Skip to content

[IWD:EE] Eliminate Fog in Easthaven Prologue - Make it like Candlekeep in BG:EE

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
edited November 2014 in Feature Requests
Let's remove the "Fog of War" from Easthaven.

Granted you've only been there a short time, but you're already in town when game starts. Not to mention, Hrothgar gives you directions.

As the starting prologue area, I think it'd be great if it was setup like Candlekeep in BG:EE. Not only that, but the EH map is beautiful and seeing it all from the get go would be pretty cool.

The Orc Cave area to the east would obviously still be shrouded.

Just my two cents :) Feel free to disagree.

Comments

• MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    I agree 100%! I'm one of those crazy people who tend to try to clear the entire map anyway and it's impossible to on the first map with how the houses are setup and with the lake.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    agree.
    And Kuldahar too.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2014
    kensai said:

agree.
    And Kuldahar too.

I can see how that would work as well, but seeing that your party has never been to Kuldahar before and its not the Prologue (where you are still learning the game), I don't mind exploring that one as much. Though, it would make getting lost in the roots of the tree not so easy for first time players (lol). If we want to turn it up a notch and say "unshroud all towns" then I think that change makes sense across the board. (Including the city of Baldur's Gate in EE). But I think the opinion on that will certainly vary.
    If you are OCD like me the lack of fog is a good thing. Especially in cities.
  • I hate the fog in cities, can we mod it away?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

I hate the fog in cities, can we mod it away?

Yes. I'm not in front of the game to test, does this work?

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    agreed.
    kuldahar too.
    edited November 2014

Can't try it currently, but I will when I get home later.

Can't try it currently, but I will when I get home later.
    yeah I'll try it too... The codes mostly from Bg2 tweaks which has a component that does the same thing. It seems straightforward but I'm not confident enough in my weiduing to assume it works without testing it.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228

kensai said:

agree.
    And Kuldahar too.

I can see how that would work as well, but seeing that your party has never been to Kuldahar before and its not the Prologue (where you are still learning the game), I don't mind exploring that one as much. Though, it would make getting lost in the roots of the tree not so easy for first time players (lol). If we want to turn it up a notch and say "unshroud all towns" then I think that change makes sense across the board. (Including the city of Baldur's Gate in EE). But I think the opinion on that will certainly vary.
    I understand your point and respect that. And we can solve this little problem nice and clean - we just need to add a map at cost of 1 gold to various goods shop (forgot his name, it's shop near arcdruid).
    If you buy this map, you can use it, it dissapears from your inventory and all black fog of war around Great Tree dissapears too.
    You could do that but you don't have to do that in BG2 so it would be different. In BG2 you walk out of Chataeu Irenicus and immediately know the whole town not only the area you are in but all town areas.

I figured it was kinda shorthand for asking directions. Like people would tell you about the town and your dude could see kinda far. Almost like a Take 20* roll of "detect surroundings" or something. You know what I mean? In the wild you have hostile things potentially blocking your view and whatnot but in town you can take 20 and see it all through your senses asking random people little questions and whatnot.

(take 20 assumes that a character makes sufficient retries to obtain the maximum possible check result on a roll)
    by the way if anyone was wondering the minimod listed above works..
    Still haven't had a chance to try it. Can you see the Goblins milling about at the bottom-right of the map or are they hidden by the um... sub-fog (where the map is visible but the people aren't until you're closer)? That's the only concern I had. If they are then that's cool.
    Good mod! Works for me too! I'd still like to see an enhancement come from it hopefully one day!

Still haven't had a chance to try it. Can you see the Goblins milling about at the bottom-right of the map or are they hidden by the um... sub-fog (where the map is visible but the people aren't until you're closer)? That's the only concern I had. If they are then that's cool.

You can't see anybody but the map is explored, just like in BG2. You can only see people (or goblins) when you get close enough

You can't see anybody but the map is explored, just like in BG2. You can only see people (or goblins) when you get close enough

Perfect
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited December 2014
    Fog of War is the fog you see for areas that you've previously explored but currently don't have vision of.
    Shroud is the black fog that covers areas that have never been explored by you.

Starcraft 2 features a 2nd variation of the Fog of War. You can see the whole map at the start (No shroud) but the Fog of War for areas you haven't yet explored is darker than the areas you have previously explored (I've personally noticed that it is very difficult to notice the difference between the 2 versions of Fog of War on budget/low quality computer displays).

Just clearing that up for ya HaHaCharade.