Skip to content

Passwords on Multiplayer games

Remind me why so many have "Passowords" on their Multi-player games - I guess they dont want "outsiders" joining???

Comments

• RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    For a long time we resisted passwording our game... but eventually the utter stupidity of those that constantly joined forced us to require one. If one is joining random MP games, the least one can do is ensure they already have a character rolled up!
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Because a lot of people have hacked/modded characters and try to ruin games for people. There's also a ton of people who want to create their own 6-man party (fully customized to how they like it), therefore, they password it so nobody can screw with them.

In the end, no matter what the cause is, there's always a reason; So nobody screws with them.
    CrevsDaakTEMNOZORANlolien
  • Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73
    saying this though people could just untick the listen to join requests option in the permissions for the lobby and it removes their game from the list entirely yet no one seems to make use of this as far as i can tell from the amount of games with one person inside.
    CrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

saying this though people could just untick the listen to join requests option in the permissions for the lobby and it removes their game from the list entirely yet no one seems to make use of this as far as i can tell from the amount of games with one person inside.

People probably either don't know about the option or don't care.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited March 2015
    I think BG multiplayer is best played within a settled group of people with a similar approach to the game. There are so many ways that people like to play the game that if you just randomly joined MP games, it is unlikely that you will find people with whom it just clicks. Not to mention the fact that coordinating actions in MP is much harder than controlling an entire party by yourself.

For example my MP game with forum friends has been played as a roleplay driven "online D&D" game. We spend 10 minutes fighting and 20 minutes bantering about what just happened. All of us have non-optimal characters and we do non-optimal things all the time in theme with our characters. (Like throwing a fireball at an ice barrier when I know it will have no effect.)

That kinda game will drive any powergamer mad within minutes. Similarly if I rolled into a game with a "mere mortal" with no 18 in their stats, and somebody jumps in with an EEkeeper'd 25 in everything, I'd just rage quit instantly.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Heindrich said:

That kinda game will drive any powergamer mad within minutes. Similarly if I rolled into a game with a "mere mortal" with no 18 in their stats, and somebody jumps in with an EEkeeper'd 25 in everything, I'd just rage quit instantly.

Heh, I think I've gotten to the point that any ability over 16 is already time wasted re-reolling (although I min-max, but mostly to give my character the attributes I want, and I aim for a settled score instead). It's not the character who wins the game, but the player.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Drow_ArrowDrow_Arrow Member Posts: 73
    I think we've gone off track from the original post just a tad.

as for what you said @Heindrich it's all swings and roundabouts, while I can understand what your saying, I don't necessarily share the same opinion or view, personally I like to join peoples games randomly because that's how you meet new and interesting adventurers that you may get along with, and if you enjoy your time in their game you may join them again at a later point.

simply put I prefer a more spontaneous and random encounter than a pre-organised event.