Skip to content

Multiplayer Resting Separately

Hello,
So my friend and I finally got a chance to play multiplayer together for the first time the other night. It looks like a lot of the bugs were cleared up but there is something that is still kind of bothersome. We both have our own generated characters and we split up control of the NPCs. Whenever one of us would rest the other group would not rest. Normally this wouldn’t be that big of a deal but it causes the first one to rest to fatigue 8 hours sooner than the latter. Is this something anyone else is experiencing? Are we not toggling some kind of option to rest at the same time? Much appreciated.
I did try to do a search for any other threads but couldn’t find one.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I did MP once a while back... I thought rest was working fine... I would test it but I dont have anyone to do so with atm.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I am kinda confused, I've been playing in a MP game for well over a year, and we always assumed that you cannot rest unless the party was gathered in the same place.

@ChildofBhaal599 You controlled our Charname, can you confirm this?
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    You cannot rest while seperated, you cannot leave an area while seperated, and there are some rooms/buildings you cannot enter without the entire party. I think you've merely encountered a bug and should reform the game to clarify it.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    CaeDares said:

You cannot rest while seperated, you cannot leave an area while seperated, and there are some rooms/buildings you cannot enter without the entire party. I think you've merely encountered a bug and should reform the game to clarify it.

You can enter all buildings that don't trigger an autosave if i remember right.
    SionIV said:

CaeDares said:

You can enter all buildings that don't trigger an autosave if i remember right.
    Correct, which is mostly buildings that lead to big fights. Either way though, his/her entire party, being multiplayer or not, not resting at the same time is odd and I've looked everywhere for a solution already and it seems he's the first to have done it. Not to accuse, but hes/shes either trolling with us or he's encountered a new bug that he/she should look into trying to do again so we can clarify that it is a bug in the game.
    edited March 2015
    @CaeDares Please don't make trolling accusations so freely. Believe me on this, as I am a beta tester; you would be surprised just how commonly bug reports like this one are posted on the forums. No matter how sketchy or sparse the details and unusual a report may sound, and even if it is something we have never heard of before, we need to make sure to give the report a fair shake. Many people join the forums just to report bugs and we can't have the first thing said to them "That is silly; you must be a troll." That just makes the whole forum look bad. Also keep in mind that most people who report bugs are not super experienced with the function of the BG engine. We should not be placing the task of investigating a bug solely upon them; that is more the job of the devs and beta testers who know their stuff. We may have to ask for further clarification or a save file/screenshot or some such to help us figure things out if we hit a wall, but the job of investigating bugs is ultimately that of those who are the most experienced with the engine, be they volunteers or developers.
    Tresset said:

@CaeDares Please don't make trolling accusations so freely. Believe me on this, as I am a beta tester; you would be surprised just how commonly bug reports like this one are posted on the forums. No matter how sketchy or sparse the details and unusual a report may sound, and even if it is something we have never heard of before, we need to make sure to give the report a fair shake. Many people join the forums just to report bugs and we can't have the first thing said to them "That is silly; you must be a troll." That just makes the whole forum look bad. Also keep in mind that most people who report bugs are not super experienced with the function of the BG engine. We should not be placing the task of investigating a bug solely upon them; that is more the job of the devs and beta testers who know their stuff. We may have to ask for further clarification or a save file/screenshot or some such to help our us figure things out if we hit a wall, but the job of investigating bugs is ultimately that of those who are the most experienced with the engine, be they volunteers or developers.

Which is why I mentioned twice that the possibility of it being a bug should be clarified with some form of evidence.
    @CaeDares You may also be surprised how little we need to figure things out sometimes. It is nice when we get tons of info with a bug report but we don't always need it. Right now my only problem is that I can't MP with 2 or more people at the moment, and otherwise I could probably figure this out on my own.
  • WookieonfireWookieonfire Member Posts: 4
    Hmm, ok. I guess that explains why I haven't found anything else on this. The BG series is my favorite game ever so this seemed odd. We were definitely all together. We didn't think that this might be an issue until we got the to the Friendly Arm. The entire way there my friend and his NPCs kept fatiguing first or the fatigue didn't go away after I rested (I was the protagonist). His character's CON was 17 or 18 (so pretty high). Perhaps we will try again but there was some kind of issue during our first run.

No I am not trolling. I've got much better things to do with my time.

Thank you for the replies.

Hmm, ok. I guess that explains why I haven't found anything else on this. The BG series is my favorite game ever so this seemed odd. We were definitely all together. We didn't think that this might be an issue until we got the to the Friendly Arm. The entire way there my friend and his NPCs kept fatiguing first or the fatigue didn't go away after I rested (I was the protagonist). His character's CON was 17 or 18 (so pretty high). Perhaps we will try again but there was some kind of issue during our first run.

No I am not trolling. I've got much better things to do with my time.

Thank you for the replies.

I apologize for using the word. I have already been spoken to by @Tresset and have agreed not to resort to that word unless I have hard evidence, and in this case, I do not, so I am deeply sorry and hope you can forgive my rudeness.

As for your problem, I'll watch this thread to see other peoples opinions and reports on what the bug could be. I wish you luck.
  • WookieonfireWookieonfire Member Posts: 4
    No harm ... :smiley:
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    Heindrich said:

I am kinda confused, I've been playing in a MP game for well over a year, and we always assumed that you cannot rest unless the party was gathered in the same place.

@ChildofBhaal599 You controlled our Charname, can you confirm this?

keep in mind I am tired and do not wish to read all of the posts, so I'll just answer as best I can

yes, we've always had to be gathered to rest, but that does not sound like the problem. anyway, we know there are some weird stuff with resting, but not like this. for us if somebody times out then their rest state would be set to whatever it was at the start of the session. anyway, for this problem, I am not sure what could be the problem. my 3 suggestions would have to be:

1- we played on IP connection through hamachi in all of BG1. this may be a beamdog server problem only for BG1, considering we've been using beamdog through BG2 with no problem

2- if you didn't give all of the permissions, do so. i don't remember exactly what they all are but it couldn't hurt.

3- allow your friend to host maybe? i know that would mean giving up being the main character, but maybe it will fix your problems? @heindrich had problems hosting, though from what I remember it was mostly a connection issue that we had. things were better with me hosting after that.