Skip to content

Help - Restoring the Cloak of Algernon

Dear fellow players,

I am an old timer, fan of D&D, and lover of Baldur's Gate from the moment it was released. I would like a bit of help, if possible, from players with a bit of experience regarding computers and files, etc.

The topic regards the Cloak of Algernon. I understand it has been ''fixed''. This fix can be argued one way or another, but that isn't my goal here. My goal is to restore the cloak to its former "cheesy" self. Could anyone please help me?

Keep in mind I have no skill with using programs, and I don't have access to old CDs of the game. I would appreciate it deeply if someone could give me a step-by-step method to restore the cloak to the way it was before.

Though some may regard this as cheating, please understand I have no intention to say it is proper or otherwise. I just want to enjoy the game, and I remember back in the day, the cloak made me so happy, and I was happy playing the game. Would you please help me feel that way again? Thank you very much :)

-A fellow Baldur's Gate Enthusiast

Comments

• SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    As quite the noob here myself... What is the difference to the old one, and the new?
  • TabaquaveTabaquave Member Posts: 3
    Tresset said:

Simply extract this file into your "override" folder in your BG:EE directory. If there is not already an override folder you will have to create a new folder and name it "override" and then extract the file into that folder.

Dear Tresset,

Thank you so much for your kind help. I am yet to try this method but I deeply appreciate you taking the time to let me know how to do this. I shall try it tonight and give you an update. Again, thank you so much and let's keep our fingers crossed.

Yours truly

A "once again hopeful" Baldur's Gate enthusiast
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Spungi said:

As quite the noob here myself... What is the difference to the old one, and the new?

@Spungi‌ The old one had a charm effect with unlimited uses per day. The new one's charm effect has been reduced to one use per day.
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Ah :) I see ... Never used charm much myself, haven't really found anywhere I felt I needed it (Again, I'm a nub ...) Maybe I missed something? :P
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Spungi said:

Ah :) I see ... Never used charm much myself, haven't really found anywhere I felt I needed it (Again, I'm a nub ...) Maybe I missed something? :P

Well the ability of Algernon's cloak is more useful than the standard Charm Person spell, as the spell allows the target to make a saving throw at +3, whereas the cloak allows a saving throw at -1.
  • domeplsffsdomeplsffs Member Posts: 36
    As far as i recall, you can also use it to charm anything in the game, which shouldn't apply to the wizard spell iirc. Btw, anyone knows why they 'fixed' it? (obviously less cheddar i assume, but really? )