Skip to content

Does anyone know a western tactical rpg (Like IWDale1) for NDS with the story mode option?

DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
It really makes the game so awersome. It allows me to learn how to play without feeling like a smuck. I am probably hoping the tactical rpg is for nintendo ds because there's supposedly lots of rpgs there.

Ive heard of levaitain tactics, dawn of heroes, and thats it.

Anyone help a bro out.

Comments

• harperfan7harperfan7 Member Posts: 30
    western as in cowboys? there's desperados
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desperados:_Wanted_Dead_or_Alive

but ive never played it
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    I think he means western as opposed to eastern like Jade Empire for example.
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Western Tactical Rpg means Pool of Radiance rather than Western as in cowboys. Eastern is like Final Fantasy and Western is baldurs gate. I dont mind if the game is eastern so long as I get to choose quite a bit of features.

So are there no tactical rpgs worth playing? I wouldnt care if they were on pc but I just heard that they were all on ds.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Some good Tactical RPG on the PC:

Fallout 1, 2, Tactics (MUCH different from the more current 3D iterations)
    Temple of Elemental Evil (but get the Co8 patch that fixes most of the issues)
    Arcanum
    Planescape Torment

I also hear good things about the Divinity series though I haven't played them myself.

If you want something more Tactical but less RPG, try out Xcom (the originals, not the most recent remakes). Excellent Squad based tactical turn based combat. There are a bunch of pretenders including Xenonauts (which is pretty darn good) but none as good as the original.

If you want to go WAY back, the original Pool of Radiance (gold box) games were top notch for the day and are apparently available as freeware (or at least extremely cheap ware).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The best strategy game I've played on the 3DS is their installment of the Fire Emblem series. Though I truly wish they would create a new Tactics Ogre game for it.
    But even those are JRPGs.
  • The_VityazThe_Vityaz Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2015
    Western tactical RPG games on... Nintendo DS? I don't think I have ever seen or heard about anything like that for NDS.

Jagged Alliance perhaps (a modern day turn based tactical RPG strategy)
    Post edited by The_Vityaz on
    Well Technically IWdale 1 is not really a tactical rpg. None of the infinity engine games are. I would consider them roleplaying games with some tactics thrown in. SRPG for me would be like Gorky 17. You get circumstances that brutally suck and you have to get through them.

With icewind dale 1, its more like unbalanced strategy for last boss. He's impossible on easy and still takes a while on story mode.

I made the baddest dwarven defender ever and he cant even hit main boss behlifhet on easy. He can get him on story.

I really wouldnt consider that strategy tac. rpg.

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    I doubt you can find Western style Tactical RPGs on NDS... I played lots of titles on that console back in the time but I've never seen Western TRPGs, just Eastern ones.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I want to say that they turned one of the early D&D games into a gameboy game. It wasn't all that good, but it was turn based and an RPG. Maybe that would count?
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I want to say that they turned one of the early D&D games into a gameboy game. It wasn't all that good, but it was turn based and an RPG. Maybe that would count?

Eye of the Beholder?

*shudders*
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Skip it and play the PC version on Dosbox!