Skip to content

Images of females in armour designed for protection, not seduction!

Comments

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited January 2015

More December Updates

Arman Akopian aka guyjin - Website https://www.facebook.com/Arman.Akopian

________________________________________________________________________________

Victor A. Minguez – Website http://victoradameart.com/

_______________________________________________________________________________

Ina Murwani Prasetyaningrum - Website http://inawong.deviantart.com/

_______________________________________________________________________________

Arnaud Valette - Website http://www.arnaudvalette.com/

That's definitely enough for today. I'll continue the flood tomorrow :)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    image by ReneAigner
    image by TARGETE
    image by Spellsword95
    image by MarkWinters
    image by HELMUTTT
    image by ChrisRa
    image by kir-tat
    image by RusselTGomez
    image by JimmyZhang
    image by MatesLaurentiu
    image by Zacharka
    image by wraithdt
    image by OmeN2501
    image by tracyjb

Sorry if I have sent some of these before, but I hope the others make up for it!
    More catching up ....

Art by Stefano Baldo

edited January 2015

Art by Jennifer Drummond

Illustration as seen in The World Of Ice & Fire
    No current link to an online gallery available

edited January 2015
    LadyRhian said:

Sorry if I have sent some of these before, but I hope the others make up for it!

There are even a couple we've both posted before ... but I won't say which ones, and the others definitely do make up for it. Isn't it excellent to see more Legend of the Cryptids images coming out which show halfway decent armor, and no bewbage in ssight!

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'm calling 'foul' on the 'More believable' comment in the title. Most of this armor is in no way Believable. Beautiful and incredible, but hardly Believable. I'd go with 'Less revealing' in most cases. Just sayin...
    @the_spyder I've made several posts explaining in more detail the philosophy behind this thread, and the criteria I use to choose images, but they do tend to get buried in the deluge of images.

The focus of the thread has shifted a little since I started it - but the central premise is to avoid images that over sexualise female warriors and/or infantilise and disempower them. Their armor should be about protection rather than seduction, it should protect rather than reveal and it should be actual armor rather than frilly, dolly clothes or little girl outfits. And most definitely it should NOT be metal or leather lingerie, even if it’s worn over some nice bit of lace or cloth that covers the skin.

What I am trying to do is to champion art where pretty much the same rules apply to female armor as to male. I post images which show females in armor that is basically about protection rather than seduction, but still allows for the weird and wonderful excesses that typify various styles and genres of art but only if they apply to both male and female.

I decided to allow things like heels on boots, spiky bits, boob plates, huge shoulder pads etc as these are all things seen in images of male warriors (and yes men to get painted with man-boob plates or even worse ship keels on their chests!)

I can’t think of a short phrase that sums this up, so I’ve left “believable” in the title even though it’s not strictly correct.

@kiwidoc - no offense was intended. I was merely attempting to contribute in my own inimitable style.

For what it is worth, I like most of the images.
    @the_spyder - no worries mate (in my own inimitable kiwi style). It was nearly time to make another summing up what I do post over on the tumblr that goes along with this thread.

Believe it or not, I just read a comment on a friends tumblr that said making any comments about, or calling any images "female" instead of "women" is sexist. Sheesh ... does this mean posting any images of non-humans of the possibly maternal gender is sexist too?
    kiwidoc said:

Believe it or not, I just read a comment on a friends tumblr that said making any comments about, or calling any images "female" instead of "women" is sexist. Sheesh ... does this mean posting any images of non-humans of the possibly maternal gender is sexist too?

I personally think the whole topic has gone way beyond what is reasonable. Pretty soon we won't be able to acknowledge that there are differences in form between the sexes. But not gonna turn this into a soap box or make flame bait for someone who has issue with appreciating art other than that which they find acceptable.

Liking the thread. Wish I had something to contribute.

