Skip to content

Neverwinter Nights, NWN2, and by extension 3.5 in general necromancy decisions.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
Hello! Back again with more questions for necromancy themed stuff!

Played through IDW:EE with a party of all necromancers and was great!

Now looking through NWN and NWN2 for my next playthroughs and I cannot decide what class I should use for my Necromancer :(

Wizard has all the dark magicks and debuffs but Clerics have animate dead earlier.

In NWN I'm thinking of using the PrC mod and playing a True Necromancer (Same as the PnP counterpart). I know the class is sub-optimal since it's an arcane/divine prestige class but I want to master all of necromancy.

In NWN2 there is no such mod (that I know of) so I can't decide between a Wizard or Cleric D:

What do you guys think?

I've been having this issue since I first started playing D&D >_>

Even in BG I could never decide between mage or cleric. I finally chose mage with Aquadrizzt's Tome and Blood Mod that adds a White Necromancer that's based on Pathfinder and has both the "LIFE and death" aspect with healing spells and even Resurrection.

So yeah, in general.

Wizard vs Cleric Necromancy.

Which should I choose? QQ
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Since you plan to play NwN with the Player Resource Consortium installed, I recommend you the Dread Necromancer base class. Personally I was always fond of the theme of changing into an fully fledged lich. Only downside is that this class only has 20 levels and you'll never be able to become a demi-lich. Well, there's also a template system component in that mod but... meh.

For NwN2 you may find Kaedrin's PrC Pack of interest. Especially since he modificated the Palemaster with an 9/10 spellcasting progression. Oh, and the new "Repose" clerical domain could also fit divine necromancers.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    In NWN2 there are a BUNCH of PrC mods that allow all manner of class combinations (specifically Kaedrin's PrC Pack mentioned above). Sans that, if you go Wizard/Pale Master you will get some pretty solid necromancy vibes. I am sure there is a way to throw in Cleric as well. I'd recommend that you go over to the nwn2 db and see what they have to offer. Those guys really know their stuff as far as builds are concerned.

You may also want to look for any spell list additions. The Persistent world I used to play on (one of them) had modded several necromancy spells that aren't in the main game. Of course that was years ago, so I am SURE that they have made it into one or more of the community made spell packs.

Also, make sure that you get the Tony-K User interface and AI modifications. They are key to making the game more fun.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457

Since you plan to play NwN with the Player Resource Consortium installed, I recommend you the Dread Necromancer base class. Personally I was always fond of the theme of changing into an fully fledged lich. Only downside is that this class only has 20 levels and you'll never be able to become a demi-lich. Well, there's also a template system component in that mod but... meh.

For NwN2 you may find Kaedrin's PrC Pack of interest. Especially since he modificated the Palemaster with an 9/10 spellcasting progression. Oh, and the new "Repose" clerical domain could also fit divine necromancers.

I could of sworn I had made a reply but looking there isn't one.

If I bugged and there ends up being a double post I apologize.

I forgot all about the Dread Necro! I have the Heroes of Horror book IRL and it's my favorite 3.5 class XD

and I shall definitely get this Tony-K UI and AI mods along with kaedrin's PRC.

From an RP standpoint I don't know if I want to do a generic evil necro or be a good/neutral white necromancer-ish type person. Undead with healing spells and all that. I like the idea of being a master of Life and Deat. Not just death.

Anyway, any other mods that make NWN and NWN2 better? I really like D&D based games and the only ones I have left to beat are Planescape Torment, the NWN expansions (did the original campaign as a gnome cleric girl), all of NWN2, and IWD2.
    There's a really powerful combo that is Wizard/Scholar of Candlekeep/Pale Master in NWN2. But again go over to nwn2 db and see what they have. They can tell you loads more.
    Vallmyr

There's a really powerful combo that is Wizard/Scholar of Candlekeep/Pale Master in NWN2. But again go over to nwn2 db and see what they have. They can tell you loads more.

SO MANY BUILDS! XD

I really like this one. I'm always a fan of cute things that melt your face with black magicks and then stab your corpse before animating it. :D

http://nwn2db.com/build/?12574

I might make it a gnome though.

