Skip to content

Restored Textscreen Music

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited December 2014
    @kungfuhobbit‌ - The attached archive contains two files: a revised txtmusic.tp2 file and CHAPTXT-BGEE.2DA. You'll need to download the mod core and a language pack first. Then unzip the archive and copy the files into the txtmusic folder before installing the mod.

Also, be sure to have an updated version of WeiDU. I changed the audio handling to WeiDU's HANDLE_AUDIO function (it takes advantage of the fact that BGEE can read Ogg Vorbis encoded files).

archive.zip

@Ascension64‌ - If you want to use any of the edits I made for BGEE compatibility in a future version of the mod, please be my guest.
  • kungfuhobbitkungfuhobbit Member Posts: 169
    Massive thanks @AstroBryGuy‌
    Unfortunately it falls over on the second line of prologue screen 'It is an imposing fortress' by starting to play the music again over the top of what's already playing
    I hadn't even noticed that BGEE had a background music track on the prologue. I had the music volume setting down too low to hear it.

The Textmusic mod presumes that there is no background music track, as was the case for BGT and Tutu. BGEE has apparently fixed this, so its playing the background music track along with the main track.

If you can figure out what the music file is for the background track, you could probably put a blank version in the override to silence it.

edited December 2014
    [deleted]
    Post edited by kungfuhobbit on
    @AstroBryGuy‌
    Unfortunately I cant find the call to the second purely instrumental sound file (CDAY1A.acm from the MUSIC subfolder of NI).
    It's not done in CHPTXT0.2DA/ar2600.bcs/existing or new files added by the mod
    It is an instrumental piece played in background at Wyrm's Crossing AR0900 so I cant simply blank it :(

How is ambient background music called by an area please? It doesn't seem to be from the AR0900.bcs

Thanks anyone who can help
    The ambient music for an area is specified in the ARE file.

http://gibberlings3.net/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/are_v1.htm#formAREAV1_0_Song_entries

That may be the same music, but I don't think its the same file. AR0900 is playing CDAY1A.acm, which has bird sounds with the music. Since there are no bird sounds in the prologue, the prologue music must be in a different file.

The original Textmusic mod homepage says "Since the music is hard-coded into Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast, this music was remixed into the narration sounds." So, it appears that this is not something that is moddable.

Just curious, but since the music plays on BGEE, why do you need the Textmusic mod at all?
    agh, pulling my hair out with this. Ive tried adding my own overridden chptxt0.2da without success.
    Candlekeep AR2600.ARE and .bcs don't seem to help. Nor does renaming cday2.mus to cday1 and putting into override do anything - the same song plays. The IncrementChapter() function in AR2600.bcs seems to call the textscreen

There's a jarring 9 second delay for the music to begin without the mod.
    Strangely, with the mod the second lot of music cant be heard until 20 seconds in

This is a very odd and frustrating situation