Skip to content

Wizard Slayer Overhaul (deprecated)

AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
edited September 2023 in General Modding
Don't use this, it's poorly done and may break your game.

UPDATED: Version 2.0 is here! Or is it 3.0? Don't remember... guess that's why people put the version number somewhere in the mods

Changes are extensive.
Halved duration on both innate abilities, changed when you get them, nulify magic now silences every arcane (and only arcane... priests everywhere breathe a sigh of relief) caster including party, protect is now called protect allies and drops your MR to increase your party's and disadvantages have been completely replaced since the old ones didn't make sense

Here's the updated description:

WIZARD SLAYER: This warrior specializes in hunting down wielders of arcane magic. To that end, conditions body to resist magic and learns techniques that can disrupt spellcasting. The Wizard Slayer must remain fully devoted to cause and cannot pursue additional professions.

Advantages:
- Gains 20% magic resistance at level 1.
- Gains additional 2% bonus to magic resistance per level.
- Gains the Nulify Magic ability at level 1 and additional uses at levels 10 and 20.
- Gains the Protect ability at level 1 and additional uses at levels 10 and 20

Nulify Magic:
Upon activation, the wizard slayer nulifes arcane magic in a 30ft area around . Any arcane spellcasters caught in the area of effect will experience 100% spell failure for 5 rounds. This effect bypasses magic resistance and can't be saved against.

Protect Allies:

For the next 5 rounds the Wizard Slayer sacrifices 20% of magic resistance and applies it to party.

Disadvantages:

- The Wizard Slayer discipline requires dedication and as a result they cannot dual class
- The arduous training Wizard Slayers go through takes its toll and results in -2 Constitution
- Devotion to mage hunting limits this warrior's martial training and can only achieve mastery (3 slots) in any weapon

Installation:

(skips steps 1 and 2 if you haven't installed previous versions of this mod)

1.If you have installed a previous version, find setup-ws2.exe in your game directory, run it and choose uninstall
2.Delete setup_wso.exe, setup-ws2.exe, setup-ws2.tp2, wso and ws2 folder from your game directory (whichever ones of these you have)
3.Extract the archive into your game directory,
4.Run setup-wso.exe

Conflicts:

1.Old version
2.Anything that messes with the Wizard Slayer kit
Post edited by Allbrother on

Comments

• QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    That is nice and all, but IWD still lacks wizards to battle. There are like what, four, in the game?
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    The mod has now been updated, renamed, made compatible with BG:EE and BG2:EE and the thread moved to general modding
  • MeyahiMeyahi Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2014
    The Nulify Magic ability is extremely overpowered even if it disables your own casters. The drawbacks are not nearly enough.

On the other hand, it does enable a party without a mage/priest, maybe an inquisitor -Keldorn?- for True Sight and getting rid of other precast stuff like iron skins. And this should let you RP your choice of allies.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2014
    even if null magic is OP, you only get one or two uses of it. So you'll be resting a lot if you really wanted to cheese it, you get a couple "I win the battle against the casters" every day. I guess it'd be 1 in BGEE, and two for SOA and three total in TOB.

Inquisitor is more general purpose.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    I like the rework, thanks for doing it.
    Meyahi said:

The Nulify Magic ability is extremely overpowered even if it disables your own casters. The drawbacks are not nearly enough.

On the other hand, it does enable a party without a mage/priest, maybe an inquisitor -Keldorn?- for True Sight and getting rid of other precast stuff like iron skins. And this should let you RP your choice of allies.

It does not affect allies, poor wording in the description, sorry.
    As far as being OP goes, I figure someone fancying themselves a wizard slayer should be able to become a wizard nightmare at least once a day.
    That said, I'll consider any feedback regarding balance or ability requests

things I'm currently considering for future update:

1.Making Protect scale with levels

2.Making Nulify Magic obtainable at higher levels

3.At lower levels, replacing Nulify Magic with an ability that drains spells

Thoughts?
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited February 2015
    It looks like this thread lacks feedback. Are you still working on this @ALLbrother ?

Here are some of my thoughts on the Wizard Slayer:

- I think Nulify Magic would be fine or does it also remove already cast protection spells?

- Give the WS something to remove Wizards melee protection, maybe innate breach but modified as a touch spell? That could improve with level to remove more than one protection etc.

- An attack that confuses spell caster (Miscast chance)

- Maybe no permanant Magic resistance, but an ability that increase MR for some rounds called Resist Magic
    for example:

Resist Magic:
    *MR set to 50% for 1 round per 5 level
    *gain additional uses ever 4 levels
    *at level 10 increase to 60% and to 70% at level 20

- +X Bonus Damage against Mages

For BG2:EE there could be nice HLAs
    - An HLA ability to remove all spells from 1 target (Antimagic touch or Disrupt Magic)

I hope you still working on the mod, it is a nice mod :) Thanks for making it.
    Post edited by Darkersun on
    I just randomly rediscovered this so I went and updated it. You could say I overhauled it... I'll show myself out
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited June 2018
    @Allbrother

For what I saw on the code this mod overwrites all the 2da files related to it (instead of just appending or altering).

Am I correct? Do you intend to alter it? Because the way it is I think it will not be compatible with any other mod that alters the same files - unless your mod is always installed ahead of everything.

And did you by any chance altered the gear restriction?

Thanks.
  • StoneSwordsStoneSwords Member Posts: 180
    Is it intended to not be able to wear metal armor with this mod? I'm only in the starting area, but I can't equip anything over studded leather, and I have 18 strength
    I believe so, though I don't really remember.

But in case you didn't notice the '(deprecated)' in the title and the "don't use this" in the first post, let me advise you again:

Don't use this mod, it's not well done. Try one of these instead:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/24181/wizard-slayer-rebalancing-for-bg-ee-and-bgii-ee/p1

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/68377/kit-revision-relieve-wizard-slayer-v1-7-iwdee-eet-bgee-bg2ee
  • morpheus562morpheus562 Member Posts: 250
    Skills and Abilities also overhauls the Wizard Slayer with the aid of EEex. The Wizard Slayer will have the detect illusions set at 100 to be able to detect illusioned enemies. His will also have a chance of casting dispel magic on hit (bypassing pfmw and similar protections).