Skip to content

I needs opinions.

ALazyWhiteGuyALazyWhiteGuy Member Posts: 2
edited December 2014 in New Members Welcome Area
Hi everybody,

I am a semi recent D&D player and first timer when I comes to the Baldur's Gate series. I just got BG:EE for iOS and decided to go for a Chaotic Neutral Fighter with the Beserker kit (I took Guts from Berserk as an inspiration). I mainly want an opinion on a roll I got for attributes.

Str- 18/78
Con - 18
Dex- 18
Wis - 18

The rest are 10's on a total roll of 92.

I was curious if getting a 00 on strength was worth giving up this roll? Also any advice for starting would be appreciated.

Edit* forgot to mention I'll try to dual into a cleric later on, hence the 18 wis.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Looks good. If you want your cleric to be able to use wands/scrolls you'll want them to have 9 intelligence. But otherwise what you have is good.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    wubble said:

18/78 is a great strength roll, the time you'll spend getting 18/00 AND a roll over 90 is not worth the effort for such a small improvement.

Agreed.

Especially since:
    you'll get a chance to improve it to 19 later in the game

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    JLee said:

wubble said:

18/78 is a great strength roll, the time you'll spend getting 18/00 AND a roll over 90 is not worth the effort for such a small improvement.

Agreed.

Especially since:
    you'll get a chance to improve it to 19 later in the game

The same goes for many stats if you get worried they're a bit low (which they aren't)
  • ALazyWhiteGuyALazyWhiteGuy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice everybody. I guess the last thing would be whether to go 2 handed or 2 weapon style. I feel 2 handed would be better for a fighter, but that's just speculation.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Keep in mind that you will be limited to the weapons usable by clerics. That means there is only one 2H option: quarterstaff. There are good maces and warhammers in BGEE, so I'd opt for the 2WS between the two paths.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    the best 2 handed weapon in the series is paladin only, but there are still many good 2 handed weapons. i find that to be the most reliable for getting a high thaco weapon. however, dual wield is a really good choice. as a fighter you can get plenty of attacks per round and there are 2 weapons in BG2 that add an attack. they are useful as side arms to a really good one handed weapon to add an extra attack to the main weapon. put an improved haste on top of all that and your fighter will be dealing some serious damage.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    edited December 2014
    Guts is great and your build is good!
    Myself played first time with dual wielding half-orc berserker, it was enjoyable.

the best 2 handed weapon in the series is paladin only

Well this point is debatable.
    Post edited by kensai on
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    edited December 2014
    If Guts is being used as a point of inspiration, I'd down Wisdom to 12 and bump Charisma. Guts may be hell bent on revenge and quite ruthless, but he's extremely charismatic. People loved serving under him as a mercenary raid leader, and later on following him on his quest for revenge; and at least 2 women fell in love with him.

And 18/78 is pretty damn good for strength. Guts would probably more accurately be a pure 18/00 (he can lift a sword that took 10 men to lift with one hand), but the chances of that without using Ctrl + 8 are gonna be slim :p
  • 314314 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2014
    u need 18/91 str or more. SWORDS, NOT WORDS. REROLL IT!!!
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    18(00) is definitely worth holding out for. The difference between 00 & 78 is +1 to hit and +2 damage. Basically another weapon specialization grant. If it's purely a role play run probably doesn't matter.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    edited December 2014
    Blades said:

18(00) is definitely worth holding out for. The difference between 00 & 78 is +1 to hit and +2 damage. Basically another weapon specialization grant. If it's purely a role play run probably doesn't matter.

Really? No way. Plenty of belts, tomes, crazy machines, negotiations and bhaalspawn powers to bump your strength.

If you want to play ToB I'd advise against a dual berserker/cleric as you exclude yourself from speed weapons and whirlwind attack so you'll be capped at 7 or 8 attacks per round while others will have 10 attacks per round.