Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Best weapon for dual-classed fighter

One of my characters is a berserker who I intend to dual-class to thief or cleric.

There are already several shield users and longsword users in the party, so I was wondering about the other less common weapons. If I were to go with thief, I was thinking of scimitar or katana, with dual-weapon style. With cleric, I was thinking two-handed sword or axes and either two-handed style or dual. Are there any good scimitars or katanas? Are there any two-handed axes?

So, I have two questions:

What is the best weapon for a dualed fighter/thief?

What is the best weapon for a dualed fighter/cleric?

Comments

  • AudacesAudaces Member Posts: 56
    Clerics can't use bladed weapons, so swords and axes are out. Flails/Morningstars are your best bet for a cleric. For the thief I'd suggest katana (but spare two points for the scimitar to hold it off-hand - there's a scimitar that adds +1 attack towards the end of the game).

    jackjack
  • harperfan7harperfan7 Member Posts: 30
    Are you sure that's the case with dual-classed characters? I know it is with multi-classed ones.

  • AudacesAudaces Member Posts: 56
    Exactly the same restrictions apply to duals as to multiclasses.

    FinneousPJjackjackBlackravenRAM021
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The only exception I can think of is Fighter/Druid, wherein the dual-class variant is barred from heavy armor just as with single class Druids, but F/D Multis may wear plate mail, etc.
    Not actually weapon related, but pretty significant IMO, Ankheg Plate notwithstanding. Or was this altered in the last patch?

    JLeeBlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • harperfan7harperfan7 Member Posts: 30
    Well, I'm boned.

    Just found out you can't add new party members after starting the game.

  • ameliabogginsameliaboggins Member Posts: 287
    mino lords axe is the most powerful one hander(imo), not sure where it drops tho; some part how i guess.

    offhand is very much personal taste i think. The katana mentioned above is a strong choice.

  • ProteusProteus Member Posts: 40
    edited December 2014
    For your Fighter/Thief, Longsword is still your best bet because Katanas and Scimitars in this game are far inferior. The Longsword that adds an additional attack is +4 in addition to other defensive bonuses, vs the Scimitar which is only a generic +2. There is only one Katana in the game worth mentioning and it's ok at best.

    Fighter/Thief:
    Main Hand: Singing Blade of Aihonen, Long Sword of Action +4, Flaming Long Sword +2 (good for Trolls and Undead)
    Off Hand: Long Sword of Action +4


    For the Fighter/Cleric go Morningstar/Flail first, and Mace if you have leftover points.

    Fighter/Cleric:
    Main Hand: Morningstar +4: Defender, Fire Flail +3, Three White Doves +3
    Off Hand: Fast Flail +2

    JuliusBorisov
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058
    Proteus said:

    For your Fighter/Thief, Longsword is still your best bet because Katanas and Scimitars in this game are far inferior. The Longsword that adds an additional attack is +4 in addition to other defensive bonuses, vs the Scimitar which is only a generic +2. There is only one Katana in the game worth mentioning and it's ok at best.

    Fighter/Thief:

    Main Hand: Singing Blade of Aihonen, Long Sword of Action +4, Flaming Long Sword +2 (good for Trolls and Undead)
    Off Hand: Long Sword of Action +4


    For the Fighter/Cleric go Morningstar/Flail first, and Mace if you have leftover points.

    Fighter/Cleric:
    Main Hand: Morningstar +4: Defender, Fire Flail +3, Three White Doves +3
    Off Hand: Fast Flail +2
    The +3 Katana is quite strong and has nice perks so it's definitely a reasonable choice.

    Morningstar of Sparks +4 is the best blunt mainhand IMO.

    Axe of the Minotaur Lord is amazing yes and is in ToL dropped from, you guessed it, a Minotaur Lord. This isn't an option for clerics and you can't backstab with it so leave it for another character.

    JuliusBorisov
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,198
    edited December 2014
    Wowo said:

    Morningstar of Sparks +4 is the best blunt mainhand IMO.

    Where's that from? I checked my game files and I don't seem to have it.

    The most damaging blunt weapon I could find is Fire Flail+3, which is also one of the most damaging weapons overall (second only to Pale Justice which is Paladin only, and Bhaal's Fire which iirc doesn't actually drop).

    legotaksin
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    jackjack said:

    The only exception I can think of is Fighter/Druid, wherein the dual-class variant is barred from heavy armor just as with single class Druids, but F/D Multis may wear plate mail, etc.

