Skip to content

Auto Mod Installer (AKA Anti-Frustration Modding Machine™)

g314g314 Member Posts: 201
edited August 2012 in General Modding
First off, I'm just a simple gamer: I'm not a modder, even less a programmer, so forgive me for my n00bishness. Also, I apologize if this was already discussed earlier. Finally, my humblest and deepest apologies if this program already exists and I've never heard about it!

Now, I've been installing some mods in my BG game lately, and while choosing each component, I came up with this idea. How about a program that records all the mods and components you installed in your previous installation and stores everything into a database of instructions?

Next time you re-install BG(:EE), you won't need to re-install every single mod and component over and over again. The program will tell you something like: "Last time you installed BG, you added the following mods: X, Y and Z (with their respective components you accepted to install). Please, extract these mods into your BG folder and try again."

So, for example, last time I installed BG2 vanilla, I wanted: BGT, TuTuGUI, TuTuGUIFont, Ascension, BP-BGT-Worldmap, TxtMusic, SCS, SCSII and BG2Tweaks. The program simply reminds me I need to copy these mods into my main BG folder if I want to play with the same mods I installed in the past. Once I have done this, the program automatically fires up all the mods in my BG folders and installs all the components I used in my previous installation by following this log. I don't need to touch these mod setup programs at all, unless I decide to add/delete specific components manually.

The program could also connect to the Internet and remind you: "There's a new version of X-Mod from whateversite[dot]com. Would you like to download it? Y/N."

So, I'm asking you modders, is this sort of thing feasible?

Comments

• YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    I can't speak for BGT or BP because I've never installed them, but your Weidu log will show you what you installed and what order. You could keep a copy of that? Otherwise, there's no fully-automated tool that I'm aware of.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It already exists. It even downloads the mods for you if you don't have them. Look for Big World Project on Spellhold Studios site.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    Yep, The Big World Setup can load a Selection.ini or WeiDu log for install.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    BWS needs work (are detailed conflicts and descriptions really so hard?), but it's a pretty sturdy piece of software. I don't recommend it for beginners, @Zafiro taught me how to use it and it was HELL. Manually installing things with Tutu saves time if you know what order they go in.

Because I personally don't like a lot of content mods (which BWS is built around, intended for large games), manually installs are better.

Let's put it this way, 30+ mods, you need BWS. XD
    edited August 2012
    Try the latest beta. It now has preconfigured setups that add little to the game other than UB and a few other mods, mostly fixes. And you can easily select which mods you want and what options.

It now has a better conflict detection system, as well as a pre-requisite explainer that give you options on how to deal with the problems found.

http://dabus.bplaced.net/BWP/bws.php
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    Hmmm, I have heard of this "Big World Project", but I'm not sure how to make it work. It asks me where BG1 is located, then loops on "BG1 - Patch Check" and "Press Any Key to Continue." No matter what I do, it keeps telling me to "Press Any Key to Continue."
    @g314 Did you download from the link I provided? Are you trying to run the bat file directly?
    edited August 2012
    @mlnevese I'm testing it, but I already have some mods installed. Should I select "Recommended" BWP version or should I start over and re-install BG2?

EDIT: Never mind, I've just noticed the '...' button on the right.
    edited August 2012
    @g314 always start with a patched clean install.
    edited August 2012
    Alright, I think I got the picture. Thank you for your help! =)