Skip to content

Solo mage

Is it possible to solo the mage through BG:EE?

I have never tried it though I can imagine some problems such as relying on poor ranged and melee damage.

Due to limited spells the mage would rely on either slings or darts and possibly staff for sleeping enemies.

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    It is possible. But wants are your friend. The wand of monster summoning, in particular. Get it, sell it, buy it back. It will have 100 charges. I was soloing a kenmage, but it got boring. With the wander of monster summoning, you near endless waves of cannon fodder to stand between you and your enemy while you nuke them to the abyss and back.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    It's one of the easier classes to solo with. The sleep spell takes care of lower levels which are the most difficult for the mage, and once you get a few levels under your belt it's not a question if you can kill the enemy, but which out of the 100 ways you want to do it.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Bahahahahah!
    Let me tell YOU about the Solo Mage, my friend...
    The only spells you need to have to solo BGEE are Web, Greater Malison, Fireball, Chain Lightning (for people with resistance to fire), and every summoning spell you can get your hands on(yes even the low level spells, but ditch those once you get better ones.)
    Seriously. The Mage/Sorcerer dominate Solo BGEE. You have more protection than a fully built Paladin/Dwarven Defender combined and your power is immense, they'll want to overcome you quickly. Just keep your summons up during fights and you'll be fine.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    CaeDares said:

Bahahahahah!
    The only spells you need to have to solo BGEE are Web, Greater Malison, Fireball, Chain Lightning (for people with resistance to fire), and every summoning spell you can get your hands on(yes even the low level spells, but ditch those once you get better ones.)
    Seriously. The Mage/Sorcerer dominate Solo BGEE. You have more protection than a fully built Paladin/Dwarven Defender combined and your power is immense, they'll want to overcome you quickly. Just keep your summons up during fights and you'll be fine.

You don't need to use the fireball spell because you get it from the wands without using one of your 4 spell slots for lvl3. You cannot learn a 6th level spell without a cheat/mod, perhaps you got a chain lightning scroll. If you mean "Lightning Bolt", again there are wands to do the job.

As @Grum and @SionIV said, there are effective lvl1 spells (Sleep, Blind, Spook etc...) and all the wands are your friends. Don't neglect the defensive spells when they become available. The rings and amulets that provide you with additional firepower (or shielding) are useful too.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    CaeDares said:

Bahahahahah!

You can't get chain lightning in BGEE, you can in BG2:EE.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    You can wand your way through almost every issue for a good deal of the game and it'll level you up to get the spells you need to get through the less trivial encounters. It's easy. Helps a lot if you know where to get wands for free early on though.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    wand alone is allowing a lvl 1 char to end the game, and since mage can use it, yeah it's pretty easy to solo mage.

(and even without wand, it's not that hard, especially in unmodded mod, where you can face enemy 1 by 1 (if they ever come from your fog fireball ^^)
  • SpaceSpace Member Posts: 71
    I don't think soloing the mage is as easy as you all say.

Though I dare say it doesn't seem like the most difficult class to solo. Thief seems like the most difficult to solo relying on poor fighting skill and no magic.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Space said:

I don't think soloing the mage is as easy as you all say.

Though I dare say it doesn't seem like the most difficult class to solo. Thief seems like the most difficult to solo relying on poor fighting skill and no magic.

Mage is most definitely one of the easiest classes to solo if not the easiest. Same with Sorcerer.
    It just depends on how you play it. The only thing a Solo mage needs is Web, Fireball, Greater Malison and summoning spells to rip straight through the game.
    Thief depends on a few things...mostly on how you play and what gear you currently have. How good a class is depends solely on your knowledge of the game, gear, and how your character is built.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    A sorcerer can even finish the game with 0 (ZERO!) item. And a mage is definitly stronger 'especially a speciallist one' if you know every encounter and prepare the spell accordingly
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Space said:

Thief seems like the most difficult to solo relying on poor fighting skill and no magic.

One advantage of soloing a thief is that you can rely on Potions/Ring of Invisibility and repeated backstabbing to get through some of the toughest fights in the game. This can make the final battle go very quickly and smoothly, for example.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    joluv said:

Space said:

Thief seems like the most difficult to solo relying on poor fighting skill and no magic.

One advantage of soloing a thief is that you can rely on Potions/Ring of Invisibility and repeated backstabbing to get through some of the toughest fights in the game. This can make the final battle go very quickly and smoothly, for example.
    Not to mention how brutally effective traps are. Want to kill Drizzt? Just fun him through 7 traps.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    There is only one class that is going to have real trouble soloing the game. And that's the monk...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I would like to mention the big thread on this matter:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/30508/which-is-the-most-difficult-solo-single-class-kit-or-no-kit-for-bg-saga

A lot of experienced players have shared their views there.