Skip to content

Tv Show: Galavant

WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
Fantasy comedy musical. How much win is that? Really cool show. I'm totally enjoying it's unexpected humour and fantasy themes, give it a look if you want a quick distraction.
NonnahswriterronaldoJuliusBorisov

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I tried. I really did. I made it halfway through the first episode, but I just can't. I just couldn't watch it.
    elminster
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I'm with @meagloth. I really tried to like it. Everything I read beforehand suggesting that it was Monty Python for the modern age plus all of the cameos that they list made it something that I wanted to like. I got half way though the premier and just turned it off and deleted the recording.
    meagloth
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    I gave it a try and am satisfied with that. There's so many shows that take themselves too seriously that I welcome a spoof for a change. Plus, the actors would be quite believable in their respective roles, had the series been dramatic instead of a comedy.
    edited January 2015

I'm with @meagloth. I really tried to like it. Everything I read beforehand suggesting that it was Monty Python for the modern age plus all of the cameos that they list made it something that I wanted to like. I got half way though the premier and just turned it off and deleted the recording.

It kinda felt like it was written by gay 12 year olds. It's full of sex(really blunt, obvious) jokes, but it's not really blue at all. It's TV-PG, I think. My little brother would love it, and I could show it to him if it wasn't full akward sex jokes.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    My wife turned it on and I am enjoying it fine. It doesn't take itself seriously, has some wit at times, some low brow humor at other times, and parodies the source tales in entertaining fashion at times. It reminds me less of a new Monty Python and more of a Psych for the fantasy comedy musical genre. Heck, they even recycle one of the main characters from Psych!
    FinneousPJelminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Looks interesting. I'll give it a shot when I next have the time :)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    As far as Fable parodies, I much prefer 'The Librarians'. I don't know if it is the cameos or the light and fun story lines or Rebecca or what. I just think it is a better light and fun show to watch.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

As far as Fable parodies, I much prefer 'The Librarians'. I don't know if it is the cameos or the light and fun story lines or Rebecca or what. I just think it is a better light and fun show to watch.

Is "The Librarians" a parody, though? It's one thing to run an adventure series with a bit of humor thrown in, or tell a light-hearted adventure story; it's another thing entirely to run a parody.

I haven't seen "The Librarians" yet though... I have too many shows to catch up on. TT_TT
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It seems like a decent show. I've watched the first two episodes so far and from that I'd give it a 7/10.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I wouldn't say that "The Librarians" is a Fable Parody. I'd say that its more like a Mythological Adventure series. For instance, the first three movies are focused on Flynn trying to find/keep safe religious artifacts or locations.

Spoiler Alert!
    In the first movie, The Librarian: Quest for the Spear, Flynn was just selected to become a Librarian, and was chosen to go find the Spear of Destiny that was just stolen from the Library.

The Second movie, The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines, is Flynn searching for King Solomon's Mines.

The third movie, The Librarian: Curse of Judas Chalice, I'll admit it, I've never watched this movie, but its supposed to be about Flynn keeping Judas' Chalice safe because bad stuff will happen if the wrong people get it.

Tbh, I'll admit that I wanted to see more Flynn, because to me Flynn will always be the Librarian. However, I understand that Noah Wyle is also doing Fallen Skies.

That being said, I've only watched a couple of episodes of the Librarians, and I do kind of like it.

Now, to bring this semi-back on topic. I saw some commercials for Galavant, and was intrigued, but that might have been because I was trying to feel happy about something bad that had recently happened.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064

I wouldn't say that "The Librarians" is a Fable Parody. I'd say that its more like a Mythological Adventure series. For instance, the first three movies are focused on Flynn trying to find/keep safe religious artifacts or locations.

Spoiler Alert!

In the first movie, The Librarian: Quest for the Spear, Flynn was just selected to become a Librarian, and was chosen to go find the Spear of Destiny that was just stolen from the Library.

The Second movie, The Librarian: Return to King Solomon's Mines, is Flynn searching for King Solomon's Mines.

The third movie, The Librarian: Curse of Judas Chalice, I'll admit it, I've never watched this movie, but its supposed to be about Flynn keeping Judas' Chalice safe because bad stuff will happen if the wrong people get it.

Tbh, I'll admit that I wanted to see more Flynn, because to me Flynn will always be the Librarian. However, I understand that Noah Wyle is also doing Fallen Skies.

That being said, I've only watched a couple of episodes of the Librarians, and I do kind of like it.

Now, to bring this semi-back on topic. I saw some commercials for Galavant, and was intrigued, but that might have been because I was trying to feel happy about something bad that had recently happened.
    While being a very different show some of the motifs (I've literally spent an entire day trying to remember this word) remind of "Pushing Up Daisies" which was similarly shocking in it's juxtapositions.

Is "The Librarians" a parody, though? It's one thing to run an adventure series with a bit of humor thrown in, or tell a light-hearted adventure story; it's another thing entirely to run a parody.

I haven't seen "The Librarians" yet though... I have too many shows to catch up on. TT_TT
    Oh yea I wanted to watch that. I saw a rapier in an add for it. I'll watch anything with a rapier in it.
    Nonnahswriter
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    meagloth said:

Oh yea I wanted to watch that. I saw a rapier in an add for it. I'll watch anything with a rapier in it.
    My name is ...