Skip to content

Mac fullscreen mode function key precedence

This may be intentional, but I think its a step backwards in functionality.

Old behavior: In 1.2, while playing in fullscreen mode on a Mac, hitting f11 will use my 3rd quckslot item, and f12 will access my special abilities. All function keys work this way. In windowed mode, however, the OS keybindings take precedence.

New behavior: In 1.3, while playing in fullscreen mode, hitting f11 shows my desktop, and f12 shows dashboard, despite both items having tooltips that say otherwise. Other function keys have the same problem if bound to something else in the System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts pane.

I think the game should take precedence for function key input instead of the OS shortcuts that you probably won't use while playing a game in fullscreen mode. If the change is intentional behavior, then the tooltips shouldn't show hot keys that don't work. OS keybindings should take precedence over function keys only in windowed mode, as they did in 1.2.

Comments

• hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Isn't this standard behaviour in a well-behaved Mac-application? You can activate the setting "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" in System Preferences -> Keyboard if you don't want to use the fn-key on your keyboard.
  • dashteacupdashteacup Member Posts: 52
    I already have that setting selected. All that does is invert whether or not I have to hit fn to adjust the volume/brightness/etc. That has no effect on the fact that the OS function key bindings override the game ones.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    edited December 2014
    Ah, I understand you now. It was such a long time since I deactivated those shortcuts that I forgot they existed. I think they caused trouble for me in VMware Fusion as well. Apple should know better than to put OS-wide shortcuts on the F-keys.