Skip to content

Stat restrictions

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I know this may not be the most popular position to take, but would it be possible to make more restrictions on the level of stats characters are allowed to have?

I mean doesn't anyone else think that it is ridiculous that anyone can have 3 intelligence? I mean, assuming that 9-10 intelligence is normal intelligence (and admittedly I don't know the intelligence most people you run into in the game have), 3 intelligence would imply that you are severely mentally dysfunctional. I get that by making your character have such low intelligence you can add to other stats, but realistically how many random people do you run into in the game with such abysmal scores?

Comments

• Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Fallout games handled low intelligence well. ;)
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited June 2012
    Eh, I like roleplaying low stats. My current character has 3 charisma because he's arrogant, rude and condescending and generally thinks he's the greatest scholar who's ever lived. He still has a soft spot for Imoen though. Imoen's basically become the leader of the party while CHARNAME moans about everything and/or insults people. Who specifically someone talks to determines my reaction, and generally if they decide to walk up to CHARNAME they're in for an earful...
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    3 Strength, you're barely able to move (crawl) from the front of Winthrop Inn (as clean as an elven arse, always) to Gorion without dying of exhaustion?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Iansounet
    If that 3 Strength character had 18 Constitution would he exhaust himself that fast?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Well Idk, its just a thought. I do like the idea of having some changes to the journal to reflect your inability to read and write properly. For instance, like they do well in "arcanum of steamworks and magick obscura", as well as the fallout series.

I think intelligence is the only one that really bugs me, for obvious reasons. As some of you have pointed out there are more serious penalties for having lower strength (carrying capacity) and constitution (health) in the game. There is one serious consequence to having lower intelligence in baldur's gate 2, apart from Lore. But it is only if you want to go to one specific area of the game (which I won't go spoiling for anyone). Wisdom and Charisma are also not particularly essential either, although at least Minsc I know won't join your party if your party leaders charisma is too low and a low charisma means lower experience gained from completing quests. Both of which can be basically ignored by having someone else as leader. Anyways, I think either some kind of restriction placed on especially the bottom limits of stats, or a journal rewrite based to some degree on intelligence would be cool (the latter of which would require much more effort I would imagine).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Ohh and there are of course penalties already to not having good dexterity.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    As strange as it is, I do support this request. But I primaly do mean it about intelligence, wisdom and charisma. About first two - where has PC grown and who has raised him? I do believe that in Candlekeep, place with really GREAT liblary and it was Gorion, sage who has rised PC. Seriously, do such character is supposed to have intelligence and wisdom lower than, let's say, 9? It is highly unrealistic IMO.

About charisma. It's not that importan, but I think that party leader, and later a great hero shoul have just a little charisma. Values like 3 are laughable at best.

I doubt this would be implemented into actual game, thought.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    That all makes sense, but if what you are saying were true. Example if we must have X inteligence then we start the game limited, in a not D&D way when this game follows D&D model. There are plenty games out there already that limit your choices. And don't forget we are supposed to roll the dice, not everybody will roll forever to get the best stats, if they want to sacrifice inteligence (since they don't need it) they should be able to do it. Not be limited because he should know how to read.
    As strange as it is, I do support this request. But I primaly do mean it about intelligence, wisdom and charisma. About first two - where has PC grown and who has raised him? I do believe that in Candlekeep, place with really GREAT liblary and it was Gorion, sage who has rised PC. Seriously, do such character is supposed to have intelligence and wisdom lower than, let's say, 9? It is highly unrealistic IMO.

About charisma. It's not that importan, but I think that party leader, and later a great hero shoul have just a little charisma. Values like 3 are laughable at best.

I doubt this would be implemented into actual game, thought.
    Just because you want to play CHARNAME as a great hero and party leader doesn't mean everyone does ;)
    @Communard Just some common sense. Person raised by powerfull mage in a town with a great library can't have intelligence level of a gibberling.
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2012
    @Space_hamster

Yeah it would be great if BG3 had a fallout like system relating to interactions and intelligence.

@pacek

''I think if you put a 3 in intelligence, all the game's text should be gibberish. Should make for interesting playthrough! Likewise a 3 in Charisma absolutely no one - not even Imoen at game start - should want to talk to you.''

That would be awesome.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    if you had asked me 10-12 years ago, I would have been against this idea. I distinctly remember rolling a near perfect paladin back then, he had 18 in everything except intelligence, which became the obvious "dump stat" as always, landing at a measly 5. Nowadays I tend to stay away from such powergaming-isms... even if INT doesn't do anything ingame, I'll at least raise it to "normal" levels. It does feel a tad bitter sometimes to do so at the expense of more important stats however...

