Skip to content

About Constitution

superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
edited February 2015 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Ok so I have a Constitution granting +1 book, and I was wondering on who to use it on.

Im using this http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Constitution as a reference.

The Constitution of my party is

Dorn 14
My char 18
Neera 14
Xan 7
Viconia 8
Imoen 16

Now I just want to make sure Im understanding this table correctly. According to it, the only people who could benefit from a +1 Con would be Dorn and Neera correct? Because from 14 to 15 gives a change of +0 to +1 in hp? While everyone else dont get a benefit?

Also, my Dorn has 42 hp and Neera has 17hp just fyi.

Now assuming that those are the only 2 possible people to use it on. Who should it be?

Since Dorn and my char are both blackguards that tank/dps, I figured it would make more since for my tanks to get all the hp boosts from items available. But of course Neera has low hp. But then again I shouldnt have any of my party getting damaged as long as I have my 2 tanks positioned correctly (Assuming there arent future enemy encounters where I get ambushed from all sides or something)

So just curious as to what you guys think I should do

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Your main character can also benefit, as going from 18 to 19 gives a change of +4 to +5 for warrior types like your main character. In fact, while that may seem like overkill to give it to your MC, I'd recommend it. If you import your character into BG2, you'll keep any modifications to your own statline, but NPCs won't carry over. That means that, in the long term, stat ups are essentially "wasted" if they're given to NPCs.

Now, if you're finding Neera too squishy, might I recommend having her learn and memorize a Mirror Image spell or two? It's a fantastic defensive spell, even blocking damaging magic. It doesn't last all that long, but it's pretty quick to cast, and will usually buy you enough time to get Neera out of whatever pinch she's in.
  • superluccixsuperluccix Member Posts: 76
    If thats the spell that I see so many enemy mages cast, where it shows multiple copies of them, then yeah id love that, since i always seem to have less offensive output against those that do use it, as opposed to those who dont use it.

Just need to find one.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Neera needs to be cautious with self-buffs iirc, but yes, they will help keep her alive better I would wager than +1 cons will.

19 cons gives your Blackguard +1 HP per level until lvl 9, which is nice, but if you want to give the tome to Neera or Dorn, use EEkeeper to give them the +1 in BG2 also, or console in a Tome of Cons in BG2 to boost them appropriately.

Dorn would benefit from it in BG2 especially, Neera shouldn't die too often in BG2 if you manage her carefully, as she will have more and better buffs, and more reliable casting.
    Ok. Well, since I learned that the only character I get to import into BG2 is my main char, I think Im just going to juice him up with every stat boost item I can get. Since Im in for the long haul

If thats the spell that I see so many enemy mages cast, where it shows multiple copies of them, then yeah id love that, since i always seem to have less offensive output against those that do use it, as opposed to those who dont use it.

Just need to find one.

Yep, it's that spell. It's fantastic. If you've found High Hedge, the store there sells a bunch of scrolls. I can't remember for sure if they sell Mirror Image, but I think they do.

Ok. Well, since I learned that the only character I get to import into BG2 is my main char, I think Im just going to juice him up with every stat boost item I can get. Since Im in for the long haul

That's what I do. I'll distribute the BG2 stat up to whoever needs them most, but everything in BG1 goes to the main character.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited March 2015
    Jarrakul said:

Now, if you're finding Neera too squishy, might I recommend having her learn and memorize a Mirror Image spell or two? It's a fantastic defensive spell, even blocking damaging magic.

I'd agree, it's one of the best defensive spells a magic user can use. Especially considering that you can get it as a second level spell. Unlike many of the early defensive spells, it never becomes obsolete and is useful for the entire game.

Yes, that's the one. Anytime the mage is attacked, one of the copies is targeted first. It's not until all copies have been destroyed that the mage itself takes any damage. Quite often it won't be until the battle is almost over that this will happen, and your Mage will make it through completely unscathed.

As for your original question, you're far better off giving all the books you come across to your main character. As mentioned, those stat boost will transfer over to BG2 when you start playing that one. You're kind of wasting them if you give them to the rest of your party, as none of them will be ported over.

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2015
    Belanos said:

Yes, that's the one. Anytime the mage is attacked, one of the copies is targeted first. It's not until all copies have been destroyed that the mage itself takes any damage. Quite often it won't be until the battle is almost over that this will happen, and your Mage will make it through completely unscathed.

I am 99% sure that mirror image only provides multiple targets for incoming attacks, so if there were 5 mirrors active, there is a 1/6 chance of your character getting hit. There has been many occasions where I have been hit by a lucky shot despite having mirror images active. That said, it is still an awesome protection spell and one that remains invaluable through the entire saga.

Edit: Oh yeah, mirrors also works against AoE spells like fireball, which makes no sense to me, but makes it even more powerful.

Perhaps an expert mage like @Elminister can clarify this point.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't 20 CON regenerate in BG1? There should be an item you can pick up to get you to 20 if you're sitting at 19 so that's even more of a case to use it on your PC. Regenerating (even slowly) is an enormous time saver in game play.

Mages survival should NOT be relying on HP. They should be hiding in the back row throwing rocks and relying on spells for protection. Not like even an extra 4 to CON would make Nera into a frontline tank since she can't wear armor! There's a lot of 2nd level spells that are fantastic in BG1 (you'll notice they're the ones that give you nightmares when used against your party)... many of which begin to lose potency into BG2 and ToB but mirror image is simply good for any occasion at any point in any of the games.

Also why aren't you travelling with Minsc and Boo?

• ElysiumElysium Member Posts: 28
    Yep, 20 CON will regenerate very slowly (1hp a turn, I think), but with the amount of resting and traveling you do, you'll never worry about healing before moving on.

The biggest issue with mages isn't that they can't wear armor, I think. A Blade can tank well with a few spells, high DEX, and the Bracers of AC 6, while a mage gets the Robes of the Archmagi (AC 5). The big issue of why no one want Xan in a melee with his Dagger +3 is because mages roll a d4 for hitpoints while rogues have d6, clerics have d8, and fighters have d10 and a few special fighter kits have d12.
    Huh, I was wondering what the maximum hp each character could get upon level up. I would always reload a save to see if I could get a higher hp growth, but I could never tell if it could get higher or not. Now I do!
    Heindrich said:

I am 99% sure that mirror image only provides multiple targets for incoming attacks, so if there were 5 mirrors active, there is a 1/6 chance of your character getting hit. There has been many occasions where I have been hit by a lucky shot despite having mirror images active.

This is accurate in BG2 and the EEs, but my understanding is that in the original game the caster was never targeted before all the images were destroyed. It's been a while since I played the original BG, though.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Huh, I was wondering what the maximum hp each character could get upon level up. I would always reload a save to see if I could get a higher hp growth, but I could never tell if it could get higher or not. Now I do!

Also, in EE the record screen has this information in the bottom left. Before using the tome, your character's record screen would have said

Class Hit Points/Level: +10
    Bonus Hit Points/Level: +4

...meaning the max per level would be 14.