Skip to content

Single class vs. dual or multi with a party of 6?

I played and replayed the BG trilogy countless times when they first came out. Enough to do each romance and each stronghold quest anyway, but always with single class characters. My enjoyment of the game comes from the party banter and dynamics of the NPCs and charname. I'm not trying to powergame or ascend to godhood before the end of SoA, so going with less than a full 5 companions is unacceptable for me.

After getting into the EE games and browsing around this and other forums I'm beginning a run with a dual class just to see what all the fuss is about, but I'm really wondering if it'll play out in a party. I can see the strength in a solo or small party where leveling happens more quickly and you need the utility, but for the most part, my party MVPs are always the single class characters.

What say you all?

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    It depends on the dual, dualing a thief to a mage/fighter if you only use them for locks and traps can be done easily in bg1.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I personally never dual-class... I just don't like the idea of spending that amount of time playing a character that isn't what I want (while regaining levels in 2nd class)... Maybe I could get behind an early DC, but then it usually just feels like a moderately cheesy way to grab a few extra HP or skills.

The best ideas for DCing that I've heard are ones that get "triggered" by some event in the story...

Like maybe a devil-may-care swashbuckler encounters the Unseeing Eye and realises how important Helm's work is and converts to the faith.

A simple fighter is enamoured by the purity of the Druid Grove?

Or Irenicus' experiments awake some lurking magical talents in an unsuspecting Shadowdancer.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Single and dual classing at an early level works great with a 6 man party, multiclass isn't as efficient but depending on what your classes are, you'll be fine. Try to avoid the F/M/T and F/M/C.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I very rarely play single class charname. Both dual and multi work great even in a full party. Even the FMT.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    abacus said:

I personally never dual-class... I just don't like the idea of spending that amount of time playing a character that isn't what I want (while regaining levels in 2nd class)... Maybe I could get behind an early DC, but then it usually just feels like a moderately cheesy way to grab a few extra HP or skills.

The best ideas for DCing that I've heard are ones that get "triggered" by some event in the story...

Like maybe a devil-may-care swashbuckler encounters the Unseeing Eye and realises how important Helm's work is and converts to the faith.

A simple fighter is enamoured by the purity of the Druid Grove?

Or Irenicus' experiments awake some lurking magical talents in an unsuspecting Shadowdancer.

I very much like this idea and may start RPing accordingly.

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    I've played a FMC and a FMT in a full party. Both work fantastically well in an interesting way that doesn't outshine the NPCs (as duals especially tend to do when they hit their power band) while still being juggernauts of destruction.

Mislead backstabs is enough to say about the FMT.

The FMC is about the realisation that adding the M to the desired FC can only improve enjoyment and power.
  • ElysiumElysium Member Posts: 28
    I really dislike magical or clerical multis in big parties (due to the gap between a pureclass mage and a multi getting wider and wider) and hate soloing (Baldur's Gate is, first and foremost, to me an RPG, not a grindy MMO). I can't bring myself to dual any higher than 10, though.

I agree with abacus that the best way to do DC is with some kind of roleplay in mind. My last DC was a LG fighter who slowly succumbed to the pressure of the harshness of the world and the evil in her blood and friends, culminating in the murder of Minsc and Dynaheir (thank lord for BG1NPC overhaul; just take Edwin, Dynaheir, and Minsc to the Red Wizards in the woods and watch) which led her to LN. After being tortured by Irenicus, she dualed into a thief. More particularly, an Assassin, and she fell to LE by TOB. Between grandmastery in shortbows, 19 STR, high mastery in Short Swords, and poisoned weapons, she was well on her way to fulfilling the prophecy.
  • Max_DamageMax_Damage Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015
    You can always save yourself from frustration and dual class using EE keeper (save modification program). The mods you might install like ascension or SCS will make sure you will have to struggle even then.

In smaller parties 3-4 ppl dual and multiclasses are essential.