Skip to content

2 general BG questions

1) How often is stealth checked once hide in shadows succeeds?

2) If a char can see an invisible foe and can successfully entangle that foe, will that foe then become targetable by those party members who cannot see through invisibility?

Thank you for your attention.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2014
    1) Every one round since you've hid.

2) Yes, if someone in your party or as an ally (Devas/Planetars for example) can see invisible creatures and target them they become visible to all the party and allied creatures.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    1) is not correct. How often it's checked depends on stealth scores and I don't know the exact formula. Just try it though, if you successfully stealth you won't see another check after 6 seconds, sometimes it can be 20-30 seconds until the next roll.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085

1) is not correct. How often it's checked depends on stealth scores and I don't know the exact formula. Just try it though, if you successfully stealth you won't see another check after 6 seconds, sometimes it can be 20-30 seconds until the next roll.

The game engine knocks time differently in some aspects.

A turn in-game (10 rounds) is 60-seconds real time.

6 minutes of real time is equal to 60 rounds in-game - a full in-game hour.

Stealth is checked very 5 rounds in-game time, equal to 30 seconds of real-time.

-----
    1 day = 24 hours = 144 turns (real-time minutes) = 1440 rounds = 8640 seconds
    1 hour = 6 turns (real-time minutes) = 60 rounds = 360 seconds
    1 turn (real-time minute) = 10 rounds = 60 seconds
    1 round = 6 seconds
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited December 2014

Stealth is checked very 5 rounds in-game time, equal to 30 seconds of real-time.

What are you basing this on? I just tested this by looking at the "Stealth Succeeded" message in the dialog window, and I timed a couple intervals and they were ~17 and ~20 seconds. This with 95 in MS/HIS, and at 30 fps.

Edit: Also, an in game hour is 5 minutes real time.
    Post edited by TJ_Hooker on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    2) err, no, when I have an invisible enemy and a planetar I summoned, thr planetar will see the enemy and attack the the invisible enemy, it is like watching her attack the empty air, while my pc and other party members can not see the enemy and thus can not attack at all.
  • JustChipJustChip Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2014
    --> Perhaps I need to qualify my questions regularly so that mods between the versions come out in the wash:

The 2 questions are related to vanilla BG1 (no EE or mods applied) which may alter how mechanics are being implemented. Apologies for not declaring that straight out. :( <--

The #1 stealth inquiry still seems vague to me, checking somewhere between every 1-5 rounds and at least somewhat dependent on class level and/or other factors. The reason I asked is that newly-fledged thieves need to stealth on eggshells, especially among foes like basilisks without 100% rating reached yet. Knowing the approximate interval would help determine how far into perception range can be traveled reliably (from check to check) until the danger of discovery (i.e. failed check) could become disastrous.

The #2 question relates to whether the graphics associated with a spell effect can potentially alter the concealment status of the opposition to other party members. I am trying to identify which effects in particular could expose targeting opportunities that would otherwise be impossible. So... perhaps a better question might be: can all graphic effects applied by spells (using the green mesh coating of Entangle as just one example) become visible by all members of the party? I suppose you could throw Sanctuary-concealed foes into the mix as well though it seems to treat both concealment methods about the same, graphics-wise anyway. Essentially, I am trying to discover whether there are other methods of revealing concealed foes than Detect Invisibility, Invisibility Purge, etc. (not sure if dispelling will reveal invisible and/or sanctuary concealment either).

Whether a single member possessed some version of permanent True Seeing or similar property never really entered my original deliberation (re: @lunar). That could be another discussion I suppose.

But thanks for all the input. Whether it fully resolved my concerns or not, I've learned quite a bit, regardless.

Post edited by JustChip on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Web, grease or entangle effects may show on an invisible target. They may even get confused, or held (if caught in the area of effect of a suitable hold spell) and their effects show too, the circling birds animation and rotating globes animation of hold. Still the creature itself will be invisible and untargetable. You can launch area attacks to their direction, though. Once a fireball cooks them nicely their charred, lifeless bodies WILL be visible.