Skip to content

IWD2 EE or IWD2 with tweaks!

Well I've been thinking (and reading) and it isn't guaranted the IWD 2 EE by the end of the year! I remember playing IWD 2 a few years back...(actually I played that game before playing IWD 1) and my doubt is:

Should I play the old IWD 2 with the improvements by several mods or should I wait?

I am finishing my re run of IWD EE and I am itching for a "new" RPG game...so what do you guys think?!

Comments

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    From what I understand it's not even clear there WILL be an IWD2:EE, let alone by the end of the year. If you liked the game, you can probably dust it off and play it.

If you do find a game like IWD or BG to play, let me know. Been looking for a good ten years now, still with the good ol'. But you never know.
    jackjacklolien
  • JotaJota Member Posts: 50
    @Lord_Tansheron‌ what kind of RPG are you looking for?!

Well the older ones I would definitely recommend Planescape Torment, probably the best RPG I ever played, not because of combat or character creation (which is maybe "meh") but because of the immersive story behind it! I love the game!

Well older games you have Arcanum which is nice, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity (good story also), Dungeon Siege, Lionheart, Titan Quest!

Some are better than others, but still a good choice!
  • Manveru123Manveru123 Member Posts: 52
    @up Other than Torment neither of those are anything "like IWD or BG", which is what he asked for.

Pillars of Eternity has a release date in two months, look forward to that I'd say. Other than that, the closest thing you can get is probably Dragon Age:Origins, but it's not quite the same anyways.

I'm also tempted to play IWD2 but I'd rather wait until it's confirmed (or denied) 100% that EE version will be made.
    @Manveru123‌ from what I understood he wanted one of the "old" RPGs, and yes Torment is the only one similar to BG and IWD, still the others have their merits and I recommend them!

Got to see this pillars of eternity! My PC is quite old so I don't know if I have the requirements for it! :s
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited January 2015
    Jota said:

My PC is quite old so I don't know if I have the requirements for it! :s

Here's the minimum system requirements:
    CPU: 2.6 GHz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
    RAM: 2GB RAM
    GPU: Model Shader 3 Compatible Video Card, Nvidia GeForce 6600 GT or ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card or better
    Operating system: Windows XP or greater / Mac OSX 10.5 (Leopard) / Linux
    HDD: 20 GB
    It's not going to be all that demanding really. I was kind of surprised to see how low end the game is going to be, especially after seeing some of the screen shots.

Jotajackjack
    Well I probably can run the game...let us wait!
    lolien
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Jota - unless you can sate your need for a game for a year or more, I'd say play IWD2 with tweaks. "If" we get IWD2:EE, it won't be for a while and you can appreciate it all the more when it does come out for having played the "Original" now. Just my two cents.

As for stuff "Like" BG, I'm sure it's all been said.

Temple of Elemental Evil
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Pillars of Eternity
    Fallout 1 & 2
    Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2

I've heard that Divinity: Original Sin is "Like" these others but haven't played it so I can't say.

For more of an "Action" take, I've been loving Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2. Just sayin...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Pentium 4? May have to go rob a museum to see if it will actually run PoE.
    lolien
    @the_spyder‌ thanks! I really wanna remember the game and now that I played IWD EE I have the icewind dale global history fresh in my mind!

Well I also have temple of Elemental Evil installed but the game does not produce the kind of trill I like in an RPG...well I installed the Circle of 8 mod and the game crashes a lot so maybe that is the problem!
    Jota said:

Well I also have temple of Elemental Evil installed but the game does not produce the kind of trill I like in an RPG...well I installed the Circle of 8 mod and the game crashes a lot so maybe that is the problem!

This is the kind of Trill, I would like in ahem.... a different kind of role playing game.

Seriously, admittedly ToEE was less story driven, but for fans of the original module, this is classic. Also, I absolutely LOVE the strictly turn based combat approach FAR and above what the Infinity engine provides. Still think BG is a better game, but ToEE always has a soft spot in my heart.
    lolien
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I did not enjoy ToEE, but it's admittedly been many many years since I last played it. Perhaps it's time to give it another bash? Hm...

Well, as soon as this deadline from hell releases me anyway.
    jackjacklolien
    @the_spyder‌ for turn base games I always think about fallout 2! but still I was enjoying ToEE but the crashes made me play less and less! And for me a good story ALWAYS stays above gameplay! Still I it wasn't a bad game...ahaha nice dream/objective for a role play!

@Lord_Tansheron‌ eyes on a prize, i.e., playing games after the deadline!
    jackjacklolien
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I can also highly recommend Arcanum. It's much more similar to Fallout than BG though, since it was made by the many of the same people. The ting I like most about it is the unique setting, 19th century steampunk mixed with magic, and actually magic vs. technology is a very important plot point in the game.

Would really love if someone would make a sequel to Arcanum even if it's just a "spiritual" one, but it doesn't seem likely.
    Arcanum is an immersive game also! I really liked the dicothomy between magic and technology!
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Does anyone know Gorasul: The Legacy of the Dragon? I've never played it, but from what I've seen it is very similar to Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment.
    @argent77‌ well i never played it! let's see if some one knows if the game is nice!
    @Jota - I could forgive ToEE because I remember the module fondly. My group played the entire range and I still have it.... somewhere. What I liked about ToEE though was the engine and the potential. There was absolutely no reason that it couldn't have done a BG like game or ten. The combat was so much better for someone like me, and so much more like PnP because things went turn by turn. I am not (for the most part) a fan of games that depend more on quick reflexes rather than tactics.

