Skip to content

What Happened with this Wild Surge?

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
I got ambushed travelling between two zones in the Cloakwood, and as Neera tried to cast Magic Missile at an enemy, I got a strange noise, a flash of flames and what appeared to be two demonic gates forming...

Thankfully nothing came out of the gates... not that I am complaining that two Tanar'ri didn't gate in and ruin my day, but was that meant to happen or did that surge bug out?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2015
    This is likely just wild surge 57 -

"Strange visual effect; spell
    fizzles"
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Tresset said:

Wild surges cause completely random spell animations to play over the caster and the target. These animations are random every time and have no effect. The demon gate one does scare you if it shows up though.

Yeah... especially as I am pretty sure there is a Gate wild surge that actually does summon a pit fiend. Two pit fiends (if that were possible) would be absolutely insane for a BG1 party to deal with.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited February 2015
    Heindrich said:

Tresset said:

Wild surges cause completely random spell animations to play over the caster and the target. These animations are random every time and have no effect. The demon gate one does scare you if it shows up though.

Yeah... especially as I am pretty sure there is a Gate wild surge that actually does summon a pit fiend. Two pit fiends (if that were possible) would be absolutely insane for a BG1 party to deal with.
    There is a gate wild surge and, while the text that appears says "Is that a pit fiend?!", it actually summons a much weaker Nabassu. A Nabassu is still a formidable opponent for BG1:EE, after all, that is what Aec'Letec is (only Aec is a bit stronger than average).
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I was in a tough fight sometime in the last few days and Neera got the Gate Animation and I cast Protection from Evil Radius 10ft actually hoping the demon would come out. XD
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    This along with the falling cow is the main reason wild mages are banned from my no-reload playthroughs.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I liked using the Summon Cow spell in vBG1. It never killed the entire area back then...