It would be awesome if the game actually responded to your INT score, like Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout or Arcanum (Silly guy scares me!). There is no way I would have lowered it to such abysmal levels if all dialogue would have made me sound like an orc / the village idiot, even back then. Still, rewriting all PROTAGONISTs dialogue options would take.. quite some time... perhaps as a mod project? Wouldn't it be fun to sit and rewrite old classic dialogue and "stupify" it? :P

Gorion: "Ah, my child I am glad I have found you"

PROT: "What be dis about Pa? Why we be rushing to leave?"

Gorion: "There is no time to explain, gather your belongings and let's go!"

PROT: "Me no understand, what harm us in here? Walls is big!!"

Having int affect stats is probably the best we can hope for from BG:EE. That said, What are the exact PnP rules for int in 2:nd edition?
    edited June 2012

Having int affect stats is probably the best we can hope for from BG:EE. That said, What are the exact PnP rules for int in 2:nd edition?
    There are no mechanical disadvantages for low INT except lack of ability to cast spells and the fact you can only speak one language (or none at 1 int!). I'll quote the Player's Handbook on what it is supposed to represent:

"This ability gives only a general indication of a character's mental acuity. A semi-intelligent character (Int 3 or 4) can speak (with difficulty) and is apt to react instinctively or impulisvely. He is not hopeless as a player character (PC), but playing such a character correctly is not easy. A character with low intelligence (Int 5-7) could also be called dull-witted or slow."

An interesting thing about the mechanics for low *charisma* score is that it strictly limits the number of henchmen you can have (which is the closest PnP equivalent to NPCs). People with charisma 3-4 can have one, 5-6 can have two, 7-8 can have three and so on. There are also mechanics for the loyalty of said henchmen.

I will quote the relevant passages for other ability scores if you like, but I'm typing this out from a physical copy so I'll only do it on request ;)
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @Communard So basically, the PnP rules are pretty close to what we get with a low INT in Arcanum/Fallout/ToEE etc.

The PnP rules for charisma could probably be implemented in BG without too much hassle, but the problem is the game was designed with a 6-player party in mind for the default difficulty (making low charisma characters less viable).

No need to quote the other ability scores m8, thanks for offering tho :)
    edited June 2012
    I admit this may be a controversial idea, I don't think any game ever did this, it's probably seen as descrimination but to me it's just common sense. So I would just ask your opinion.
    Just as different races have different bonus, to constitution, strength etc. I always considered that different sex should also have differences. So The idea is --something like this-- Female (-1 to Str) (-1 Con) (+1 Wis/Dex) (+ 2 Charisma). A female can still be as strong as a man but not as strong as the strongest which is a reality. I have this idea ever since I played d&d for the first time.
    Post edited by Razor on
    @Razor
    While you could "arguably" justify the penalties to STR and CON (personally I'd hate it if this were implemented), I don't see how the bonuses to WIS and CHA can be justified. A bonus to DEX would make more sense.

But again, I really hate it when games shoehorn females as casters and males as physical brutes.
    edited June 2012
    To quote Baldur's Gate:
    "Females of the Realms can excel in any area they wish, and are easily the equals of their male counterparts in every skill or respect."

I think that's how it should be. There's nothing saying that a woman cannot be as strong as a man, and besides even the small difference in humans (which tends to be overstated anyway) would not neccessarily carry over to other races. We already know that gender roles on Faerun aren't the same as Earth's medieval history. Who's to say that Dwarf women are on average any less strong than Dwarf men? D&D has moved on a lot from the sexism of first edition, and I really don't want to see it return in BG:EE.

Also, you might not want to let Shar-Teel know what you said, I have a feeling she'd have some words ;)
    edited June 2012
    The charisma is easily justified if you think about it, woman power of persuasion is quite big (no not just on men). Also females are naturally "prettier" (Any female of any race).
    I'am not talking about d&d rules. I'am speaking about NATURE and as mammals we follow certain rules.

Muscle Strength and Power (shapefit.com/exercise/men-vs-women-exercising)
    men vs women exercisingFemales, on average, have less total muscle mass than males. As a result, maximal strength measures as well as maximal power measures (power = force/time) are reduced. Gross measures of upper body strength suggest an average 40-50% difference between the sexes, compared to a 30% difference in lower body strength. So, what about power? Maud and Schultz compared 52 men and 50 women, all roughly 21 years old using a maximal power test on a bicycle ergometer. Their peak power was about 60% lower for the females when comparing absolute values. Although, the men were heavier.

