Skip to content

What RPG do you recommend to play on iPad?

SnowstoneSnowstone Member Posts: 18
I have played Knights of the Old Republic, just started Shadowrun Returns. I wanted to start Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, but after reading how ruthless the game is I'm afraid to start it and then get frustrated by always dying. After reading Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition had a Story Mode difficulty setting (and the great reviews the game appears to have on iPad) I was tending to get it next. However I keep reading and being told, that aside from combat/dungeon crawling, IWDEE has nothing else to offer, that the story is non existent.

So now I'm not sure what I should pick next. What are your suggestions?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Well, after you pick up BG:EE and BGII:EE, I've heard some really good things about Framed. It's more of an interactive story than an RPG, but it does some really interesting things with storytelling.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited November 2014
    Not as good as BG and probably doesn't run in iPad but it's a pretty fun cRPG for iOS: The Quest, I recommend the Gold version, which has many of it's different campaigns (I think it has all of them but I'm not sure). It's a good cRPG but the story is pretty meh, quests are hard to accomplish (too little information is given) and fights are sometimes impossible (on the first campaign, which is the only one I have played so far) or very difficult (the game only has damage and armor when it comes to combat (ok, it also has spells, mana and buffs and debuffing spells, but those aren't used too much and are sometimes sucky)--pretty basic but not bad). What is pretty good for people who prefer playing a cRPG on a phone casually is that you can save even during combats, so you can easily save and done, besides that it's turn-based so you don't have to worry about pausing nor anything like that at all.

You also have NetHack, if you know what that is and don't mind that it's an iPhone version of the game you might consider it (otherwise skip it--too complicated and even more frustration than Baldur's Gate).

Galaxy on Fire 2 (also 1, which is not so good but still it's not bad) could be considered a cRPG is you take in mind some stuff… but it's like a racing game… in space... and with blasters a la Star Wars... and it's story is like IwD's (but now it's free! and with DLCs).

Has anyone played some of these games?
    The Bard's Tale

Haven't played that one but I've heard it's pretty good.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Baldur's gate isn't ruthless. You should give it a go and not be afraid to learn as you go. Quick save is your friend. I would say BG1,2, IWD, will give you the best bang for your buck.

Other honorable mentions are already mentioned above: Final Fantasy 4, Shadowrun Returns, Bards Tale.
    CrevsDaakjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I just got Agarest War which seems like a decent turn based strategy RPG.
    CrevsDaak
  • LazarusNineLazarusNine Member Posts: 44
    edited November 2014
    First, I find IWD:EE's story and I environments to be extremely enjoyable. I never played the original game, so I'm not as fixated on comparisons to Baldur's Gate. I'm probably also in the monority here who doesn't feel that BG:EE's story is so amazing that it eclipses IWD. When it boils down to it, BG is ultimately a good guy-bad guy plot like every other RPG out there.

Second, I would also recommend Avernum: Escape from the Pit. The graphics and gameplay are different to BG and IWD, but there's something so approachable about that game. I'm not very far in it, but so far, I'm finding it to be a lot of fun. I even decided to get the collection on GOG for my PC/Mac. I've not played Shadowrun yet, but that's no doubt going to happen soon. Oh yes, and get BG:EE and BG2:EE if time/money allow. They're great.
    JuliusBorisovCoryNewbjackjack
    Also as far as the IWD story goes, I can't agree with the tales you have been told. There is a rich storytelling experience, but it is different from other RPGs. It isn't all about you or your character, and the frigid world is gorgeous.
    jackjack
  • SnowstoneSnowstone Member Posts: 18
    I currently am playing Shadowrun Returns. Unfortunately, Shadowrun Dragonfall is not available for iPad.
    Final Fantasy VI I have it on my Android, but have yet to touch it. I wanted to finish Final Fantasy X and VIII before I got into any other Final Fantasy game.

Knights of the Old Republic on the iPad plays great. For those who maybe in doubt, I played it first on my PC (before it died) and then got it for the iPad, and the transition to touchscreen is done beautifully.

About Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition, I have to agree about the looks, every time I see screenshots of the game, I find them much more attractive than screenshots of other infinity engine games. Maybe it's because of the icy blues.

So what do you think it's better to learn my away around infinity engine games? Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate?
    You can't go wrong either way. I would probably do Baldur's Gate 1 first, but choosing between BG and IWD is a luxury of riches in my opinion. Both are wonderful choices.
    Which one do you think is closer to Knights of the Old Republic and Shadowrun Returns?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaak
    That's true. But IWD helps you learn about the classes and stuff and you dont have to go out looking for your party without prior knowledge of who or what your party might need
    Ahhh, to be a BG virign again ;)
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakjackjack
    Not sure if you're helping, or making me more confuse :p
    CrevsDaakjackjack[Deleted User]
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    Snowstone said:

However I keep reading and being told, that aside from combat/dungeon crawling, IWDEE has nothing else to offer, that the story is non existent.

Don't believe everything you're told. IWD most definitely has a story to tell. And a good one too.

jackjackCrevsDaak
    Belanos said:

Snowstone said:

However I keep reading and being told, that aside from combat/dungeon crawling, IWDEE has nothing else to offer, that the story is non existent.

Don't believe everything you're told. IWD most definitely has a story to tell. And a good one too.

Would you say IWD is a better introduction to DnD/infinity engine games, than BG?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    No. It's much complicated, fights are harder in low levels if you don't know the rules and stuff, but then BG is also a bit complicated... I recommend starting with BG:EE's tutorial, reading the manual a bit and then give BG:EE a go.
    jackjack[Deleted User]
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited November 2014
    Snowstone said:

Would you say IWD is a better introduction to DnD/infinity engine games, than BG?

As someone pointed out, in the BG games you only need to worry about creating a single character. It can be quite daunting having to come up with a whole party like in IWD if you aren't familiar with how to come up with good, balanced party. Playing BG gives you the chance to try out different classes and races with the various characters you come across, with the opportunity of dropping ones you don't like and trying someone new. With IWD, once you have a party, you're stuck with them. So if you make one that doesn't quite cut it for you, your only option is to start over again.

Also, IWD can be rather challenging compared to the BG games. There's less good gear, and some of the battles early on tend to be tougher as well. In BG1, you're up against fairly low level creatures at first so it might be easier to get a handle on the game. It at least gives you the time to get a grasp of things, IWD sometimes throws you into some fairly epic battles when your characters are still kind of weak.

jackjack[Deleted User]CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
    They really have to update BGEE to the same engine version of IWDEE :P
    Feature wise the site appears to say you have more in IWD than BGEE.

I was hoping there would be a sale this weekend on BG/BG2/IWD for iPad, but wasn't so lucky.

Anyone recommends other RPG's? So far it appears the best/most popular recommendations are KOTOR, Shadowrun, and BGEE,BG2EE and IWDEE.

Non-RPG games I'm looking forward to are Tales from the Borderlands, Game of Thrones - A Telltale Game Series, Sorcery! and Sorcery! 2, The Longest Journey Remastered (I have it for PC on GOG.com, but the portability and touchscreen appeal to me).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I've been getting into Warhammer Quest lately.
    jackjack said:

I've been getting into Warhammer Quest lately.

Also on my to play list. I already have it, too bad to have the complete game (DLC wise) is quite expensive.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Yeah, the DLC prices are whacko. I bought a couple of different classes, so it's cost me 7 bucks already :/