Skip to content

Advanced Option: Slider Bar for Enemy HP Range

BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
edited June 2012 in Feature Requests
This would look like (from left to right):
1- HP is a random roll within the normal hit die range of the specific enemy. (DEFAULT)
2- HP is a random roll within the upper half of the normal hit die range of the specific enemy.
3- HP is at the maximum amount for the normal hit die range of the specific enemy.
4- HP is at the maximum amount for the normal hit die range of the specific enemy and increased by XX%.

This might be better accompanied by another slider with, say, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, 200%.

Actually I'm not sure when HP are "rolled" for monsters, so I don't know if this can be set properly. There may be bosses that spawn with a set amount of HP regardless, but this may not be problematic though. In the case that all HP is determined at monster spawning, this option may be able to be located next to/ below this Regular Settings Option for Party Level Up HP:
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/719#Comment_719

Otherwise...

This is one in a series of game features I'd like added in a separate settings section called Advanced Options that would be available in a new "Advanced Options" Tab on the regular Settings Screen. It would be entirely optional to even peruse it, clearly designated as "Advanced" (even throwing in "Intended for more experienced players only" if that's deemed necessary). It would mean an in-game tweaking mechanism that would no longer require a mod.
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    This would look like (from left to right):
    1- HP is a random roll within the normal hit die range of the specific enemy. (DEFAULT)
    2- HP is a random roll within the upper half of the normal hit die range of the specific enemy.
    3- HP is at the maximum amount for the normal hit die range of the specific enemy.
    4- Increases prices by XX%.
    One of these is not like the others.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    lol Thanks @Aliteri
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, I think we shouldn't go overboard with sliders for everything.

Like in the case of character HP at level up (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/719#Comment_719) I think there should just be a box that you can tick that enables max NPC HP. Personally I don't find the middle ground option that useful.

Though the slider to increase enemy HP further would make sense. Moving this slider to anything above 0% would automatically enable max NPC HP.
    @Tanthalas There is a mod component that AndreaColombo mentioned on the other thread that involves a single max of all HP, party or enemy, but I do like the NWN-like middle-ground option. I've read people on the Bioware BG forum using it regularly. Actually though, given the experience I tend to have with killing monsters, it's hard to believe that they're not already using the NWN-like version for them since they never die with 1-2 HP damage... except maybe Reevor's rats...
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    While sliders are a cool idea dude, I think you'd get better discussion if you kept them all to one thread. You risk people seeing "yet another" slider thread and declining to comment. If you keep them all in one thread then people can comment about which sliders they feel are a good idea and which aren't and it's easier for the devs to find since they're all in the same place.
    @Kore Breaking the AO up into separate threads is intended to assist the devs. Now each particular AO setting can be discussed (and voted on) separately rather than one thread that is full of a huge amount of disparate discussion which, well, the devs probably won't be following... The idea is to make the request very specific so as to address all the issues of that particular request in its own thread. After all, some of the AO setting requests I've given are more popular or more problematic than others, and the devs are probably keeping this in mind...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Looking at @atcDave 's answer here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/39947/difficulty-and-stats#latest I think the OP's idea is something that can be looked upon now when the majority of bugs is fixed.

I think that now when the latest patch for BG2EE has made it possible to tune whether you get max HP at each level-up or not, maybe the Devs can go further and add some options for enemies' HPs, if not in the game options, then at least in the baldur.ini file.