@Communard I know that Quote quite well. but it just looks like the "don't want problems with feminists" solution. It's good only to avoid "discrimination" or sexism, etc. But realisticaly male and female have different attributes.

And you also miss my point. I never said that there can't be HUGE / Strong female fighters (like Shar-Teel). IT can and there are. There is NO sexism here only species observation.
    Post edited by Razor on
    Woman power of persuasion is quite big... on men.

You could say the same is true for the opposite situation.
    Females, on average, have less total muscle mass than males. As a result, maximal strength measures as well as maximal power measures (power = force/time) are reduced. Gross measures of upper body strength suggest an average 40-50% difference between the sexes, compared to a 30% difference in lower body strength. So, what about power? Maud and Schultz compared 52 men and 50 women, all roughly 21 years old using a maximal power test on a bicycle ergometer. Their peak power was about 60% lower for the females when comparing absolute values. Although, the men were heavier.
    That is if you are taking avarege person on account. And avarage men is working physicaly more often, than avarage women, thus making strength difference even bigger. But if we are consider the fact, that woman works/trains physicaly as hard, or even harder than men, the difference in strength isn't so great to have real effect in-game.

None would underestimate strength of women, have they ever sparred against them in karate dojo. I know what I'm saying - I still feel that kick on my head :).
    edited June 2012
    Look women can still have a Heroic strength even with the penalty... (there is no game breaking balance. It's only BASE values, you build from there as you level...) They just would have to work a little more on it, it's not so different from reality.
    I'am not trying to change d&d rules anyway, keep it as it is. But scientifically there is no way to deny it (it's called hormones).

What I really didnt want is "you say that because you're attracted to women" or talks about "sexism" I'am not discussing any of those subjects nor I want them associated with stats in a game. You're acting the typical shocked purists. But morrowind had those differences (it's no DRAMA!) and they are correct imo, maybe it isn't convenient but don't make it look like a stupid/sexist thing.
    Post edited by Razor on
    Women being "naturally prettier" is pretty silly, you just say that because you're attracted to women. Since roughly half the people you will interact with will be women and half men, I would say the charisma kind of evens out, wouldn't you?

As for the strength debate, you admit that a woman can be as strong as a man, so why not just let it be? Adding a -2 would essentially make it impossible to play a well-balanced female fighter, which is absurd given the huge number of female warriors we meet in the game. It's clear that on Faerun a female warrior is not viewed as strange (in fact the only place with institutionalised sexism in the game is probably Ust Natha).
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Well, AD&D stats are like this. A computer game is a bit different from a p&p session.
    I played NWN with a very low intelligence half-orc and found the change in dialogue incredibly funny, but to implement this in BG:EE, someone would have to take the pain of writing a complete alternate dialogue set. Certainly not as much work as a complete translation in some other language than English, but still quite some time to invest. But I'd like, if anyone was willing to do this.

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    3 Strength, you're barely able to move (crawl) from the front of Winthrop Inn (as clean as an elven arse, always) to Gorion without dying of exhaustion?
    Or at least a journey of several days of resting amirite?

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @Space_hamster

Yeah it would be great if BG3 had a fallout like system relating to interactions and intelligence.

@pacek

''I think if you put a 3 in intelligence, all the game's text should be gibberish. Should make for interesting playthrough! Likewise a 3 in Charisma absolutely no one - not even Imoen at game start - should want to talk to you.''

That would be awesome.
    "Today some guy said something. He had a big nose. Said something something ho there wandur, blah blah. Butterfly. Old man pink robes."
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
  • AliyaAliya Member Posts: 9
    Kinda reminds me of one playthrough, which was never finished - one guy tried to solo-runthrough BG1 with a weak fighter (3/3/3/3/3/3, yes he reduced his STR to 3 with gatekeeper) or one person, who made a character-mage with 3 constitution and was killed by Tamoko's (1 dmg) flame arrow right at the start.
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    edited June 2012
    So in short, we just need those stats to actually do something and this would become a non-issue.
    I think Planescape Torment fixed that in a good way. Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma were the best stats in that game, because of all the IMPORTANT additional dialogue options they gave (wisdom also gives increased xp gain). If they do something like this, then these stats will become a lot more popular.