Skip to content

#11616 - [Linux] Zooming out should not prevent scrolling left

DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
edited February 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
Sorry, this one might be a little tricky to reproduce. I can't always get it to happen, and I have not observed the behavior in IWD:EE on Linux. It didn't seem to take too long before it starts happening. It doesn't seem to happen immediately after just starting or loading a game. It seems to start happening after a few minutes, though.

This is under the Gnome remix of Ubuntu 14.04, nvidia drivers 343.22, GTX 980.

1. Scroll to left hand side of screen, very fast. ie rapidly move the mouse all the way from the right hand side of the screen to the left.

*Observed* Screen does not scroll to the left.

*Expected* Screen scrolls to the left.

When this starts happening, I can still scroll to the left, if I move the mouse to the left side more slowly. Scrolling Up and Left, as well as Down and Left can cause the problem to occur. All the other directions seem unaffected.
Post edited by Troodon80 on
lolien

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I can replicate this on my laptop with Iris Pro 5200 graphics. Still uses Ubuntu Gnome remix 14.04.

I thought it might be because I use dual monitors on my desktop (even though the spare monitor is to the right). But it still happens even with the single display on my laptop. It seems to happen pretty quick, though. Less than a minute after starting a new game or loading one.

It almost seems like the game lets the mouse cursor slip a pixel or so further than the edge scroll on the left can pick up. The really weird thing is, it's only to the left.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited November 2014
    What resolution are you using?

Edit: I can replicate the issue. It seems to depend on the speed at which you move the cursor to the left edge. If you move it slowly, it will always work. If you move it quickly, then you have a high chance of encountering this.
    lolien
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @DrHappyAngry‌ We're no longer able to reproduce the issue. Let us know if you are still seeing a problem
    lolien
    Yup, I'm still seeing it. I'm on a 4k monitor, so I do tend to whip the mouse around pretty fast.
    lolien
    edited January 2015
    Do you see it if you move the mouse slowly toward the edge?
    Also, can you see if it happens at lower resolutions?
    Post edited by Cerevant on
    lolien
  • oldman42oldman42 Member Posts: 27
    I can confirm the problem. To me it happens when i have used the zoom-in function. Zoomed out to max - no problem at all, zoomed in somehow - problems with left-sided scrolling appear.

lolien
    @Troodon80 can you give this a try?
    lolien
    I've already tried on both Fedora and Linux Mint to no avail. It happens only rarely, and I cannot get it to happen more than once per load. As in, once I load a game it occurred in before it doesn't happen again if reloaded (and subsequent reloads, including restarting the game). I'm keeping my eyes open for it, but without a way to reliably replicate it I'm a bit dead in the water as to what it might be.
    lolien
    Well, as said, the scrolling problem only occurs when I have used the zoom-function. If i dont zoom, the game runs fine (besides the neverending battle music, that drives me nuts). But as soon as I use the mousewheel to zoom a bit, I have problems with scrolling by moving mouse to the left screen edge. I run BGEE in fullscreen, 1600x1200@nvidia. The problem is fixed after the next reload, until I zoom again... It took me a while to encounter this problem, because I prefer to use default zoom. Btw, in IWDEE i havent encountered any scrolling problems (and the battle music is also stopping right away).
    I can only imagine that there is some coordinate transformation problem while calculating the "hotspot" zone for the scrolling effect after the visible screensize has changed bcs of zooming.

For me, the solution is to avoid the zoom function. A "fixed zoom" setting in the config file like in IWDEE would be very nice.
    lolien
    I've logged the scrolling issues as 11616, but added a note saying it is not entirely reliable. It might be a range of different settings, from resolution to mouse scrolling DPI to overall speed when moving the mouse. The only times I've been able to replicate it are when moving the mouse particularly fast.
    lolienJuliusBorisovhook71
    Thank you Troodon80.
    I think I have finally found a reliable way to reproduce the error:

(1) Start a game new (dont load, just start fresh).
    (2) Load a saved game or start a new.
    (3) Use the mousewheel to zoom in a bit (doesnt matter how much).

Now you shouldnt be able to scroll to the left with moving your mouse cursor to the left edge of the screen. After next reload, the scrolling works fine.
    Perhaps a variable that is not initialized at game start?

