Skip to content

[HoF] Solo Sorcerer Spell Picks

CarnifexCarnifex Member Posts: 16
Hi,

I'm in the process of playing through a solo sorcerer HoF run (I'm currently level 11-ish and about to enter Dragon's Eye) and I'd like some input regarding the optimal spell pick setup up. Here's what I've got so far:

[1]

Grease - Combines well with web early on and never really ceases to be useful.
Magic Missile - Interrupts, Image removal. Quick cast. Useful
Burning Hands - Burn them trolls. Debatable with Melf's Minute Meteors selected, however. Shield might be more useful for the magic missile proteciton it provides.
Identify - Saves money. Not sure I'll need the gold in a solo run, though. Debatable.
Protection from Evil - It's a nice buff for a level 1 spell.

Note: Find familiar is cast from a scroll.

[2]

Web - Helps a ton early on in HoF
Glitterdust - Very useful debuff
Knock - To get the treasure :)
Mirror Image - Strong lowlevel buff
Blur - I went true neutral for the ferret familiar, so I won't be able to use sash of shimmering. Hence, blur.

[3]

Melf's Minute Meteors - Extremely useful in the early game (pre-animate dead) for actually killing stuff.
Haste - Haste them summons!
Slow - Great debuff at -4 save
Flame Arrow - Keeps on scaling. Nice single target damage at higher levels, particularly in a spell sequencer.
Dispel Magic - Useful for dispelling annoying enemy buffs, mostly. Pretty sure this is the only dispell-type spell I'll need in IWD:EE.

[4]

Stoneskin - Love this spell. Won't leave home without it.
Improved Invisibility - Incredibly useful, usually put this in a contingency too.
Emotion: Hope - Buffing minions
Emotion: Courage - Buffing minions.
Greater Malison - Useful for making enemies fail their disintegrate, chaos, finger of death saves.

[5]

Animate Dead - Meatshields!
Chaos - Excellent for creating well, chaos, in the enemy ranks.
Domination - Strong, heavy-hitter giving you trouble ? Dominate him and make him fight for you. Feeblemind might be useful too.
Lower Resistance - Not sure this and Breache are necessary in IWD:EE, maybe for end-game. Put it in a sequencer with Breach and Greater Malison on boss fights. Open to replacement suggestions.
Breach - Not sure this and Lower Resistance are necessary in IWD:EE, maybe for end-game. Put it in a sequencer with Lower Resistance and Greater Malison on boss fights. Open to replacement suggestions.

[6]

Disintegrate - Save or Die. Useful for HoF.
Contingency - Useful if things get hairy. Imp invis out.
Mislead - More of me is always useful.
Globe of Invulnerability - Useful against enemy casters.
- Might use it for Improved haste if I choose to pick up any stronger summons aside from animate dead. Slot is open to suggestions, however. Protection from Magical Weapons, perhaps ?

[7]

Finger of Death - Save or Die.
Project Image - More everything!
Spell Sequencer - Extremely useful spell.
- Mordenkainen's Sword ? Input requested.
- Protection from the Elements ? Prismatic Spray ? Input requested.

[8]

Simulacrum - More is more!
Power Word: Blind - No saving throw. What's not to like ?
Horrid Wilting - Scaling AoE. (Skull trap might have it's uses too.)
Spell Trigger - Flexible, useful spell.

[9]

My guy isn't evil so couldn't go for gate. Didn't pick up good int/wis scores either, so Wish is probably out too. That being said, here's what I'm planning to use once I get to level 9 spells:

Time Stop - Borderline broken spell. Always has been, always will be.
Chain Contingency - Love this for big fights.
Wail of the Banshee - AoE save or die ? Yes, please.
- Spell trap to eat spells ? (Might be overkill for IWD:EE), Monster Summoning VII (If the summons are even remotely useful, I don't know, haven't used the spell. My animated minions might suffice). Bigby's Crushing Hand ? Spell Strike ? What do you guys think ?

Have you got any experience with post-animate dead summons ? are there any worth picking up or should one just summon the meatshields and proceed to destroy everything with magix instead ?

Over and out,

//Carnifex

Post edited by Carnifex on
lolienjackjackJuliusBorisov

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Definitely pick Mordy's. After you get those and later the planetar you've won.
    lolienMusignyjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • Manveru123Manveru123 Member Posts: 52
    Forgive me for bumping an old thread, however.. Planetar? In IWD? Wasn't that a HLA summon?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Manveru123 Good point. I don't always remember which forum I'm posting on.
    Shikao
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    I might be wrong, but doesn't animate dead work differently in IWD-EE? Is the spell still worth it? Or is it even better then it's BG Counterpart?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Animate Dead summons 1d6 skeletons or zombies. They don't get buffed. Or at least this is how the divine version works and I think the arcane version is the same.

Mordenkainens Sword creates a weapon in the casters hand in IWD so it's a combat buff rather than a summon. The interesting thing about it is that you can attack from range with it (like spiritual hammer) and backstab with it.

As far as summons go there is a thread about it with all of the HP and resistances of summons written up. I'd have suggested Spider Spawn but it's broken until the next patch. Summon Hakeshar is a good one I think due to physical resistances.
    justfeelinathomeFinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • somtamwizardsomtamwizard Member Posts: 1
    Where did you find Find Familiar scroll in the first town?