Skip to content

Shandalar...

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
I used to feel bad about killing him. I usually kill him, just because he is so damned dishonest. "I need you to find my cloak." Doesn't sound to hard? He sends you to a prison full of powerful mages, where there is no escape save for success or death. Even when the Charname is on the verge of death he doesn't help, instead only stepping in when the cloak is in hand. That's just...wrong. So very wrong. And to then teleport out with a half-arsed thanks? He usually gets a sword to the face.

That said, something hit me. Shandalar says that he is the benefactor of the town. Well...what does that actually mean?

(1) A cult takes root in the town, and is very well entrenched. They've got a small army there, with fighters packing full plate and wizards walking around. They've stockpiled expensive potions, and they are trying to bring a daemon back into Faerun. That's pretty bad stuff right there! Shandalar doesn't give two figs about them. Did he stop them? No. Does he help Charname root out the cult? No. He keeps himself perfectly safe, even though he is more than capable of actually being a benefactor.

(2) If you fight him without paralyzing him, he'll throw a fireball at you. He does that in a town square, uncaring of who the blast hits. He could easily throw his wards up and teleport out, and fight you at a time and place where the villagers under his care won't be hurt. But no...he puts all of their lives at risk right there to kill his foes.

In essence: You have a very powerful mage who claims to be the benefactor of a town. He does jack and shyt for the town. He doesn't protect it. He doesn't take any steps to preserve the lives of the townspeople. All he does is wait for powerful adventurers to come through so he can trick them into walking into a deathtrap, where their lives are completely in his hands, for 0 payment.

He might not be "evil" because he at least has the etiquette to trick Charname by withholding important information...but for his jerkery I feel like it's not a complete playthrough if he leaves alive.

Anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Shandalar is a mandatory offing to me for all those reasons. He is the epitome of selfish and callous. Wand of paralyzation = win.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2015
    They really should consider changing him to Chaotic Neutral, which is what he is described as being in Volo's Guide. Right now he is chaotic good and his behaviour really doesn't fit the alignment (at least not as well).

So basically I treat him as if he were chaotic neutral.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Is there any information on who he is? All I know about him is what we learn in game, which is just that he is a powerful jerk. I'd be very interested to know more than just that.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I killed him in my last game, as my group was full evil characters, I didn't care about losing reputation. Viconia took alot of pleasure and Dorn too. Extra bonus XP and alot of powerful scrolls
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Hmm... I wonder who Mrs. Shandalar is... After all there has to be a Mrs. Shandalar for him to have daughters... Right?

Hmm... maybe it is
    Mistress Mallory
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    If you haven't noticed the cult is bringing back the demon in the basement of "Shandalar's Home". So he doesn't do anything about the cult because he is actually in on the whole demon summoning business.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Darkcloud said:

wait if he is chaotic good why does he drop a robe of the neutral archmagi?

It is a keepsake of the last mage he suckered into fetching his cloak who didn't fare so well as you. After the guy bit it, the guy's possessions transported back to Shandalar who kept them for himself while he waited for the next dupe to come along.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2015
    Darkcloud said:

wait if he is chaotic good why does he drop a robe of the neutral archmagi?

Maybe he won't need if when he gets resurrected? :p