Skip to content

"powergaming" or "strong" party Icewind Dale II?

so there is BG2 thread with powergaming but what about IWD2? it is more complicated but also way bigger on character creation and so on.

i am curious of your party especially rogues coz i have read ultimate powergaming party and other guide and their "thief" is drow thief(1)/conjurer
Str: 11
Dex: 20
Con: 16
Int: 20
Wis: 8
Cha: 5

but not only drows are ECL -2 u also pick 1 lvl thief for all the thief bonus skills and that means u are 3 levels behind normal wizards

Comments

• ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    I guess you refer to Egervari's UPP. Personally I found Jukka's UPP (JUPP) to be a better guide. Not only it provides you 2 different parties that you can mix, but also gives solid tips on how to create your own characters.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    11 strength doesn't sound very strong to me.

In all seriousness, the most overpowered party in Icewind Dale 2 would be a team of clerics. They can fully heal themselves instantly, fully heal the entire party, create extremely powerful undead, cast extremely powerful stun spells (Symbol of Hopelessness), and more. Clerics in IWD2 are so good.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366

11 strength doesn't sound very strong to me.

;)

well clerics are strong but still the most destructive spells are still arcane but the gap is lower than that of baldur's gate so this it is nice
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    @zur312, do you plan to beat IWD2 on HoF? Or is just a theoretical discussion?
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    It's probably not a good idea to drop Wisdom too low. If it's anything like 3.5 rules, that stat has an effect when it comes to mind altering spells, things like Confusion etc. The lower your Wisdom the greater the chance of being affected.
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    Shikao said:

@zur312, do you plan to beat IWD2 on HoF? Or is just a theoretical discussion?

i do not

but discussion is about powergaming
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    Belanos said:

It's probably not a good idea to drop Wisdom too low. If it's anything like 3.5 rules, that stat has an effect when it comes to mind altering spells, things like Confusion etc. The lower your Wisdom the greater the chance of being affected.

Yea it affects your will save in IWD2.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sure, but only 1 point / 2 WIS
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    You can usually get away with dropping WIS a little for mages/sorcerers though, as they have naturally high Will saves.
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    zur312 said:

but not only drows are ECL -2 u also pick 1 lvl thief for all the thief bonus skills and that means u are 3 levels behind normal wizards

It sounds like a lot but as the game wears on you'll see that the drow rogue 1/conjurer x is a very good choice, even in normal mode.

There simply aren't that many spell scrolls to buy or find compared to your character's level. A couple of months ago, I was running two different parties simultaneously. One party had a moon elf rogue/wizard and the other party used the power party drow. The drow was the better choice. The moon elf was at a higher wizard level but there were no spells to scribe.

Not only will the drow not have to worry about having blank pages in his spell book, he also gets spell resistance and some saving throw bonuses. In other words, it's okay to drop wisdom to 8 since he gets other bonuses to make up for a score below 10.