Skip to content

What about an Infinity Toolset?

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
This is something that i have Always dreamed of . An aurora-like scenario editor that would allow you to create stories using the Infinity (BG-IWD-Torment) Engine.

How hard can it be?
Cluas

Comments

• old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    edited November 2014
    DJKajuru said:

This is something that i have Always dreamed of . An aurora-like scenario editor that would allow you to create stories using the Infinity (BG-IWD-Torment) Engine.

How hard can it be?

Been there done that. I called it Infinity Maker VX Ace , I created a topic for it , said I'm not interested in enchantments , so when you have the engine at your hands , do this.

But except @lolien lovin' it , well , just nobody g.a.f.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/24432/infinity-maker-vx-ace#latest

//edit : Also it is only thread I have bookmarked for a very very long time.
    DJKajurulolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think it's pretty easy to mod the Infinity Engine. I think that with this tutorial, IETME and NearInfinity you can easily create new areas/creatures/spells whatever, then just make a global copy script with WeiDU and you have a mod ;)
    jackjackJuliusBorisovGodKaiserHell
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    CrevsDaak said:

I think it's pretty easy to mod the Infinity Engine. I think that with this tutorial, IETME and NearInfinity you can easily create new areas/creatures/spells whatever, then just make a global copy script with WeiDU and you have a mod ;)

That may be so, but WeiDu mods modify the game itself, while modules would be separate games .
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I'm afraid you're over 15 years too late for this concept. Pretty much all available mods are using WeiDU nowadays. Furthermore, the Infinity Engine itself isn't really designed to be moddable (much less so for modularized expansions). I'd guess that even the override folder feature was initially planned to make it easier for Bioware (and licensees) to install game updates.
    CrevsDaaksmeagolheart
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Not possible because the Aurora toolset is tile-based. And so are the RPG Maker games.

And it's not possible specifically because the backgrounds are pre-rendered, they are not 3D models or tiles.
    They are either painted by professionals or made from 3D models first and then turned into images.
    If you change the angle of the backgrounds they are flat.

What you can do, is either import the backgrounds from other Infinity Engine games (but you have to limit where you could walk or else you would be able to "walk" on walls and buildings) or you create the areas yourself with some other tool and put them inside.

What @CrevsDaak‌ wrote is this concept of importing areas. But you cannot make areas like the Aurora toolset.

This is what I mean pre-rendered.
    edited December 2014
    @Archaos‌ you can create new areas with Photoshop/Gimp by re-using existing parts from different areas, changing colors, etc. (this requires both lot of time and patience).
    DJKajuru said:

CrevsDaak said:

That may be so, but WeiDu mods modify the game itself, while modules would be separate games .
    Well, you *can* add new campaigns with WeiDU (by removing existing ones).
    elminster
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @CrevsDaak‌
    Like I said, you can create the areas yourself and import them but then you need to configure them so not everything is walkable.

But something like the Aurora toolset is not going to happen.
    Because the areas are neither tiles, nor 3D so shapeable like the NwN2 toolset (Electron engine).
    They are just images.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yep, not practically possible. You're not the first to ask.
    edited December 2014
    @Archaos‌ you can easily set that with IETME, besides it's completely doable (again, if you have the time and patience...) to do by hand just with NearInfinity (or DLTCEP, but there you might need to re-open the game a few times to check the [x.y] coordenates.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Yep, not practically possible. You're not the first to ask.

Archaos said:

@CrevsDaak‌
    Like I said, you can create the areas yourself and import them but then you need to configure them so not everything is walkable.

But something like the Aurora toolset is not going to happen.
    Because the areas are neither tiles, nor 3D so shapeable like the NwN2 toolset (Electron engine).
    They are just images.

What a shame, I thought that isometric games were easier to convert !
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    Well , it is actually doable. But only depends on the "want".

Because if there are codes that GPU can read and put out on the screen , it can be harvested by back-engineering. The same goes for till deep down the Assembly.

But the work is thus loadsome and tiresome probably. The staff here that has developers in it , probably thought it won't be that rewarding , because of the same issues you posted here. There is already some NearInfinity , etc. tools that people can use , there are already some people creating content.

I actually think it could have been a good seller , to have people put their stories in IE , so we have so much to play , going with the environment we're used to. The developers disagree with it , so far. I don't have the motivation to do it either.
    DJKajuru