@the_spyder - and here was me wondering if I dared to change the title to "images of females in non sexist armor" *Grins*
    Maybe it should be "images of females in armor that isn't any more sexist than the males get to wear"
    nah ..... we better leave it as it is!
    @kiwidoc - LOL. Yes, I've had endless discussions with a female acquaintance of mine on the topic of why it is acceptable to show a shirtless man, and not the reciprocal. After all, based on her reaction to seeing oh, a certain Thunder God on the big screen, I'd say that the reaction is fairly equal. I guess equality only goes one way. Doh.
    edited January 2015
    the_spyder I do find it insulting and depressing when I search through all the latest pics looking for images to be used on this thread and tumbler - so many of the images are laughably silly semi naked women, and then there are the ones with boobs that are considerably larger than their heads. They couldn't walk, let alone fight! And then there are the ones that are quite simply sexist and demeaning. I really, really hate the anime panty shots and nipple outlines on schoolgirls images.

There is a hell of a lot of awful stuff out there - but you have to be sure not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We don't want to be "more equal" than men, so in my mind silly stuff like boob socks and high heels are ok, as the men pics has stuff like that too.

I have to agree with your female friend though - a naked chest on a woman is considerably more revealing than the same on a man. I'd put it equal to seeing a man in a tiny thong and posing pouch :wink:
    kiwidoc said:

the_spyder I do find it insulting and depressing when I search through all the latest pics looking for images to be used on this thread and tumbler - so many of the images are laughably silly semi naked women, and then there are the ones with boobs that are considerably larger than their heads. They couldn't walk, let alone fight! And then there are the ones that are quite simply sexist and demeaning. I really, really hate the anime panty shots and nipple outlines on schoolgirls images.

There is a hell of a lot of awful stuff out there - but you have to be sure not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We don't want to be "more equal" than men, so in my mind silly stuff like boob socks and high heels are ok, as the men pics has stuff like that too.

I have to agree with your female friend though - a naked chest on a woman is considerably more revealing than the same on a man. I'd put it equal to seeing a man in a tiny thong and posing pouch :wink:

I guess from my perspective, I don't understand why 'Sexist' gets thrown around so heavy-handedly. I can see some of what you describe as 'poor taste' or even juvenile, but 'sexist' seems to suggest that there is some overt attempt to demean, ridicule or oppress. This may not (or it may) be the case.

I am a big fan of Xena - Warrior Princess. I LOVE the portrayal of a Warrior woman who can defeat any foe with her sword, and still look stunning into the bargain. Some might call a woman who traipses around in scant leather armor to be quite sexist. I think it is anything but.

I love the female form and find that nothing in nature is quite as beautiful. I think it is awesome that women are amazing creatures on all levels and I totally respect the power that they command over us lesser mortals.

What I do find to be quite sexist in it's own right is that most 'warrior' women today are relegated to using bow and arrow or other long range projectile weapon instead of being capable of actually standing toe to toe with another warrior.

But showing and admiring the human form in any degree is, in my humble view, an expression of beauty, not an attempt to hold one sex down.

As for the male/female torso, I see very little difference. I DO believe that men are more visually oriented than women. That is a documented fact. In that, men may be more distracted by the female form, but that in no way means (in my humble view) that exposed mammary glands/pecs are any different regardless of gender.

All my personal opinion and not intended to offend anyone. We can agree to disagree.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    image by hakubaikou
    image by TheFirstAngel
    image by kir-tat
    image by erulian
    image by Naschkatze
    image by Wen-M
    image by telethon
    image also by telthona
    image by Wen-M
    image by YamaOrce
    image by Angevere
    image by Butjok
    image by ElifSiebenpfeiffer
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    LadyRhian said:

image by hakubaikou

Guys. I think I'm in love. Someone smack me to bring me to my senses.
  • skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    I would but I'm not sure you are out of them
    @LadyRhian and @ELrandir don't little touches like messy hair and freckles make an image look so much more real, and doesn't that just add to it's impact!
This discussion has been closed.