Skip to content

Fist fighting mage?

I haven't played bg in 10 yeara and i finally want to replay the EE edition.

I want to role play a mage who will often just get so pissed off early in a fight he stops using spells and goes toe to toe with Dragons, ogres..... Whatever it is with bare fists.

Can that work? My biggest concern ia in bg2 ill run into enemies that require 0+2 or +3 weapon and can't remember if the mage has any magic that can make his fist + enough to fight aby enemy.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2014
    Non-monk characters who are fighting unarmed give enemies trying to hit them a -4 bonus to Thac0 and a +4 bonus to damage. In other words enemies will have a higher chance to hit you and will hit harder. That said if you are looking for improved fists with spells Lunar details them all in the next post (and those won't suffer the unarmed penalties).
    Post edited by elminster on
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    You can cast chill touch, ghoul touch and shocking grasp spells all day long. It is just your punches, with some very nasty magical effects added in. They count as magical weapons for what they can hit, too.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    It's true that Mages can't put up a good fist fight even against an elderly Tasloi without using spells. Although there is still a way to play a similar character with the Tome and Blood: More Options for Wizards and Sorcerers mod installed. Simply put it changes the Dragon Disciple, amongst other things, in becoming quite deadly even when unarmed. Well, they won't become as atrong as monks in that regard. But at least their draconic claws count as +1 magical weapons at 5th level and on top of that their unarmed attacks receive damage bonuses all the way up to 2d6 slashing+d6 fire damage at level 15.
  • SionaSiona Member Posts: 79
    Iirc, non-monks who fist fight will knock out an enemy, but can't kill them. Like fighting trolls without fire.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2014
    Siona said:

Iirc, non-monks who fist fight will knock out an enemy, but can't kill them. Like fighting trolls without fire.

Yeah non-monk fists do 'stunning' damage type which never kills but leaves uncouncious at 1hp. they will be at one hp and uncouncious for a while. A single magic missile can do them in though.

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I only wish someone could make a sacred fist cleric mod. Would be awesome to have a cleric with fist and AC progression like a monk, but no other monk benefits, since you can just cast cleric spells. If I knew anything about IE modding, I'd consider doing it myself :(
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    @igyb If you like that sort of wizard, check out the Dresden Files series.

"My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book."
    — Harry Dresden

A horror/fantasy/mystery series of novels, fifteen and counting plus associated short stories and comic miniseries and the like, by Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden is a wizard and private detective operating out of modern day Chicago, and reluctantly hired by a special police task force as a consultant on supernatural crimes. The Genre Savvy protagonist cracks jokes about the Urban Fantasy-Dungeon Punk setting and the tropes it uses. Adapted into a drama series on the Sci Fi Channel. There's also a tabletop RPG, which is much more faithful to the books, as it's written from the characters' perspective.

Harry often takes advantage of others' expectations that a wizard will fight with magic to get in a good sucker punch, bash something with his staff, or pull a gun.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Could the hidden monk fist weapon not be transferred to a mage with EEKeeper or something?