Skip to content

throwing weapons after patch?

SweetMagooMagoodleSweetMagooMagoodle Member Posts: 40
Howdy! I am doing my first post patch BG2ee run with a dagger thrower. I am in Irenicus' opening dungeon and just picked up some throwing axes post dwarf slaughter, and it looks like strength damaged is NOT applied. Which I thought was supposed to be fixed. Then I found some throwing daggers, and it looks like strength damage IS applied to throwing daggers?

What is supposed to happen here? I thought (throwing) daggers, axes, and hammers were all supposed to have strength attached to damage (not so for darts). Pre patch I know this was not the case, but I thought the new patch was supposed to have fixed that. Am I mistaken? Why the inconsistency? The patch was so thorough I can only assume this is as it should be but it seems nonsensical to have daggers add strength but not axes (I didnt test throwing hammers)

Thoughts? Thanks!

Note: given that I am mostly a dagger hurler and daggers do have strength applied I am fine for this run through, but as I was gonna pick up a pip in axes for Azduredge, it would be nice to have strength applied to that as well -- that is IF strength is supposed to be applied.

Comments

• Bummer. Seems like it would have been a simple fix. Guess it got lost in the shuffle of the large (and very nice!) patch. Well my dagger hurler will reluctantly toss Azduredge in undead emergencies only then and stick to daggers. Thanks for the link.
    Tresset
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited February 2015
    This is a simple fix! Just gimme a minute.
    edited February 2015
    Blast! Looks like @Maxxximus beat me to the punch! Fix here.
    Post edited by Tresset on
    lunarXeZeLJuliusBorisov
    Whoops, wrong @Maxxximus...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Yeah this should be easy enough to fix, just drop the editted item files into override or portraits folder and it will work. Can be done on Ipad via Ifunbox, even.
    @lunar can you do that sort of thing without jailbreaking an iPad?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    @Tresset yes, even a limited modding is possible, without touching dialog.tlk. Only the file dialog.tlk is hard-protected and untouchable without a jailbreak. Here is the topic I have first discovered how to:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/16695/amazing-discovery-overriding-cre-files-without-override-folder-and-jailbreak/p1

On my Ipad, I have scs, item randomisation mod, some gui enchantments, improved bams, edited spells, items, areas, enemies, and tons of custom portraits. All without a jailbreak!
    Tresset
    edited February 2015
    @XeZeL Very insightful of you. It appears that @Maxxximus added the incorrect flag to the item files he uploaded. The fix I made earlier has the correct flag and should not cause the erroneous thac0 bonus. I will upload my fix (which I pulled out of my computer's recycle bin) here.
    XeZeLlunarSkatan
  • XeZeLXeZeL Member Posts: 13
    Woohoo perfection! Thanks a bunch @Tresset :D
    Tressetlunar
    @XeZeL Oh. I see the problem. For some reason the flag didn't take when I was editing the files. I think this is due to my handling of NI rather than the flag not working. I appreciate your aid in catching my errors twice in a row. I must not be having a good day for this stuff. I will make another upload and this time I will make extra sure that it works before giving everyone the wrong stuff. Ugh.

Note to self: When editing a file with NI, if you change something and hit the export button it will not export the file with the changes you made unless you hit the save button first...
    XeZeL
    THIS TIME! This time It should definitely work!
    XeZeLJuliusBorisov
  • XeZeLXeZeL Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2015
    Yeeeeaaaaahhhhh! That did it (for realz this time)! Have a beer on me next chance you get, you've earned it!

Edit: oops, forgot to namedrop @Tresset how he made my day. Stay awesome @Tresset!
    TressetCrevsDaak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Tresset said:

@XeZeL Oh. I see the problem. For some reason the flag didn't take when I was editing the files. I think this is due to my handling of NI rather than the flag not working. I appreciate your aid in catching my errors twice in a row. I must not be having a good day for this stuff. I will make another upload and this time I will make extra sure that it works before giving everyone the wrong stuff. Ugh.

Note to self: When editing a file with NI, if you change something and hit the export button it will not export the file with the changes you made unless you hit the save button first...

Don't worry I've done that before too :)
    Tresset
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

XeZeL said:

Clearly this issue is proving to be more problematic than anyone suspected.

@Tresset can you discuss a bit more what flag you're using here? (I'm not at my computer so I can't I spect your uploaded files.)

When EE came out and I saw that they were applying the STR damage bonus to daggers, darts, & slings, that seemed completely stupid to me (IMHO!) and I set out to undo the weird and arbitrary change. I saw the flag used for Vanilla BG2's Sling of Seeking and other thrown items with STR damage, and I figured I would just remove that flag from daggers and darts in EE.

Alas, not only had the devs made a weird and arbitrary change to the game, they did so in a weird and arbitrarily new way. It was a different and new flag and I couldn't figure out how to undo it.
    I believe the flags are labelled "EE damage strength bonus" and "EE Thaco Strength bonus" in NI.
    Tresset
    @subtledoctor They seem to have added some new flags for the EE version for this purpose. image
    The "add strength bonus" flag is obsolete and adds a bonus to Damage and thac0.

The two "EE" flags are the ones to use and they work as it says on the tin.
    JarrakulJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Tresset thanks for the file!