Skip to content

Game way too easy? (insane, but non-heart-of-fury)

BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
so i have started my first IWD:EE playthrough ... latest patch, almost no mods (npc portraits, some selected bgTweaks).
i am an experienced infinity engine player, and usually play with SCSI in baldurs gate games.

for icewind dale, i started playing on highest difficulty by slider, but not (yet) heart of fury mode. my characters started level 1, and they may be slightly on the power gamers side stats-wise but not "too much". it's a dwarven defender, ghost hunter, priest of tempus, fighter/thief, avenger druid and illusionist.

I now played to the beginning of kresselaks tomb (his main crypt, beginning of it), and my characters are all evel 4-5 now, kicking undead butts like hell ... well it's so easy defacto don't ever have to reload, i don't need buffs or any special tactics ... just rush in, hit and wait ... that takes the challenge out of the game to a level i don't enjoy playing, and i have the impression it's getting "worse" the further i advance ...

so am i doing somthing "wrong"? am i leveling up too fast (and why)? should i play heart of fury with my low-level chars (i do like a challenge but don't like "prove of concept" gaming)? should i switch back to baldurs gate games and wait until something like SCSI comes out for IWD:EE?

thanks for your advise
Beleg Cuthalion

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I've found two challenging runs so far:
    1. Insane difficulty, single classes characters, no adjusting stat rolls, no reload, random HP rolls, no OP kits (Avenger, Sorcerer, Archer, Dwarven Defender are definite no-nos).

I wanted to do this run on core but some of the more interesting spawns only occur on insane difficulty. My preference would be to have insane spawns with core xp and damage.

2. Duo HoF. FMC+FMT. This is a fun team, like, really fun. Not too much micro with only 2 characters but so many different options and strategies available to overcome encounters. I'm just getting them into their power band now so hopefully it won't become too easy.

I've also started 6 character HoF (5 duals+skald), solo sorcerer on insane, duo Swash/Mage+avenger, 4 character core later changed to insane (blackguard, blade, avenger, assassin/Mage). None were particularly challenging.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    Hopefully a mod will come out with insane level spawns and no extra xp.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    edited December 2014
    Uhm... If you just run in and let your characters attack without using buffs etc. there is something wrong. Monsters on 'Insane' spawn in huge numbers and do crazy damage so that approach in particular does *not* work. There are many ways to make a lot of fights very easy even on 'Insane' difficulty, but attacking and waiting is definitely not one of them.

Especially early on in the orc cave near Easthaven there are 4 ogre berserkers which can easily one-hit even tougher characters. Not to mention they are surrounded by like 20 orcs. There is no way you beat those by just rushing in and attacking without half your party dead at the end of the fight. You just can't reach the necessary AC/HP values at this point.

The Trolls and hordes of Undead in Dragon's Eye are definitely not "click attack and wait"-material either.

Might want to check your difficulty slider again or turn off god-mode...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the game is actually difficult to beat on 'Insane' but what you're claiming is mathematically very unlikely to say the least. Unless you rest until fully healed or something after every fight.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    okay, thanks for the feedback ...

@wowo:
    those variants sound intersting, but go into the "proof of concept" direction for me (number 1) or don't "fit" my premise that i just like 6-members-partys far the most (number 2). i know i'm stripping my options with that, but i think the game should be enjoyable the way it was initially designed.

@MrGoodkat:
    yes, that orc cave was the last challenge i had, and those ogre were not too easy ... but the farm and now vale of shadows so far was walking to the opponents, hit hit hit (i am micro directing the party, but basically it's just using melee weapons and slings), kill everything, get much XP and almost after each fight a level up for at least one character ... those yetis, ghosts (spectres? i'm playing in german) and diverse undeads in the minor tombs just were no challenge at all, and now having entered Kresselack's tomb (first level) things just went on like that and my impression is that my party is getting way ahead in level compared to the opponents.

i just checked, slider definitely is at insane setting ... i *am* getting damage from my opponents, and i rest once in the vale to regenerate, but it's not an instant death anymore when a monster rolls a 20 (except for my avenger and illusionist, but they are out of direct battle usually).
    i just remember that those ghosts were not oh-so-easy in non-EE years ago, my long term memory invoked a "oh no, not the vale of shadows with it's ghosts", so they must have been harder then.

i'll play on to dragon eye to see if those trolls are more of an opponent ... but if it goes on like that i think i'll have to wait for some mod that reduces XP or slides up difficulty someway else.
  • MrGoodkatMrGoodkat Member Posts: 167
    edited December 2014
    @BelegCuthalion: Iirc correctly Kresselack's Tomb is one of the easier parts, especially since you got an Undead Hunter, pure class Cleric with high level turning, etc. As I said Dragon's Eye should prove to be more of a challenge, or at least require you to use tactics and buffs/spells instead of just A-Click.

