Skip to content

50+ instances of the exact same waylaid encounter

3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
edited February 2015 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
[Windows][Beamdog][BG2:EE 1.3.2064][no mods installed][60 frames per second]
[My system:][Windows XP Pro 32-bit SP3][4 GB RAM][1920*1080/32-bit colours][i7-3770K][Radeon 6670]

When travelling from Athkatla to D'Arnise castle during the early to middle game, you will be waylaid by the same five bandits over and over again, with identical loot too, including three spells; monster summoning II, oracle, minor spell deflection.

During an average game, you have to face:

- The same guys
- In the same waylaid encounter
- At the same location
- With identical loot

50 times or so ... just ridiculous.

If you take the route: Athkatla - Watcher's Keep - D'Arnise castle, they mostly won't be present.

I don't mind ambushes/waylaid encounters, in fact I think they're cool, and I don't mind loads of them, but in this case, my opinion is that there should be ;

- varying bandits/locations/loot, or
- fewer encounters

http://youtu.be/d0-pGCinuYc
Post edited by 3leeTbger on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    This is intentional. You may want to try posting this under feature requests instead since that is more along the lines of what this is.
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    How do you know it's intentional? Are you Overhaul Games staff, former developer, Or?

edited February 2015
    I know it is intentional because I am a beta tester and I know stuff about the game and how it works and I also know how the devs think from working with them.

What you describe has always been the case, even in the original BG2, and is therefore not a bug per se and therefore changing it would be an added feature.

My name is actually in the game's credits I'll have you know!
  • 3leeTbger3leeTbger Member Posts: 71
    If you're right, then I agree that posting in the feature requests section would be more appropriate.

But I still doubt it's intentional.

edited February 2015
    It may be that the original game's Devs wanted to put in more encounters and ran out of time. It may be that they didn't think it was worth the time to make more encounters. It may be that they were to lazy to make more encounters. It may be any number of things, but the original game worked that way and thus, without any evidence to the contrary (either in the game's data or anywhere else), aside from the fact that it is admittedly a bit odd that no additional encounters were programmed into the game, this is definitely intentional behavior.

Don't get me wrong, I, and many others, find this encounter a bit silly for its repeating nature, and I wouldn't mind seeing additional encounters added, but from a facts based perspective I must admit that this is intentional behavior as per the dev's definition.