Skip to content

Anyone play yet with Nightmare Mode on?

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
Just curious. Personally I'm too much of a coward, the name terrifies me :)

(Plus it would only really work for soloing since all joinable NPC's would get bonuses).

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Explain
    Well I'll be sure to try when it goes official.
    jackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    So far I only used the latest version of BG2:EE for debugging (both mod and vanilla bugs).
    elminsterjackjackBlackraven
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    Interesting. But it seems to be an untested option, added just for jiggling. I mean, that option was available only for Icewind dale. Seeing it in BG2, seems kinda a hazard.
    I just started with a custom party of 6.
    BlackravenjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36
    Holly ******I just imported my solo Sorceress to BG2. So, basically everything get's bigger, does more damage and gives more XP? If so, i might give it a go.
    Blackraven
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited January 2015
    Couldn't you use EE Keeper to change the NPC hitpoints back to normal levels? It would require that you edit your save every time a new NPC joins the party but other than that it would probably work. I have not tested it yet but I may mess around with it in the future. Then again I may just wait for it to be fully implemented if that is what beamdog intends to do, I may just wait for it.
    jackjack
  • DemaniusDemanius Member Posts: 51
    wow I might try this mode if it is implemented soon. will be a cracker of a time :smiley:
  • DemaniusDemanius Member Posts: 51
    Although i will prob have nightmares trying to finish it lol will be hard lol
    jackjackelminster
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I really really really would like to play this.

Unfortunately, the entire pantheon of gods conspired to drop this gem into my lap the time of year I absolutely cannot make time to play :(

Soon! Soon....
    elminsterjackjackFinneousPJ
    edited January 2015
    Also, some scripts need to be revised for the nightmare mode. Just a few things i noticed : if a NPC is going to die by a script (Hendak and the Dude that enslaved him) you'll have to watch them battle it out a bit longer due to them having more HP; the most annoying thing i found in this vein was the pit fights in the drow city, where at first you'll have to watch the one dro fighter slaughter the 4 other guys - dear lord did it take a long time! ) XD Also, some of the scripted events kinda 'break' (Hectan doesn't explode when he tries to port out of Saradush and such) But else, it's a helluva a fun time =) Love the addition!
    Post edited by domeplsffs on
    FinneousPJelminster
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Sounds like a nightmare if combined with scsII et al.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Wowo I'm playing it with scs and it's pretty awesome
    jackjackRAM021JuliusBorisov

@Wowo I'm playing it with scs and it's pretty awesome

Any insights so far, and which party-setup are you using if you don't mind elaborating ? I thought about maybe going for a new game+ after finishing TOB but i'm kinda scared of going through nightmare fresh of the start, without importing my char from BG:EE (so he has more XP then he would if you just start in SoA)

• KaydubbedKaydubbed Member Posts: 7
    Quick question.

When I turn nightmare mode '1', or 'on', will my slider become larger to accommodate the extra mode, or will the nightmare mode bypass my difficulty slider and be on? Example, it is on 'hard' but it is actually 'nightmare'
    @domeplsffs‌ I'm using a full custom party

Inquisitor
    Ber->Clc
    Ken->Mage
    Assassin->Ftr
    FMT
    Sorcerer

It's fun, but it's no New Game+, you'll be way, way, WAY too powerful if you start again after ToB. Fresh start on nightmare was surprisingly easy, if you know your way around the early game quests. Of course, I'm using a full custom party and no in-game NPCs, which will affect the balance.

@Kaydubbed‌ Setting nightmare mode will overwrite difficulty slider. I did have a problem where the mode reset itself once. Don't know why, I just noticed enemies dying a lot faster.
    Kaydubbed
    @FinneousPJ‌ Ah, thanks. But you powergamed you party hard it seems. =D Ah well i guess you'l have to do something like that to beat it. Any case, thanks for sharing, i'll try a run without an imported Charname to see if you're lying about it being surprisingly easy xD (i found that besides the added HP they're not different at all, you know, ignoring the fact that they seem to have higher HD - nothing dies to a Deathspell, not even Goblins T_T )
    FinneousPJ
    @domeplsffs‌ Oh yeah I did have a lot of trouble with the umber hulks at deArnise, which I'm used to insta-killing...
    jackjack
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157

@domeplsffs‌ Oh yeah I did have a lot of trouble with the umber hulks at deArnise, which I'm used to insta-killing...

Doesn't the Death Spell kill them?
    edited January 2015
    @JonelethIrenicus‌ Not with Nightmare Mode on D: The buggers get more HD - as i said, not even frigging Goblins die to Deathspell XD

And yeah @FinneousPJ‌, same here. Had to cheese them hard with immunity to poison and some Cloudkillsticks

@JonelethIrenicus‌ Not with Nightmare Mode on D: The buggers get more HD - as i said, not even frigging Goblins die to Deathspell XD

And here I thought that the Death Spell didn't do anything specific amount of damage, just killed them straight up
    jackjack
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

And here I thought that the Death Spell didn't do anything specific amount of damage, just killed them straight up
    It kills based on hit dice. Creatures get extra hit dice when nightmare mode is active.
    JonelethIrenicusFinneousPJjackjack
    elminster said:

It kills based on hit dice. Creatures get extra hit dice when nightmare mode is active.
    Sounds logical. You learn something new every day
    jackjack
    @domeplsffs‌ So you started a game as well? What party?
    jackjack
    edited January 2015
    @FinneousPJ‌ I just switched Nightmare on whilest doing my first sorc solo through both the EE's. Plain old op sorc (because screw you, XP-cap =P ) I have to admit, the fact that the additional HD rendered one of my spell choices moot was rather devastating. Though, i'm in Saradush and everything still dies... after a looooot of time. I basically have to pump out all spells for the meduim/big encounters where without Nightmare you'd just be gating in you Planetar buddy to clear everything. I feel Nightmare basically balances out the late game a bit, by making spells less important. (any spell checking for HD or HP is rather worthless) And thus empowering the fighter classes, or rather making them more usefull. How did your party fare so far? How far are you into SoA?

Edit : I was half way through Chap 2 when i switched it on, having done the 'easy' quests including Trademeet, but none other of the outter Areas)
    jackjackFinneousPJ
    @domeplsffs‌ I see. Spells are still very important for crowd control and dealing with enemy casters, but you're right, damage spells suck just like in IWD HoF. Solo sorc isn't what I'd recommend for a nightmare run ;)

My party's been doing great. I only did de Arnise and Trademeet before moving on to chapter 3. I don't want to reach epic levels too soon, as I've learned it makes the game boring. All my dual classes are done except the assassin 9 -> fighter. Fighter 10 requires more XP than Mage 10, whassupwiddat?
    domeplsffs
    edited January 2015
    @FinneousPJ‌ Yeah you're right with that. I just wanted to try it out when i read that it was available. But it sure is fun. Dunno 'bout IWD, never really got into the first one. And only played through IWD 2 once, because i love the fact that they're using the DnD Ruleset which i used to play PnP with. *sigh if they would port that to BG that would be amazing. *_* Oh, and on the more XP thing : youshalldealwithit.jpg - No seriously, got no clue whaddup with dem progression charts
    FinneousPJRAM021