Skip to content

Need help! BG crashes on Quicksave

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything that exactly fit the bill of my issue.

I have the Baldur's Gate Collection (BG1, TotSC, BG2, SoA). I am currently playing through BG1. The game crashes whenever I quicksave or leave an area.

I realised that if I uninstall the game and then reinstall it, the problem doesn't occur for as long as that playing session lasts so I had resigned myself to doing that. Now, not even that works.

My computer is Windows 7 but I tried running in compatibility mode for all the other Windowses. I also tried the recommended AND custom install.

Please help me, if I see that add for Descent 3 one more time I'll tear my teeth out with a spoon.

Comments

• ed209ed209 Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2014
    Update. Tried to install Tales of the Sword Coast hoping that somehow that would fix something. For some reason, when I put the TotSC disc into my computer, the computer recognised it as BG2: ToB and the original game won't work at all. Also my save file which I had worked fairly hard on (around 30 hours so considering the above post, I would estimate about 10-15 uninstallations and reinstallations) has been zapped by TotSC's overwrite which is also screwed.

I'm seriously regretting paying money for this game at this point considering how problematic its been.

I probably should have just pirated it but I believe in paying someone rather than stealing from them. In this case, Bioware has taken my money and given my a bundle of glitches, bugs, errors and stress. I genuinely feel that they have stolen from me so in the future, I'll return the favour if I want to play any of their games.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    As opposed to stealing it, you could've just bought a version made to run on modern systems:
    http://www.baldursgate.com
  • ed209ed209 Member Posts: 5
    JackJack. Listen to me you ignorant punt you. If i sold you a book and then told you afterwards that you should have bought the latest edition of the bok if you wanted to enjoy it, youd enjoy it because you like your uncles company, dont you. I bet you effin love it Sarah.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    What? You know what, nevermind. You're going to justify your behavior regardless, and I'm not in the business of changing people.
    And my uncle just passed away last week, so thank you for that particular sentiment.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited April 2014
    @ed209 Well, first of all this is the forum for the Enhanced Edition of the game by Beamdog. You may wish to direct your inquiries and frustrations at the Bioware forum for the original game: http://social.bioware.com/en/forum/1/category/183/index.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that the reference to pirating and your lashing out at a member may have come from sheer frustration, but we don't approve of pirating and we expect folks to behave courteously and respectfully to one another. If you want to remove those things from the post (and an apology to jackjack would be nice), people here who are very knowledgeable might deign to help you.

You can have a do-over if you can calm down and comport yourself a little more respectfully. Fair enough?
  • revaniterevanite Member Posts: 1
    ed209 said:

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything that exactly fit the bill of my issue.

I have the Baldur's Gate Collection (BG1, TotSC, BG2, SoA). I am currently playing through BG1. The game crashes whenever I quicksave or leave an area.

I realised that if I uninstall the game and then reinstall it, the problem doesn't occur for as long as that playing session lasts so I had resigned myself to doing that. Now, not even that works.

My computer is Windows 7 but I tried running in compatibility mode for all the other Windowses. I also tried the recommended AND custom install.

Please help me, if I see that add for Descent 3 one more time I'll tear my teeth out with a spoon.

Ed, I would like you to know that I too have experienced this problem. I will now take you through a step-by-step walkthrough of how to successfully install Baldur's Gate from the 4 in 1 pack.

First, you must completely uninstall the game from the control panel to start with a clean slate. Then you install it like normal using the install wizard using the default settings with ONE exception: DON'T INSTALL TO THE FOLDER IT TELLS YOU. This is were the problem is. I don't know why, but the folder will corrupt your data. I installed to the "saved games" folder on my PC and it then worked fine.

Note: assuming your problem is the same as mine, you made it to the Friendly Arm Inn, killed the assassin, then got screwed. Sadly, due to the corrupted data, you must create a new character and re-do that painful fight.

I hope I got to you before you returned the game. :)