Skip to content

Waylaying waves. Buggy or default?

I'm wondering if this happens to any of you...

My party has been waylaid a few times now where, once the group that did the initial ambush was killed, my party, in the act of gathering spoils and healing up, was attacked by a new wave of attackers that would spawn out of nowhere, occasionally with a different collection of creature types in the second wave. Up to this point in my BG-revisited playing history I've only experienced one additional wave popping in (mainly because my party became so depleted and tired during the 2nd attack that we had to make a run for it about halfway through our 2nd-wave defense :( ), but it's possible this anomaly may have repeated over again and again until we were all just grease spots on the turf. Dunno.

I don't recall this EVER happening in any play-throughs before (mine is a strictly, unmodified but patched vanilla BG1 version). I think I would have remembered it happening, though. This run-through in question is being played as multiplayer so am not sure if that has any effect or not.

Some main party stats are: protag is LN but with Imoen elevated to leader with her dominant Cha (16 + 2 w/cloak = 18) and party rep has been ranging from about 10 to 13 throughout. Right now the party has 5 members with just one evil member. The extra waves have occurred a few times before the party reached its current membership. I's say this is about 4th time it has happened, all within Ch 1.

I've considered posting this report/inquiry to the Tech support area but before that, I wanted to discover if this was how the game was intended to perform or not (it may have been just "dumb" luck that it hadn't occurred in all the previous runs).

Anyone have this occur in their games, either SP or MP? Is there something about party characteristics that may be influencing or triggering the extra waves?

TIA for any enlightenment, folks!

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Has never happened to me.

Party composition would have nothing to do with it, it being a multiplayer game might.

When you say vanilla BG1 do you mean the orginial or the EE.

If its the original define patched and unmodded. baldurdash for example is an unofficial patch released for the game that might have fixed the issue.
  • Spjuv3rnSpjuv3rn Member Posts: 61
    Used to happen to me years ago, when i was much slower and not as used to the controls.

In my experience it's time based and happens if you stick around to long on the waylaying maps.
  • JustChipJustChip Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2014
    deltago said:

Has never happened to me.
    Party composition would have nothing to do with it, it being a multiplayer game might.

When you say vanilla BG1 do you mean the orginial or the EE.

If its the original define patched and unmodded. baldurdash for example is an unofficial patch released for the game that might have fixed the issue.

Good info about ruling out party mix, thanks deltago. Actually, this did happen a few times in a SP go, but I passed it off as a burp.

This is the original (no EE or expansions) 5-cd game with official patch 1.1.4315 only applied but with Miloch wyvern fix. Kind of neurotic about installing unofficial patches unless the game just ceases to play at all (like it did until I installed the wyvern animation crash fix... thank goodness for that one ;) ).
    Spjuv3rn said:

Used to happen to me years ago, when i was much slower and not as used to the controls.

In my experience it's time based and happens if you stick around to long on the waylaying maps.

Yeah, my reflexes may be slowing at the same rate as the greying of what's left of my hair.

Usually, waylaid spoils are few and far between so collection is relatively quick. My party is bandit scalp collecting atm though, and was waylaid by 8-10 archers in a first wave that pummeled my mage pretty good, followed by 4 wolves, 6 knolls and another half-dozen or so bandits in wave 2 that were intent on finishing off the mage. In both cases, the ambush was one of those wide hostile spread 360 degree ones where every member was immediately exposed *sigh* and AoE spells like sleep or horror wouldn't effect very many. Pretty nasty for level 3 party to deal with... twice in a row.

I guess I'll need to change my pack-ratting habits to more closely reflect my RL fingers. Thanks, for sharing, Spjuv3rn. ;)