    That's not true, a dual-classed Fighter/Druid can wear heavy armor just like a multi, the only restriction is with their weapons. They can only use what a Druid can.

    jackjackBlackravenMusigny
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058

    Wowo said:

    Morningstar of Sparks +4 is the best blunt mainhand IMO.

    Where's that from? I checked my game files and I don't seem to have it.

    The most damaging blunt weapon I could find is Fire Flail+3, which is also one of the most damaging weapons overall (second only to Pale Justice which is Paladin only, and Bhaal's Fire which iirc doesn't actually drop).
    It drops in the crypt in ToL. It does slightly less damage than fire flail (+1 enhancement but 2d3 electric instead of 2d6 fire) but it has a 10% stun proc making it clearly superior in my opinion.

    I may be mistaken on the name.

    Musigny
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Belanos said:

    jackjack said:

    The only exception I can think of is Fighter/Druid, wherein the dual-class variant is barred from heavy armor just as with single class Druids, but F/D Multis may wear plate mail, etc.

    That's not true, a dual-classed Fighter/Druid can wear heavy armor just like a multi, the only restriction is with their weapons. They can only use what a Druid can.

    Can they only wear full armour once they regain their fighter abilities? Making you both sort of right.

  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,615
    @harperfan7 , if you're on the PC, there's a workaround. Make a copy of your save game, and put it in the multiplayer save game folder. (Either make a save folder in the multiplayer folder, or create any multiplayer game and save it to get the program to create one.)

    Open your new, copied save game as a multiplayer game, add the characters you want to create to the character arbitration screen, and open that game in multiplayer mode. Save that, close the game, and copy-paste the newest save back into your single-player save folder.

    When you reopen your new single-player game file, you'll have your new character adds there ready to resume play.

    MusignyFinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    pixie359 said:


    Can they only wear full armour once they regain their fighter abilities? Making you both sort of right.

    Yes. They're restricted to no more than Studded Leather while they're acquiring their Druid levels, but once they get their Fighter levels back they can use anything. I was playing a dual Fighter/Druid a short while ago and that's how it worked. My Fighter/Druid eventually had Plate Mail and a Large Shield. Technically they're not a Fighter/Druid until after they've achieved one level of Druid beyond Fighter. During the time it takes to get to that point they're only a pure class Druid.

    jackjack
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Belanos said:

    pixie359 said:


    Can they only wear full armour once they regain their fighter abilities? Making you both sort of right.

    Yes. They're restricted to no more than Studded Leather while they're acquiring their Druid levels, but once they get their Fighter levels back they can use anything. I was playing a dual Fighter/Druid a short while ago and that's how it worked. My Fighter/Druid eventually had Plate Mail and a Large Shield. Technically they're not a Fighter/Druid until after they've achieved one level of Druid beyond Fighter. During the time it takes to get to that point they're only a pure class Druid.

    Hide armor as we'll...

  • Aren't there several war hammers that give extra priest spells when they're equipped? That sounds like a decent weapon class for a Fighter/Cleric to focus on.

    jackjack
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Sanctimonial (sp?) Warhammers are a solid choice, and morningstars for the sake of the Defender is a real nice option as well (or the morning star of action +4 if you can mod it back into your game). Clubs aren't a bad choice (though not a great one since magic clubs are rare). Basically out of all the blunt weapon options I'd go Morning Stars since those are common. Warhammers are second-best, IMO.

  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,198
    I believe Morning Stars and Flails are among the best weapons, and conveniently enough they even share a proficiency category. Hammers are alright, as are clubs, but from what I remember they are pretty much just straight worse than MS/F.

    jackjack
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,058

    I believe Morning Stars and Flails are among the best weapons, and conveniently enough they even share a proficiency category. Hammers are alright, as are clubs, but from what I remember they are pretty much just straight worse than MS/F.

    I'd say Flail/MS > Mace > Hammer > Club though the best weapons come in the expansions so for a long time Hammer is quite good if you stick to the main campaign.

    Really though, Hammer Flail+Fast Flail from Dragons Eye is a sick combo and available very early.

Sign In or Register to comment.