Skip to content

Grandmastery points

Is it possible to put all your points in a single proficiency when you create a new character, or you need to be a certain level after which you can put more than 2 points?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2014
    In EEs, and IWDEE including, you can't put more than 2 proficiency points in one type of weapon during the character creation from the 1st level.

For warriors, next proficiency points will come every 3 levels (at the 3rd, 6th, 9th levels and so on). So if it's a general fighter, you'll be able to get the grandmastery at the 9th level.

Meanwhile, prior to the 1.3 patch for BGEE if you dual-classsed from anything to Fighter at level 2, you could put all four pips into one weapon. This way when you reached the 3rd level of fighter you could get your desired grandmastery. Now this exploit is closed. It doesn't work in IWDEE as well.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • moosenmoosen Member Posts: 3
    bengoshi said:

In EEs, and IWDEE including, you can't put more than 2 proficiency points in one type of weapon during the character creation from the 1st level.

For warriors, next proficiency points will come every 3 levels (at the 3rd, 6th, 9th levels and so on).

Thanks man.

I quit dwarven defender, then archer because I thought it was a bug.

Back to create my team from scratch. So much time...
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    bengoshi said:

Meanwhile, if you you dual-class from anything to Fighter at level 2, you can put all four pips into one weapon. This way when you reach the 3rd level of fighter you'll get your desired grandmastery.

Dun, dun, dun.... Did I just caught @bengoshi‌ at being wrong? Oo

Now seriously. I don't have IWDEE, so I can only check that in BGEE and there might be difference. However, when I dualed to Fighter I couldn't put more than 2 points in proficiency.
  • moosenmoosen Member Posts: 3
    I never dual classed, I prefer pure classes.

Even though a pure Thief or Kensai is not probably the best choice, I still am going to make a pure Thief or Kensai.

Maybe when I finish playing with all the pure classes and kits I want, I'll try dual classing.

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Shikao‌

I followed Dee's answer here:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/342453/#Comment_342453

But after your post I went to explore it more and it has turned out that had been considered a bug prior to the version 1.3 of BGEE http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/10508/dual-classing-to-a-fighter-lets-you-put-4-stars-in-the-same-weapon-at-level-1 that later had been fixed. As IWDEE uses all the enhancements BGEE had, it's not possible now to get 4 pips after dual-classing in BGEE and in IWDEE.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    No matter what the situation, you aren't permitted to put more than 2 points in any prof. at level 1. The only exception is when you make a new character in BG2, where you basically cheat the system.

In fact in BG1 grand mastery without mods was hardly even a thing; a fighter could only get enough points for High Mastery with the XP cap.