I like gnomes more.

Also, I found a Dread Necromancer mod for NWN2! Downside is it isn't compatible with Kaedrin's PRC :(

I WANT TO USE BOTH. QQ
    If it's been done, I bet Kaedrin has a work-around to make it fit in. Just look around.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934

Anything that is a pure arcane caster is a powerful combo in nwn2.
    edited February 2015
    It looks like I will end up doing Wizard/Pale Master/Arcane Scholar (renaming of Scholar of Candlekeep for Kaedrin's PrC).

A lot of people say going full PM is "Meh" but I want all the Necromancy even if it is sub-optimal! XD.

Did the tutorial area and such. I need to figure out why my character would be a Necromancer. I imagine the town wizard would've taught Val'myr basic arcane magicks so that explains the wizard class part.

Still trying to decide between Dread Necro or true Necro for NWN.

Dread Necro is better overall but True Necro has so much flavor! I could have both healing and harming spells! Just at the cost of being very very sub-optimal >_>

I might do a test build with both and see what spells they have and see if the split casting is worth at all.

Also, I saw the Leadership feat lets you make your own Cohort in the PRC mod for NWN. I'll probably make a cutesy gnome bard girl as Val's companion n_n

Edit: This is my 100th comment on the site. Woo!
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
    You could always make a Dread Necromancer 20/Cleric X/True Necromancer Y in NwN. :wink:

On a side note, a few levels of the Thrall of Orcus prestige class would be rather fitting for Dread Necromancers as well.
    Vallmyr
    edited February 2015

You could always make a Dread Necromancer 20/Cleric X/True Necromancer Y in NwN. :wink:

On a side note, a few levels of the Thrall of Orcus prestige class would be rather fitting for Dread Necromancers as well.

HOLY CRAP I COULD.

Also, let's see what Thrall of Orcus does~.

/google

Edit: Thrall of Orcus definitely has the Necromancy vibe. Maybe I'll be a Cleric of Orcus :3

Level cap is 40, so I could go like Dread Necro 20, Cleric 3, TN 10, Thrall of Orcus 7.

SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN!

Does Hordes of the Underdark go to such absurd levels though?
    Levels should go up rather high in HotU, especially if you use a character that completed the OC and SoU.

Still, in NwN you have a class limit of three: one base class and two other base/prestige classes. So that build doesn't work there.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    You shouldn't use a character from the OC in HotU, never mind SoU. SoU->HotU will bring your character to level 30ish though.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Vallmyr, if we're talking about NWN2, your character could develop his interest in necromancy as he begins to fight undead in the swamps. If good, he could be thinking to develop a kind of "fight fire with fire" approach, that is, fight necromancy with necromancy, or if full out evil, he could just be motivated by the usual desire for power. I didn't catch whether this is your first NWN2 run, so I don't want to write any spoilers, but there are lots of things in the main story that could motivate a young necromancer. Now that I think about it, the main story in the original campaign is kind of perfect for a necromancer character if you spin it that way.
    the_spyder
    edited February 2015

@Vallmyr, if we're talking about NWN2, your character could develop his interest in necromancy as he begins to fight undead in the swamps. If good, he could be thinking to develop a kind of "fight fire with fire" approach, that is, fight necromancy with necromancy, or if full out evil, he could just be motivated by the usual desire for power. I didn't catch whether this is your first NWN2 run, so I don't want to write any spoilers, but there are lots of things in the main story that could motivate a young necromancer. Now that I think about it, the main story in the original campaign is kind of perfect for a necromancer character if you spin it that way.

I've completed the OC for NWN but not the expansions. I haven't played NWN2 either >_>

Atm playing both to see which I have a feel for.

So far it's NWN2 because party based combat is preferable for me.

and the character is probably going to be Chaotic Good or True Neutral. Most likely True Neutral so I can become a Pale Master and such.

Levels should go up rather high in HotU, especially if you use a character that completed the OC and SoU.

Still, in NwN you have a class limit of three: one base class and two other base/prestige classes. So that build doesn't work there.

Oh.

well.

Dread Necro/Cleric/TN it is then. MASTER OF LIFE AND DEATH!