They have done a lot to fix the crashes and other bugs (and ToEE was quite buggy at launch) over at the Co8 site. I want to say they are on version 5 or so, so you might want to see if it is still as problematic as it used to be.

Personally I did not enjoy Arcanum. I have a big problem with guns in my fantasy realms. They just aren't what I imagine. Call me a classic Tolkien purist but swords and sorcery don't "Need" guns, at least not in my personal and subjective view.
    jackjack
    @the_spyder‌ I have the latest Co8...I think is version 8! And I was enjoying the game but I don't know...the constant crashes got to my nerves!

Well I am a big fan of tolkien and for me fantasy is about magic and swords...still i liked how Arcanum made something completly different! and the story is quite good! not as good as PST but still nice!
    @Jota - sorry to hear about ToEE. Version 5 seemed pretty stable to me when I played it. I know that the elemental nodes can be a bit dicey, but I thought the rest of the game was solid.

As for Arcanum - I don't say it is a bad game. Certainly I've heard wonderful things and even own a copy based on the strength of those recommendations. I just never got very far because I have this aversion to guns in that setting. It's a personal bias and a failing on my part.

The really sad bit is that I've been playing Dark Souls 1/2 and looking forward to Bloodbourne, but probably won't play THAT because of the guns. Ah well. My loss I guess.
    @the_spyder‌ you should give it a try! the story is really good! and you can always play as a paladin of magic against techonology!

well never played Dark Souls...my PC is really old! the maximum I can play is Dragon age Origins and it's a pity i play with such horrible graphics!
    the_spyder
    @Jota - I've tried Arcanum not less than 4 times. It isn't my thing. But thanks for the recommendation.

Dark Souls is insidious. I love that the combat is not DPS, but is all about actually being good. I love the interconnected world and all that there is to uncover. I don't love the difficulty, but I am getting through it.
    jackjack
    @the_spyder‌ well I read Dark Souls is actually a nightmare when it comes to battle and you really need to plan everything ahead!
    edited January 2015
    @Jota - not so. You can't 'Button Mash', that's true. But like anything, you build skills as things progress. You use them. And the way that things unfold, you have a pretty good idea what is coming next. But I wouldn't say you HAVE to plan everything.

Playing Dark Souls 2, and not being a very good player, I accidentally became a part of the covenant that intentionally makes the game harder. Still, I managed to get more than half way through that way. it is VERY unforgiving, but it isn't impossible or so demanding that casual players can't learn the skills.

EDIT: One thing I would like to add is that while the game is TOUGH, it isn't unbalanced or unreasonable like a lot of games. It's unrelenting in it's adherence to how the game mechanics work, but even for a mediocre player like myself, they teach you the skills as you progress and you DO overcome the challenges.
    Post edited by the_spyder on
    @the_spyder‌ well I have to try it!

the_spyderjackjack
    Well I decided to play IWD 2 with tweaks and mods! What do you guys recommend? And I like the ones with NPCs...is ther a must have mod or tweak?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    There are difficulty enhancing mods, like Undead Targos which makes the first tutorial-like chapter with nerfed goblins actually a very difficult threat. The final goblin battle in the palisade becomes ten times more interesting...and difficult.

Ease of use mod has some cool tweaks. Item randomisation component may add some more compatibility but it is very, very random to the point of being ridiculous.

Tactics4iwd2 mod was notoriously difficult when I last played it. Very, very difficult. I was able to breeze through the unmodded game on HoF difficulty and actually managed to beat the very final battle without taking damage. However with this mod I kept crashing into brick walls repeatedly in normal mode, the battles became astonishingly difficult:the spell casters were very smart and that was refreshing, however I do not enjoy disintegrate and finger of death spells thrown at my low to mid level party:there is a reason why no enemy spellcaster use those spells in the unmodded game, they perma-kill your characters, deleting them from the party! And good luck trying to resist them via a low fortitude character.

There is also npcs for iwd2, they are very good and have different options for multiple plays! The mod has increased loading times significantly, and that together with my constant reloading thanks to tactics mod made me hate the game. Hated it with a passion! So don't mix the two.
    @lunar‌ I am thinking of doing only HoF, and maybe not even that because I don't recall much of the game! But I would like to have NPCs with good interactions, some tweaks that improve the game and so on! if I recall this game is more spell oriented instead of the melee IWD EE! Thinking of going Paladin of Mystra or something like that!
    Jota said:

Thinking of going Paladin of Mystra or something like that!

LOL. Is there such a beast in the game? I remember someone saying that according to the rule books, Mystra doesn't have paladins. But then, it's a video game. So long as the "DM" allows it, sky is the limit, right?

jackjack
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Then you should get the iwd2 npcs mod, the npcs are lively and have banters/interactions with each other and romances too. Some select components from ease of use mod would be your cup of tea, as well. Skip the difficulty mods.

Starting in HoF mode is not recommended with a lvl 1 party, though. Monsters in IWD2 get even more vicious than iwd1's HoF mode.
    DreadKhanlolien
    @the_spyder‌ if I recall you could have a paladin multiclass with a sorcerer...indeed it would be a beast!

@lunar‌ thank you! What is the best place to get the mods you are saying?
    lolien