration for BG:EEs on Steam, Overhaul were not involved.

(http://www.pcgamesn.com/we-were-told-baldur-s-gate-enhanced-edition-wouldn-t-be-coming-steam-so-why-did-it-launch-there-yesterday)

GOG is completely independent from these BG rightholders you see at the bottom of this screen. So, BG:EEs will be available both through the Beamdog Store and Steam.
    edited May 2014
    I am very reluctant to buy downloadable games directly from anyone other than Steam or GOG. What will happen to my games if the company goes out of business? Then I will lose my games as well. We know Steam will not go out of business anytime soon. If CD Projekt Red (that makes the Witcher series and owns GOG) goes out of business, they will most likely sell off or split up with GOG -- GOG has become a very profitable venture on its own; (or I can just download my entire game library from GOG.) Steam has already outlived many younger developers whose games are still available on Steam.

We do not know much about Beamdog/Overhaul other than they have remade couples of classic games. We do not know if they will make any more games. We do not know that if they will ever produce any successful hits of their own. Most importantly, we do not know how much they will stick around. Game developers come and go. What I know is that if I buy the games on Steam or GOG, and if Beamdog/Overhaul goes out of business, I will still have the game on Steam or GOG.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited May 2014
    Well, if you keep a backup, then nothing will happen if Beamdog goes under. If by some stroke of terrible luck, both Beamdog and your backup fails, then you may have to spend about $10 at some point in the future (likely years from now) to buy the game again from Steam or whatever. Not exactly the end of the world. And really, you could ask the same question of "what happens if GOG closes shop?" and the answer wouldn't be any different.
    elminsterCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    edited May 2014
    I'd get it on Steam in the upcoming Summer sales.

I registered an account with Beamdog. I've tried using the website.. and hate the website. It was poorly-designed and a hassle to use. My biggest problem with Beamdog: it would not even allow me to change my email address/login ID. Changing email address is supposed to be a very basic, standard feature of any web shop. Users have to send an email to Beamdog and request to change email/login ID, which I have repeatedly done to no avail. It also does not seem to have even the most basic security features to protect user accounts.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Well, if you keep a backup, then nothing will happen if Beamdog goes under. If by some stroke of terrible luck, both Beamdog and your backup fails, then you may have to spend about $10 at some point in the future (likely years from now) to buy the game again from Steam or whatever. Not exactly the end of the world. And really, you could ask the same question of "what happens if GOG closes shop?" and the answer wouldn't be any different.

It is all about what the likelihood of a web shop shutting down for good. What is the possibility of Amazon, eBay or Steam closing its door for good? What is the possibility of GOG closing for good? What is the possibility of Beamdog closing for good? You really cannot compare the possibility of Amazon, eBay, Steam or GOG closing to Beamdog closing.

Atop of that, I've registered with and tried to use Beamdog. It lacks so many basic functions and is just not a good website. There is no way I would buy anything from there.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335

But why not GoG?

Ask Atari. I think they don't want to get rid of any "DRM"...
    (BG(2):EE is semi-protected: Only at downloading and patching. You can evade the launcher, but I better don't tell publicly how)
    Anyway, just an update: I grabbed both Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 Enhanced Edition during the Steam Summer Sales.
    JuliusBorisovelminster
    edited August 2014
    Don't bother with GOG. That place sucks now. GOG has been losing publishers and titles, and unable to sign up any new ones. The place has been going downhill. The place is being run by anti-DRM and "fair" pricing fanatics, who are holding the place hostage to spread their ideological purity.
    JuliusBorisov
  • RafaelLVXRafaelLVX Member Posts: 17
    ktchong said:

The place is being run by anti-DRM and "fair" pricing fanatics, who are holding the place hostage to spread their ideological purity.

Which is great.
    JuliusBorisovSaint_ScylladunbarCrevsDaak
  • JalisterJalister Member Posts: 146
    edited October 2014
    BG:EE and BG2:EE were released on GOG today.

It appears the old 29 page DRM thread has been locked. I was going to comment there also.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2254/drm/p1
    AstroBryGuyJuliusBorisov
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited October 2014
    Jalister said:

BG:EE [...] on GOG today.

But there are not all languages available. Why? Copyright issues?

Post edited by rede9 on
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    rede9 said:

Jalister said:

BG:EE [...] on GOG today.

But there are not all languages available. Why? Copyright issues?

It is likely they will be made available later on, as was the case with many other titles at GOG.
    rede9
    I already bought the games from Steam awhile ago. Oh well.
  • DaverianDaverian Member Posts: 12
    Jalister said:

BG:EE and BG2:EE were released on GOG today.

It appears the old 29 page DRM thread has been locked. I was going to comment there also.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/2254/drm/p1

Jalister - I visit GOG almost daily, and I just noticed the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions were on sale there. I started that 29 page DRM discussion awhile ago, and have just returned for the first time since then to say I finally purchased the Enhanced Editions. These purchases were made from GOG since they are truly DRM free.

Thank you Beamdog for making this possible. I hope the Icewind Dale Enhanced Editions are released on GOG a little faster. Do that, and you will have my $$.
    JuliusBorisov
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    Which would be more of a temptation for them if you were buying the game via Beamdog. ;-)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    ktchong said:

I am very reluctant to buy downloadable games directly from anyone other than Steam or GOG. What will happen to my games if the company goes out of business? Then I will lose my games as well. We know Steam will not go out of business anytime soon. If CD Projekt Red (that makes the Witcher series and owns GOG) goes out of business, they will most likely sell off or split up with GOG -- GOG has become a very profitable venture on its own; (or I can just download my entire game library from GOG.) Steam has already outlived many younger developers whose games are still available on Steam.

We do not know much about Beamdog/Overhaul other than they have remade couples of classic games. We do not know if they will make any more games. We do not know that if they will ever produce any successful hits of their own. Most importantly, we do not know how much they will stick around. Game developers come and go. What I know is that if I buy the games on Steam or GOG, and if Beamdog/Overhaul goes out of business, I will still have the game on Steam or GOG.

You can always write the games on a CD and never download them again?
    CrevsDaakmlnevesedreamriderlolien