Skip to content

Should rules be consistent between the current EEs?

WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
Would you like to see rules made consistent between the EEs? Specifically in regards to spell descriptions where spell duration changes between each game which is a turn off for anyone trying to learn what spells do. Spell lists could also be included. I am NOT suggesting to add HLAs - keep that to another thread.
  1. Should rules be consistent between the current EEs?39 votes
    1. Yes, make the rules as consistent as possible
      30.77%
    2. Yes, make spell descriptions consistent but don't add IWD spells to BG
      12.82%
    3. Yes, add IWD spells to BG but keep spell differences
      25.64%
    4. No, leave the games as they were intended
      25.64%
    5. No, leave the games as is, furthermore, remove BG spells from IWD.
        5.13%

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I think that IWDEE is very fine. Just the right mix of everything. I won't touch anything in terms of rules. I like how the spells and abilities from BG are felt there.

In terms of backporting IWDEE feature into BG I would vote for having options. To me, the main thing is that anyone could set his own features in the menu. Something like:

Want automatic max HP on level up - you can do it in the game settings.

Want IWD spells in BG - you can do it in the game settings.

Want sneak attacks in BG - you can do it in the game settings.

And so on. This is the only way to make everyone happy.

As for the certain spell effects I vote for leaving BG spells effects to act as they have done previously. For e.g., the Emotion spell in BG2EE now acts as it does in IWDEE - making enemies sleep till they're hit. This looks strange in BG, I think.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I like the way IWD:EE is now but it would be even better if they make spells consistent.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    bengoshi said:

I think that IWDEE is very fine. Just the right mix of everything. I won't touch anything in terms of rules. I like how the spells and abilities from BG are felt there.

In terms of backporting IWDEE feature into BG I would vote for having options. To me, the main thing is that anyone could set his own features in the menu. Something like:

Want automatic max HP on level up - you can do it in the game settings.

Want IWD spells in BG - you can do it in the game settings.

Want sneak attacks in BG - you can do it in the game settings.

And so on. This is the only way to make everyone happy.

As for the certain spell effects I vote for leaving BG spells effects to act as they have done previously. For e.g., the Emotion spell in BG2EE now acts as it does in IWDEE - making enemies sleep till they're hit. This looks strange in BG, I think.

I think in many ways that spells are better balanced in IWDee so I'm glad that some things are taken to bg2ee.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'd be more than happy if we just get all those fancy IWD druid spells within the BG saga at some point. And shapeshifting... yes... gotta love arthropod shapeshifting.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    @OP
    yeah they should. imo almost all iwd rules are superior and they should be ported to both BGs.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited December 2014
    I don't see anything wrong with having two different experiences. Giving each game its own flavor keeps them fresh imo.

However, I will never be against providing choices. Ideally there would be a situation like @bengoshi‌ proposes in which people have the ability to decide for themselves how consistent the games would be.
  • JLee said:

I don't see anything wrong with having two different experiences. Giving each game its own flavor keeps them fresh imo.

However, I will never be against providing choices. Ideally there would be a situation like @bengoshi‌ proposes in which people have the ability to decide for themselves how consistent the games would be.

this
    in regards to @elminster‌'s long post, these are my opinions:

1.1) better in BG1&2:EE, can be ported to IWD:EE
    - Dispel based on level
    - no save (vs. half) for Fire Storm

1.2) better in BG1&2:EE, can NOT be ported to IWD:EE without change
    - none (so far)

2.1) better in IWD:EE can be ported to BG1&2:EE
    - 80% fire resistance (Protection From Fire)
    - non-party-friendly insect plague
    - magic resistance protects from magical fire (Fire Storm)
    - Creeping Doom, way cooler; "improved Insect Plague" is over the top and repetitive
    - unlimited spell power progression for those spells that cap out at lvl20 in BG2:EE (that means 40 for a bard)

2.2) better in IWD:EE can NOT be ported to BG1&2:EE without change
    - Earthquake, neater in IWD and size considerations are a very cool concept but the absolute 10 HD limitation is bad. some adjustment could be made for BG (for example, huge and >10 HD creatures only receive damage, no other effects)
    I'm really happy to see a good discussion.

I do notice that in many cases the weaker version of the spell from the alternate game would address a spell being to powerful in the other game.

I also notice that the stronger version of some spells would see a spell being useful where it wasn't before.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I really don't see why we should expect the two games to be identical. They're different games. What's the use in pretending they're not? I don't even really see what we get from making them identical. I mean, do we really mind that one has to learn two games to play two games? I certainly don't. Of course I also don't mind you want to mod the games to play identically, but that's all it should be: a mod.

I would, of course, like for spell descriptions to be clarified, such that people can easily identify what exactly a spell does. The EEs have already made great strides towards that, but it's still rarely obvious, for example, whether or not a spell is party-friendly.
    Jarrakul said:

I really don't see why we should expect the two games to be identical. They're different games. What's the use in pretending they're not? I don't even really see what we get from making them identical. I mean, do we really mind that one has to learn two games to play two games? I certainly don't. Of course I also don't mind you want to mod the games to play identically, but that's all it should be: a mod.

I would, of course, like for spell descriptions to be clarified, such that people can easily identify what exactly a spell does. The EEs have already made great strides towards that, but it's still rarely obvious, for example, whether or not a spell is party-friendly.

But who wants to remember that in one game a spell lasts x but in the other it lasts y?

While spell duration sounds trivial it was actually the stimulus for this thread as it effects buff order, priority and refresh rate which is really tedious to keep track of when it's changing depending on what game you load up.
    Jarrakul said:

the point is not about something becoming identical, it's about something becoming *better*.
    bob_veng said:

Jarrakul said:

the point is not about something becoming identical, it's about something becoming *better*.
    Indeed. Certainly each game would be better with some spell exchanges to tone down some overpowered spells (insect plague) and buff up some underpowered spells (color spray).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    If the point is to make the game's better, why are you trying to make them identical? They differ vastly in party structure, quest structure, itemization, and encounter structure. It hardly seems likely that a single spell list could produce the best results for both games. One could, of course, argue about improvements that need to be made to each game, but that's a very different question from whether the end results should be the same.
    edited December 2014
    Jarrakul said:

... It hardly seems likely that a single spell list could produce the best results for both games ...

Well i think it would. Maybe not 100% identical, but almost there. I'd be willing to prove it if it wasn't a massive undertaking (just to point out the differences and explain which is better).
    It's really not about end results being the same, it's about superior prevailing over inferior regardless of which game it originates from. What i argue is that the *end result* is going to be an almost identical (maybe even completely identical) spell list, and that IWD spell variants will mostly take over because they're usually better.
    That's just my opinion, no need to get into meta-discussion here.