Screen: 1600x1200@nvidia, fullscreen

I hope this helps a bit to kill the bug finally.
    hook71lolien
  • pert_boioioingpert_boioioing Member Posts: 5
    Exact same issue here: sometimes can't scroll to the left after using the zoom feature. Moving the mouse to the left quickly seems to present this bug reliably, though if I move the mouse cursor about 1 pixel back out from the left edge of the screen the scrolling works. Moving the mouse slowly to the left edge seems to "catch" the scrolling trigger and works as intended. Middle-clicking to reset the zoom level or zooming all the way out seems to also fix it but I'm 100% sure.

Windows 8.1, Intel HD 4000 iGPU
    @pert_boioioing, what resolution are using?

Also, that would be the first mention on this issue being non-Linux. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the resolution—I've never seen this issue before on my Windows testing laptop (1280x800) or desktop (1920x1200). Interestingly, I can replicate this issue at 1920x1080 on my Linux machine. oldman42 is using 4:3. Difference between 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3? Since scaling is dealt by height, it probably has something to do with it.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Ditto, but I'm using Windows 7. When it does occur, it is always when I'm zoomed in, it is always scrolling to the left that is a problem and I can always solve it by zooming out. For me it is just mildly irritating and I thought it was a problem with my set-up, I hadn't realised other people were having exactly the same problem.
  • pert_boioioingpert_boioioing Member Posts: 5
    edited February 2015
    Troodon80 said:

@pert_boioioing, what resolution are using?

Also, that would be the first mention on this issue being non-Linux. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the resolution—I've never seen this issue before on my Windows testing laptop (1280x800) or desktop (1920x1200). Interestingly, I can replicate this issue at 1920x1080 on my Linux machine. oldman42 is using 4:3. Difference between 16:9, 16:10, and 4:3? Since scaling is dealt by height, it probably has something to do with it.

It happens in both the native 1366x768 and when I set the Windows desktop to 800x600 and allow the game to resize itself to this. Also, "Scale User Interface" is selected in the options.

zooming all the way out seems to also fix it but I'm 100% sure.

oldman42 said:

(3) Use the mousewheel to zoom in a bit (doesnt matter how much).

dunbar said:

When it does occur, it is always when I'm zoomed in

The only way I can replicate it on Linux is when zooming out (things become smaller and you see more of the area on-screen). Default zoom is fine, likewise when zooming in. So still no closer to narrowing it down.
    edited February 2015
    Just to clarify: When game starts, all is zoomed out to max visibility range by default. And scrolling is fine. Then, I zoom in and things get larger on screen, and scrolling problem occurs.

Besides, isnt it strange that it only occurs on the left side? What makes this side so special? If it has to do with coordinate problems, wouldnt it be at least consistent if the problem is also applicable to the upper screen edge (resp. lower, if graphic coordinate system is flipped)? Or, if the screen ratio is the cause, why is the right border not afflicted? Just some thoughts...
    @oldman42,

When I begin a new game or load an old save, it starts at the default zoom—not zoomed out.

Attached are the zoom levels I have.

Default zoom

Zoomed in

Zoomed out

I can only replicate the issue when zoomed out. I can replicate the effect with scaled user interface enabled and disabled. I cannot replicate the issue by zooming in.
    edited February 2015
    I have to admit, I never tried zooming out anymore after firing up the game. Thought it was already the max zoom out. Turns out I was wrong. But now, I just tested and can confirm that left scrolling is also blocked after zooming out to max. And this very reliable, even after reload, while the zoom-in problem is gone after loading up. So, in summary only the default zoom works fine for me. Max zoom out is bugged, but so is zoom in, too.

Some more info that pops up in my head: I play with scaled interface, GOG version. English, no mods.
    Post edited by oldman42 on
    Sorry I dropped off for awhile there. Still seeing this one on both systems. It makes sense this is related to zooming, since I normally zoom all the way out.
  • LeroidecLeroidec Member Posts: 18
    Hello,
    I confirm I have this bug as well. Running BG-EE on Steam on Mint 17.2.
    When the zoom is out (original view), I am not able to scroll on the left with the mouse (left arrow works though). If I zoom in just a little, this will work.
    Didn't notice it before since I moved from playing BG-EE on Wine (1.7) to Steam - Linux version (no problem at this time..).