After that you can enter the HoW area. From there you can go directly to ToLM which is about as challenging as it gets for a "low" level party. The only problem is that once you've done ToLM and HoW the rest of the game is going to be a cakewalk, except for the final boss maybe. You can always turn on HoF mode if you get bored though.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    @BelegCuthalion‌ so look at how "the game was meant to be played" ( there's even a thread) and do a sort of no-reload, no-min-maxing, no-OP-kits run? It's plenty challenging when every character doesn't have 18 str/dex/con.
  • kensaikensai Member Posts: 228
    @BelegCuthalion‌ yep, I agree with you in making game more difficult. I'll try to look into game files to disable exp bonus - major cause od decreasing difficulty on insane and disable it. And now I have one idea - to create potions with -50% exp perma effect. They would be intoduced and added in my mod I'm currently working.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/38121/mod-starlight-new-weapons-and-spells-for-iwd-ee-wip
  • harperfan7harperfan7 Member Posts: 30
    I had the same "problem" as OP, ...until I got to Dragon's Eye, then I found myself reloading up to 10 times for some fights. It gets hard real quick.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Dragon's eye it's the only place where you'll have hard times, after that it's going to be a piece of cake.
  • Yann1989Yann1989 Member Posts: 92
    Guys I don't understand you AT ALL. This game is very difficult, I find it more difficult than Baldur's Gate. Understand me well: when I say it is very difficult, I don't mean battles are not doable, I'm saying it will happen very often that one of your characters dies. And I hate reloading... I'm playing normal difficulty for the challenge but I'm gonna play it in an easier mode for my evil party because dying & reloading removes the role-playing side of the game and turns it into a stupid die & retry. Not so fun.

If you already know the game by heart and/or if you are in love with reloading or resting after every fight, it's you.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    No, it really depends on your party. With an optimised party with min/maxed stats the game is very easy. With random stats and no sorcerers, archers, dwarven defenders or duel classed characters, it's quite difficult.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The difficulty of the game depends only on how well you understand the combat system. The fights are all pretty straightforward, all you need to do is deal lots of damage and not take too much yourself. There are tons of mechanics that make this almost trivial for people who know what they are doing, resulting in a very easy and fairly monotonous experience even on maximum difficulty.

I think that maybe a lot of the perceived challenge comes from the fact that IWD is different from BG2. It is noticeably more focused on combat, which is longer, more intense, and involves substantially more mobs. In BG2 you can often just muddle through somehow because things die quickly and you rarely face more than 3-4 mobs at a time, but if you don't have a plan in IWD and step into a room full of 20 undead running for your face you'll have a hard time.

Ultimately of course there's also the fact that BG2 has SCS, which is a *HUGE* part of the difficulty (the unmodded game can be beaten naked, and has). I sincerely hope that we will get a SCS equivalent for IWD soon, and then things will look very different.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    so now with 1.4 we have a "no experience bonus based on difficulty" setting ...
    Yay for the moment!
    Extra-Yays when something like SWS (Spine of the World Stratagems) manifests :)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

Extra-Yays when something like SWS (Spine of the World Stratagems) manifests :)

That name is good, but it's definitely worse than Ten Town Tactics. Just saying! :P
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I was about to create a topic about how easy the final boss is, its been a long time i haven't played iwd so there was plenty of fights i did forget, i was surprised how i rolled over dorn's deep with my kensai, thief/mage and shapeshifter, i didn't remember it to be so easy. I think my party was decent but it is far from powergaming. The dragon went down too easily imo, did not even need to debuff him, arrow of goblin , summoning and kensai was able to get rid of him pretty quicly.
  • IchthyicIchthyic Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015
    actually, this game is exactly balanced for someone without prior experience in playing these kinds of games.

as the OP noted... they are a veteran of infinity engine games. once you understand the game mechanics, you know exactly what you need to do for almost any battle. the only battles that are a challenge then are ones that throw curve balls at you, like the fight with the final boss in dragon's eye, where your first time through it, you're surprised by a handful of heavy mages that spawn behind you.

but after that... oddly the difficulty mostly scales down. orogs? ettins? these things aren't as tough as a mummy from Kresselack's tomb!

but then, that's likely why they added the HoW expansion, which ramps up the difficulty again.

so, bottom line then... no, this game is not too easy. the entire IWD series, both 1 and 2, are very well balanced tactical DnD games, and I've played every infinity engine game ever made at least three times.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.